Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2018 3:13:34 AM EDT
Realizing that many in the tech forums don't go to GD. I'm reposting this here;

I have been wanting a side folding COMPACT M1A for years. I thought about throwing the LAW TACTICAL folder on a TROY chassis... And I did it! but it was too big and heavy for what I was trying to make. Sheer size was massive. I considered the sliding military stock and it was just not what I was thinking. Similar to the MCS... it was too god damn big and bulky.

I put my M1A scout into a VLTOR chassis. Seemed like a great compromise for it's size as it's just a grip and stock adapter without all the rails and weight.  The next challenge was could I make it into a side folder some how? I got a hold of a person who is a damn good machinist. This is what he made for me. I took my VLTOR stock apart and sent it to him. The buffer tube on the VLTOR stock is a proprietary shape. It allows vertical adjustment instead of being fixed height. The machinist copied it PERFECTLY.

I asked for a 2 slot Picatinny rail so I could put a Side folding SIG MPX stock on it. The MPX stock is strong and VERY thin for what it is.

Here it is. . . pre anodizing. I requested three of them and can't wait to have it in hand. With the PSA BF deal for a SOCOM for 1200... I know what rifle is going in the chassis.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Will post more photos after I get it in hand.

I am not affiliated with the maker of the part in any way. I have never met the person before. I am not selling these. He may at a later date if he wishes to. I just wanted them for my own project.

I did contact VLTOR before I started this... and asked specifically if they would EVER make a side folder option. I was explicitly told... NO.

This is exactly what I have been wanting. Compact 308 m1a that has multiple configurations without being overly complex. Handy to use. The clearance between the stock and lrbho isn't a lot bit it's there. I do plan to paracord wrap the stock and put it on a sage vltor stock. There is a Sig rattler side folder on the way right now as well. It will be a small bit sorter and will align the iron sights easily. The grip is a runner overloaded ergo and it smoothed back the beavertail and fit well. Added a little to the distance to the trigger from the back of the grip and my hand fits it better this way.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Hows the cheek weld?  Is the comb way too low?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
That's very nice.

You should do a Garand next.  

Seriously, I'd love to have a lightweight 16" bbl on the M1A.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is it to shoot with that skeletonized stock?
View Quote
That is some nice work OP.  I can shoot .308 all day long, but I doubt I would like much of it with my cheek on metal.  I hated he metal stock rail on my G3 and only used it for about 5 rounds before changing to a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's very nice.

You should do a Garand next.  

Seriously, I'd love to have a lightweight 16" bbl on the M1A.
View Quote
The socom is going in another Vltor stock I have. Just waiting on the adapter and even smaller stock.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How is it to shoot with that skeletonized stock?
View Quote
It's not bad. Cold mostly. Going to wrap it in paracord for the time being. It will help it a bit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's not bad. Cold mostly. Going to wrap it in paracord for the time being. It will help it a bit.
View Quote
Maybe try some of that para max cord for ultimate plush.

I like it, OP. Very clever!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks good!

I lusted for many, many years for a folder for some of my M1As, and finally got one in the early 2000s.  Hated it- the balance in that rifle was just terrible with the setup.  Long sold it, and went back to traditional stocks on all of them, and moved to folders on other 7.62 platforms instead.  Hope you have a better experience with yours!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
This is insanely cool, thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
How hard is it to swap a bbl in an M1A?  As easy as an M1 Carbine?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Paying Warbird to do it was pretty easy
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This would be the right answer. Not something a typical "AR15 builder" cam do.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Storm Werkz make this adapter in case anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Storm Werkz make this adapter in case anyone is interested.
View Quote
I posted that in the original thread and forgot to post it here. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks damn good
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread has me thinking long and hard about doimg that to this-

So much so that I went ahead and bought that adapter from Stormwerkz.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I am not a fan of the M1A scout or non walnut stocks... but that is fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#19]
almost like a ac556 clone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top