Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2019 3:33:20 AM EDT
Has anyone found the reason for light primer strikes with the RDB?  I have had 6 out of 200 rounds using Federal .223 55gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Check your firing pin isn't broken?  And that the hammer is making proper contact & not misaligned or something.  As hard as the gun beats that poor thing, your problem's gotta be one of those two (I assume you've verified they are light strikes & not gimpy ammo, ie solid primer depressions?)
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Check your firing pin protrusion too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't encountered or heard of that issue yet.

What is your approximate round count? How long have the light strikes been happening? Is there an increase in frequency as more rounds are fired? When was the last time you cleaned the BCG thoroughly? Have you tried other brands of ammunition?

My first thought is there is some gunk somewhere causing the issue, especially if it's occurring about 3% of the time the rifle is fired.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have fired only 200 rounds. All the issues you guys mentioned I have checked for. The primers show a dimple and does fire on a second strike. I did a complete cleaning after each range trip finding no problems. The ammo is Federal bulk pack from Wal-Mart and works great in my AR's. The brass shows no headspace or pressure problems. Could the firing pin be out of spec?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have fired only 200 rounds. All the issues you guys mentioned I have checked for. The primers show a dimple and does fire on a second strike. I did a complete cleaning after each range trip finding no problems. The ammo is Federal bulk pack from Wal-Mart and works great in my AR's. The brass shows no headspace or pressure problems. Could the firing pin be out of spec?
View Quote
I'd try another brand of ammunition to see if that is any better, then I'd contact Kel-Tec. If I was KT, that would be my first question to you. It very well could be your firing pin if all else is GTG.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a firing pin spring?

The newer models don't have the spring, while the older models that did had some issues with light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a firing pin spring?

The newer models don't have the spring, while the older models that did had some issues with light primer strikes.
View Quote
I have both the RDB17 (with the trigger return spring) and the RDB20 (with the inertia firing pin without the return spring).

I don't have light strikes with either.

Probably not worth much for this discussion, but just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
No firing pin spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top