Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2019 8:50:42 PM EDT
Went to prime for the first time tonight. My question is...when pulling the lever, you hit a “wall” towards the end of the pull. I assume this is when the primer is seated? Are you supposed to continue pulling after this? Are you supposed to pull it all the way in? The manual only talks about “feel” and .003-.005”.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
In for the replies as I have been considering one of these
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I only pull to the wall, and try to be consistent on the pressure I arrive at the wall with.. I do not try to pull thru the wall....
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Just check after you primer to make sure primer is seated. ( standing on edge is a fast test)

I've gave some pretty good pressure and I've never damaged my primers ( unless primer pocket wasn't swaged enough) I don't think you can go further than intended, but it's a feel thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always just pulled it all the way in
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the tool, it's great once you get the feel of it.
I just absolutely hate changing the shell holder...its a total pain in the ass to get the spring and rod down sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just absolutely hate changing the shell holder...its a total pain in the ass to get the spring and rod down sometimes.
View Quote
Which tool? I have the universal one and it's pretty easy to use. Changing the large/small primer rod is a slight hassle but easy enough.

OP, as others have said it's kind of a feeling you develop. I have no idea if I've developed it or not. My primers go bang so guess that's what matters. To answer your question, I think I somewhat push through that "wall" to get them slightly below flush. Could just be the way my particular tool works/feels. Never seemed to crush anything.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Meh, buy a second one, leave one set for large primers and one for small primers...
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought two of the Universal model and returned both. Neither would fully seat primers with consistency and the manual effort was needlessly heavy. I had one of the older models years ago. While a shell holder changeover with that tool was a bit more trouble than with other hand priming tools, the unit was a much better one than the Universal model.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Meh, buy a second one, leave one set for large primers and one for small primers...
View Quote
This is what I was thinking as soon as I had to switch from large to small primers haha
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Which tool? I have the universal one and it's pretty easy to use. Changing the large/small primer rod is a slight hassle but easy enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had the older one and had to change shell holders, but it started to not seat the primers all the way.

Bought the newer one, and wasn't sure if I was going to like the way it worked. But as it turns out, I am impressed with it and I think it works a lot easier with not changing shell holders out. The only drawback I have found so far, is if I put enough pressure on it the casing will pop out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Universal works just fine for me. Just squeeze till it stops.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll admit that I'm a primer crusher, but all my rounds go bang.

I usually go past the wall and squeeze until the tool is completely closed.

I need to quit that, especially on my precision rifle loads, and see how the numbers are affected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top