Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 9:58:25 PM EDT
I recently tried to reload some 6.5 Grendel using RCBS 264 LBC-AR-SB dies (I've been using their dies for almost 35 yrs), I noticed a lot of force was required to resize the brass and as you can see it left a ridge at the base of the casing .  Just to make sure I didn't screw things up I rechecked that I had properly installed the die in my RCII press and tried another piece of brass and it came out as screwed up as the first.  Has anyone seen this before??  I'm going to call RCBS tomorrow and see what they say.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
RCBS has evacuated due to the wildfires in CA, keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Measure a fired and a loaded case and compare the dimensions. The fired case should be around .4426 -.443, the loaded round about .4410, ahead of the extractor groove.

Then measure the die if you can and compare. You might have a tight sizing die or a "loose" chamber, either of which could cause your problem.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a set of Hornady 6.5 Grendel Custom Dies to compare against the RCBS dies.  Just as I suspected the RCBS dies are out of spec, the Hornady dies work perfectly.  I’ll give RCBS some recovery time from the local wildfires and send them back for correction.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I went straight to For-ster for 6.5 Grendel dies, I'm surprised they bothered designating a specific LBC die.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You are aware that "SB" stands for small base?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are aware that "SB" stands for small base?
View Quote
Yes, I have several sets of regular and SB dies in the same caliber that I’ve been using for over 30 years, I usually use the SB for semi-autos and regular dies for everything else.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know, but I have had a similar thing happen with over pressure rounds in the 6.5 G.

When I tried to re-size them, they came out looking like belted mags.  On all of them, the base of the case was overly expanded due to the excessive pressure.

But, I was not using small base dies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, I have several sets of regular and SB dies in the same caliber that I’ve been using for over 30 years, I usually use the SB for semi-autos and regular dies for everything else.
View Quote
Cool, just checking a troubleshooting box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top