Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2021 3:43:56 PM EDT
Well I finally got it done. I’ve been on Gun Broker for over a week trying to get one of these guns. I finally won the bid on one. It wasn’t ‘t a bargain, I paid suggested retail plus shipping but in this market that’s as close as I could get to one. It’ll be at my local ffl next week. I’ll post my impressions when the gun is in hand.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the savage axis. Not because I wanted to,  because the Ruger 556 RAR is no where to be found around here. Hoping someone creates a retrofit kit to use AR mags. In my defense,  I got it for $225 after rebate. Field and Stream price matched during black Friday sales. Ive not even mounted a scope yet. Maybe magpul will do a stock that takes AR mags...
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Guns are sold out around here. I went to WM this morning & the only guns they had were black powder hunting rifles. Ammo is wiped out too.
That’s why I went to Gun Broker. There are several RARs there but most are selling in the $600 range. I got lucky and got one for $552, three bucks over msrp plus the shipping. I didn’t get burned for the sales tax because the dealer had his own check out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
After seeing so many issues with some brands of proprietary bolt action mags, not just Ruger, I think the Ranch/Predators running AR mags is brilliant, and both my Ranch & Predator run fine. I was concerned that some brands of mags had some front-back play but even the loosest fit couldn’t be made to induce a fail to feed.

The only mags I don’t like are PMAG followers keep the bolt from closing on empty. Same for Magpul replacement GI followers. But a few minutes with a file can fix that. D&H, E-landers, Fab Defence & Surefeeds don’t have this problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive been looking for a few months now for a RAR in 300blk and just found on in Academy last week (literally the inly rifle on the self). But at the same time i got 3-5 email notifications that it was instock at certain retailers.

I was not going to pay gunbroker prices.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After seeing so many issues with some brands of proprietary bolt action mags, not just Ruger, I think the Ranch/Predators running AR mags is brilliant, and both my Ranch & Predator run fine. I was concerned that some brands of mags had some front-back play but even the loosest fit couldn’t be made to induce a fail to feed.

The only mags I don’t like are PMAG followers keep the bolt from closing on empty. Same for Magpul replacement GI followers. But a few minutes with a file can fix that. D&H, E-landers, Fab Defence & Surefeeds don’t have this problem.
View Quote

Yes i hate that the bolt doesnt close with an empty mag but ill take that over Rugers rotary mags. I have a Predator and hate that mag.

As I look at the design of the Ranch rifle the bolts that hold the stock attached are in different locations compared to my Predator so I doubt there will ever be a retro fit to use the LR-308 pmag.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn’t Mossberg the only AR10 mag fed .308 bolt action?  

Years ago I saw one on clearance at my local Academy Sports, crazy cheap. Didn’t shoot .308 at the time and the few posts I’d seen weren’t encouraging. But kinda wished I’d taken a chance.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked it up at my FFL this evening. It came  with a 10 round PMag & I see what you guys mean about the follower. A few minutes with a file ought to fix it.
I cycled some dummies through the gun with a few different mags and haven’t come across any that won’t work.
After seeing all the reviews about how crappy the stock is my expectations were suitably lowered to the point that I don’t thinks it’s all that bad. It doesn’t seem flexible to any great degree & there’s no contact with the barrel. There is a bit of flash here and there & I’ll take care of that with an Emory board tomorrow.
I have three or four different scopes lying around that are already set in Warne QD rings that I may try out tomorrow weather permitting. Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I don’t have a problem with the Ruger factory stock, other than the color. Fixed that with some spray paint.
It’s an improvement over the flimsier first gen stock, and it’s very light.
I may replace the stock on my 6.5G Predator with a Boyd’s one day but that setup fills a different role.

But if Magpul ever rolls out a stock for the AR mag Ranchs I might be tempted. Nothing much to look at but very practical.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Sportsmans Guide has some in stock today, $454 + shipping with code gunsngear.

Ruger American Ranch 5.56

Ruger now has a version with camo stock, cerakote finish and 20rd mag, Ruger American Yote.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder why the Yote is chambered for .223 Rem.  instead of 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Found me one today at Bass Pro for $449 and they took 5% off that price since it was the last one.  Total was like $462.75 so I was pretty happy being that I got one at a good price.  Don't think I've ever got a firearm at Bass Pro for a good price.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the original rotary mag version and those mags suck.
It just sits in the corner of the safe and will stay there as a loaner youth rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top