Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2017 9:23:28 AM EDT
Took my SCAR 17 out for a little range session. Shot it off the Atlas bipod and prone for the first time.

I'm very pleased with the results from this semi auto piston gun.

Attachment Attached File

I was shooting 168grn GMM with a Leupold 2-7 scope. I could probably tighten things up with a more powerful scope.

Just thought I would share for those asking if the SCAR is accurate enough. For me it is.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing. Are those 2" squares?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been impressed as well.  When the weather cools down I would like to do some side by side comparisons of Hk 91, FNFAL, M1A, and the SCAR 17.  The weight, reliability, and accuracy of the SCAR 17 make it hard to hate for me.......so far.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
What distance? 100 yards?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
1" squares at 100 yards. Do they even make targets with 2" squares?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

My setup. Geissele super scar trigger is great.

Ran the group through some measuring software. But I'm looking at the numbers, and I'm not sure they are correct. Can anyone verify for me?

Attachment Attached File

Now the greatest trick will be to repeat it!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a great group. .......and to lift your spirits....it can get better

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn! Did you hand load to get that?  

Details man!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Details man!
View Quote
Call it a little luck. I wanted to hunt with it so I grabbed some old handloads I'd worked up for one of my Sako 308s and tried them at the range. Well, as luck would have it, the SCAR loved them. Hornady 150gr SP flat base, Winchester brass and primer and 49.5gr of Win. 748 (this is pretty warm so load at your own risk).Bullet is seated at the cannelur.

Oh yea.....they got the job done too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice!  Is that a can i see tucked next to your leg?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice!  Is that a can i see tucked next to your leg?
View Quote
Yep. Thunderbeast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Best I got was 1.5 Moa with 168 SMK.  Im still working on it.  The stock triggers was messing me up so I just installed a 2 stage.  I know I can get 1 MOA.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Best I got was 1.5 Moa with 168 SMK.  Im still working on it.  The stock triggers was messing me up so I just installed a 2 stage.  I know I can get 1 MOA.
View Quote
Yea, the trigger needs some help. I replaced both of mine with the Shooting Sight trigger and have been very pleased.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#13]
If anyone knows how to make a precision chrome lined barrel it’s FN. I’ve never really made a true effort to measure mine, it’s never been properly benched with a precision optic, but I’d bet the 17 would do better than most give it credit for. Even with Hirt ball and an ACOG mine does baseball sized groups.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If anyone knows how to make a precision chrome lined barrel it’s FN .
View Quote
I think FN is one of the few mfg if not the only one that makes a bolt action rifle with CL barrel.

Is not that CL are inaccurate is just that it’s damn difficult&expensive to make one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think FN is one of the few mfg if not the only one that makes a bolt action rifle with CL barrel.

Is not that CL are inaccurate is just that it’s damn difficult&expensive to make one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone knows how to make a precision chrome lined barrel it’s FN .

Their SPR line should be much more popular than it is, those chromed barrels shoot superb. FN has their chrome lining down pat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Their SPR line should be much more popular than it is, those chromed barrels shoot superb. FN has their chrome lining down pat.
View Quote
I have one of the discontinued 24" TSR-XP's in 308 that came with their cl hammer forged barrels. I have shoot for groups out to 200 with 150gr Federal Copper Trophy. It is smoking at an average of about 2888 fps and I am getting right at about MOA with a 3x9x40 Trijicon Accupoint. Really great bolt gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice shooting.

Guys around work have been known to shoot sub MOA with 168gr TAP in theirs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Had similar results with the same ammo using a ta11 Acog on my friends 17, I was quite suprised actually. Good shooting
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Non-owners and SCAR haters don't believe the SCAR 16 and 17 are capable of moa and sub moa results. They really are with quality ammo and a decent shooter behind it. The SCAR is a very impressive platform. Just ignore the price tag for entry.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here. Even after a G trigger mine wouldn’t do better than that with 155’s or 168’s. It shot 175’s to 2” and I don’t think they were stable. I like the SCAR...but from what I’ve seen it takes some luck to get a good shooting 17.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#21]
While the accuracy is awesome out of the SCAR what is truly amazing is how the barrel continues to post good groups as the barrel gets warmer and hotter.

I did a pro-longed shooting session of about a 220 rounds slow fire(a few seconds between shot just long to line up and press) but maybe a minute break between each mag or waiting for the other guy to finish his round.  Ambient temp was 98F with a slight breeze.  A few buddies and I were shooting my SCAR, random AR-10 build, tOBR, SR25(M110 clonish riflle), my M1a & Model 70 Winchester (bull barrel)  As the barrels heated up the SCAR and my Model 70 held closest to original groups the tOBR faired the next best but began to open up near the end not anything drastic though and the others once the barrels got hot the accuracy really opened up.  I was a little shocked that the SCAR kind of maintained a baseline the whole entire time and never really hit a point where the accuracy just dropped off maybe it is the CHF barrel but I am not sure all I know is I could still consistently get hits at 400-500 on the small plates we were shooting.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While the accuracy is awesome out of the SCAR what is truly amazing is how the barrel continues to post good groups as the barrel gets warmer and hotter.

I did a pro-longed shooting session of about a 220 rounds slow fire(a few seconds between shot just long to line up and press) but maybe a minute break between each mag or waiting for the other guy to finish his round.  Ambient temp was 98F with a slight breeze.  A few buddies and I were shooting my SCAR, random AR-10 build, tOBR, SR25(M110 clonish riflle), my M1a & Model 70 Winchester (bull barrel)  As the barrels heated up the SCAR and my Model 70 held closest to original groups the tOBR faired the next best but began to open up near the end not anything drastic though and the others once the barrels got hot the accuracy really opened up.  I was a little shocked that the SCAR kind of maintained a baseline the whole entire time and never really hit a point where the accuracy just dropped off maybe it is the CHF barrel but I am not sure all I know is I could still consistently get hits at 400-500 on the small plates we were shooting.
View Quote
Pencil barrel heats up quicker than a thicker profile barrel, but it also cools off faster than the thicker barrels.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pencil barrel heats up quicker than a thicker profile barrel, but it also cools off faster than the thicker barrels.
View Quote
I know that but even when the barrel has mirage coming off it the accuracy did not change as drastic as others.  I know this is sample size of 1 but the other SCARs that my shooting buddies have and other reports seems to kind of back up that the SCAR does really well when hot compared to others.  One of the guys with us had an AR10 build with similar profile barrel to the SCAR but once he got hot his groups opened up quite dramatically.(not sure the barrel used in the rifle)  My M70 Win with a bull barrel once hot did not change much it was on par with the SCAR.  Anyone else experienced having a hot SCAR barrel?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not a "pencil" barrel. It might not be the heaviest profile barrel in a battle rifle but for a 30 cal. barrel it's not thin either. It's considered a "moderate" profile at .66" in diameter. You want a pencil barrel then you're looking at something in the .6" or under for 308 cal. If it were a bolt action barrel it'd be between a number 4 and number 5 contour, a pencil barrel being a number 1 at .550" muzzle diameter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know that but even when the barrel has mirage coming off it the accuracy did not change as drastic as others.  I know this is sample size of 1 but the other SCARs that my shooting buddies have and other reports seems to kind of back up that the SCAR does really well when hot compared to others.  One of the guys with us had an AR10 build with similar profile barrel to the SCAR but once he got hot his groups opened up quite dramatically.(not sure the barrel used in the rifle)  My M70 Win with a bull barrel once hot did not change much it was on par with the SCAR.  Anyone else experienced having a hot SCAR barrel?
View Quote
Only been out a few time with my 20" barrel, got it later last year, but when plinking with surplus at 300 and 400 10" steel targets I wind up with roughly 4-5" groups on the steel and I'm going through 40 rounds with a shot every 5-15 seconds heating the barrel/suppressor up pretty good. Stays consistent and has no trouble keeping them well on target. Plan on running it out to 700 and 800 this year once the weather gets better.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Only been out a few time with my 20" barrel, got it later last year, but when plinking with surplus at 300 and 400 10" steel targets I wind up with roughly 4-5" groups on the steel and I'm going through 40 rounds with a shot every 5-15 seconds heating the barrel/suppressor up pretty good. Stays consistent and has no trouble keeping them well on target. Plan on running it out to 700 and 800 this year once the weather gets better.
View Quote
What 20" barrel are you using?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OEM FNH barrel. They finally released them to the public roughly a year ago. My problem is getting out to my buddies land almost two hours away. This year I'm going to make a concerted effort to go out a lot more.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#28]
i want to go with a factory 13" but 1/12 in such a short barrel doesnt make me feel warm and fuzzy about accuracy/velocity at "longer" ranges

FN y u no 1/10?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Both my 16 and 17 will shoot moa no problem.  My 17 though really shifts a few inches from cold bore to hot.  I shoot 2-3 rds before trying to shoot a group if the bore is completely cold (first time shooting tbat day)
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i want to go with a factory 13" but 1/12 in such a short barrel doesnt make me feel warm and fuzzy about accuracy/velocity at "longer" ranges

FN y u no 1/10?
View Quote
I have shot my 13" SCAR Heavy out to 800 meters at one of the Range 37 unknown distance ranges.  Confirmed 1 MOA groups on paper at 100 meters and it held that accuracy solidly out to 700; after that the bullets starts to go tran-sonic and the hits got MUCH more challenging.  I cheated though.  One of their SFARTAETC instructors was spotting and calling DOPE for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Great that's really good!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Great shooting.

I bought my SCAR 17S in 2012. It’s sat in the safe since then.

It has a Geissele trigger.

I took it out today for the first time to sight it in.

I didn’t hit the paper because it was shooting 17” high!

Finally figured out where they were going.

Using S&B 147gr ammo, I have a 3 shot group about 0.8”, and my next group, 5 round was 1.2”.

That’s a Vortex Razor HD 2 1-6 scope.

Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Call it a little luck. I wanted to hunt with it so I grabbed some old handloads I'd worked up for one of my Sako 308s and tried them at the range. Well, as luck would have it, the SCAR loved them. Hornady 150gr SP flat base, Winchester brass and primer and 49.5gr of Win. 748 (this is pretty warm so load at your own risk).Bullet is seated at the cannelur.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92852/IMG-36282-263895.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details man!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92852/IMG-36282-263895.JPG
Great shooting. But don't forget, you also have the more accurate 17s since you went with the black over the FDE.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Great shooting.

I bought my SCAR 17S in 2012. It’s sat in the safe since then.

It has a Geissele trigger.

I took it out today for the first time to sight it in.

I didn’t hit the paper because it was shooting 17” high!

Finally figured out where they were going.

Using S&B 147gr ammo, I have a 3 shot group about 0.8”, and my next group, 5 round was 1.2”.

That’s a Vortex Razor HD 2 1-6 scope.

http://i.imgur.com/0b9VrNJ.jpg
View Quote
Very nice performance, and sharp-looking rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top