Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2018 6:53:40 PM EDT
How does CCI's 'quiet' ammo compare to a 22 short? I'd like to get some quiet 22 ammo to use in my Henry lever action.

EDIT: I have CCI 22lr short HPs going at ~1100 FPS and they're a lot louder than I'd like them to be. also considering the "CB" option as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Very similar and maybe a little quieter. I use them in my Ruger bolt sometimes. The rest of the time, I tend to use CCI standard velocity, which is super quiet as well and my preference for it is that it will also cycle my semi-autos.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If quite is what you want, this.22 COLIBRÍ / LONG RIFLE SUBSONIC LEAD BULLET is what you seek..
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
It's super quiet stuff out of my bolt gun with a 16 inch barrel. Groups reasonably well and kills squirrels and gophers
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I love it, so much that I got rid of my pellet guns.

I put a ball bearing behind the charging handle of my AR7.
Just so It would stay out all the time...

So I could cock it easier, after every shot with Quiet .22's
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the recommendations. Given how cheap the ammo is, I'll probably pick up the colibri, the cci quiet and the CB shorts and just try all three. It's not like ammo goes bad any time soon, especially in a sealed ammo can being kept in a climate controlled room.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#6]
quiet Cobri stuff is silly quiet. as in literally it's louder to dryfire a bolt gun than one of these rounds, especially with a can. It's hard to ID it as a gunshot, and my red ryder makes more noise. Some of them drop like rocks once fired, and trying to make hits at 100 yards had the bullet hit dirt at I think 60 yards out. So a 7+ foot holdover. really fun though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If quite is what you want, this.22 COLIBRÍ / LONG RIFLE SUBSONIC LEAD BULLET is what you seek..
View Quote
This times 1000. I accidentally thought this stuff was regular bullets when I grabbed it. I tossed it in my freshly suppressed Smith 422 and it was quieter than a cap gun. Remember I’m still thinking this is normal .22

Then I shoot my subs and it was WAY louder. I thought I was in bizzaro land until I figured out it was gunpowderless subsonic stuff.

And that was out of a 4 inch barrel. I couldn’t imagine a 16 inch bolt gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:49:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Grabbed a 100 round 'case' of the CB shorts and a 50 round box of the 22 quiets. My local store didn't have the Aguila. If I see a crow or mocking bird tomorrow I'll try it out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I keep a Henry levergun loaded with 22 CB caps for varmints in the yard (I live in the woods).  I have a pellet gun that is louder.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I like it, but try the 60 gr auguila.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#11]
The cci quiets are pretty good. I keep a few hundred around for my daughter’s kricket. I have shot a handful through my suppressed 10/22 manually cycling them and it’s beyond hollywood quiet.

Whatever low velocity stuff you try, sight in before trying it out on an animal. Even inside 50 yards it’s funny to see the rainbow arc trajectory through your scope. I personally wouldn’t shoot anything live over about 25 yards. You could go farther but you would have to shoot a lot to get the drop right.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Any issues with suppressors and fowling or baffle strikes since it only is going 710fps. Barely even moving.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I've shot probably 2k or more of cci quiets. Velocity can be hit or miss.

I recently started chronoing them to see if that would account for my occasional misses. I did about 75 of them for laughs on day. Lowest was 635, highest was 740. Most seem to cluster around 710. I had grand ambitions to chart all of it and run a big test, but alas, here we are with my memory.

Sadly I can't suppress them, as I'm in Canada, but they are quiet enough that I don't disturb the neighbors about 175m away.

I normally shoot them @ about 100 yards. Wind screws them up, especially with the velocity swings. I have a 10" w/ 2"  "heart attack" plate that's fun enough to ring when I'm bored, and can normally go 8/10 out of a mag on the 2" center if i'm concentrating.

Come up is about 6.6-6.7 Mils on my nightforce w/ a 25 yard zero.

I've shot a few grouse with them, and not overly recommended. They worked, but it wasn't a perfect lights out.

They are plenty fun for plunking around, I probably will keep shooting them just for laughs, as I enjoy lobbing the damn things down range. After November passes, and the snow beats some grass down, I plan to stretch them out to 200 if I can get that much come up with my NF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top