Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2020 10:06:13 PM EDT
Would rather not have to buy one of those Frankford Arsenal magnets if I can help it.

(I have a HFT tumbler)

I'm going to empty the drums into a large fine mesh strainer/colander to drain off the dirty water and maybe rinse it a bit. I've got my RCBS media separator set up with the bottom tub filled with water. I'll dump the strainer of brass/pins into the media separator and slowly crank the basket then drain off the water out of the tub to collect the pins hopefully without losing any.

Also helps wash the media which I hear needs to be cleaned on occasion although these are brand new pins.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
By the time I'd read Dryflash3's response I'd already finished.

Like a boss.

Separating pins from the brass took at most a minute and I didn't lose a single pin.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I use an RCBS media separator filled with water

The frankford arsenal magnet makes picking up stray pins so much easier.  I got one and it made me feel stupid for not getting it years ago.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Spend more money..

Best investment I made for ss pins it takes seconds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The magnet also helps transferring pins back to the tumbler without using water.  I pour all the water out of my media separator and then transfer the pins back to the tumbler.  I store it with the lid off so the residual moisture evaporates leaving dried pins so they don't dust.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I put the magnet in a plastic bag to keep an water out of the inner workings... otherwise it will rust if it gets wet. Happened to mine so I put some WD40 down the stem to coat the metal parts. No problem with rust after that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The magnet buys a lot of convenience. Also makes it quite a bit easier to pick out metal cases.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't have issues getting my pins back into the tumbler.  I take the top off the media separator, take the basket out, and then pour the pins back into the tumbler drum.  A few don't want to cooperate, but I use a fake credit card as a scraper to get the holdouts back with the rest of the gang.

One thing I found that makes separating the pins from the brass smoother: don't rinse the stuff much at all.  That little bit of residual soapiness helps the pins slip freely, where if they are too well rinsed (in my high-calcium water), they stick to all sorts of stuff from surface tension.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I just use a split bucket , dump the contents in one side, fill with water, and then pick the brass up with the neck down and shake in the water, 99.9% of the pins will slide right out in the water, then I drop the clean cases on the other side of the bucket....once they are all separated I dump the cases and pins on a  large towel..I roll the cases around and stand them neck down in ammo trays if I don't need them now, if I do they go on a cookie sheet and in the over for an hour on its lowest setting... pins get spread out on the towel to dry over night, with me moving them around several times to uncover the wet ones....very simple, very quick...I do use a FA magnet for pickup as needed...Of course, I haven't even been using pins for the last 6 months, but if I need to this method has worked well for me...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#12]
At some point I will replace the RCBS media separator with a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series wet/dry media separator.

The RCBS unit is flimsy; the "hinges" on the inner crank basket come apart and some of the hinge hooks have broken.

The FA model appears to be very well designed. I like the screened drain hole in the "lid" and the hinge and clasp on the inner crank basket appear to be robust.

NEW Frankford Arsenal Wet/Dry Separator
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The RCBS unit is flimsy; the "hinges" on the inner crank basket come apart and some of the hinge hooks have broken.
View Quote
My RCBS separator had been “about to” break its cover hinges for quite some time, though the basket is still solid.

I haven’t decided if I want to kludge up new hinges, give up on hinges and just use clamps on the back, or “other.”  Since I use this separator after tumbling off sizing lube, I do kinda need it to stay closed....

I use a different separator - same design, this one sourced from Berry’s Manufacturing (it’s purple and black, instead of green and black) - to separate my brass and pins.  I guess I learned what not to do with the RCBS separator, because the Berry’s is still solid.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
A bit off-topic but you would have thought that by now Dillon Precision would have designed and marketed their own rotary tumbler and covered media separator.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A bit off-topic but you would have thought that by now Dillon Precision would have designed and marketed their own rotary tumbler and covered media separator.
View Quote
No tumbler, but they do already market a media separator.  Although, like everything else from Dillon it is more expensive then their competitor's.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/cm-2000-case-media-separator_8_8_23662.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No tumbler, but they do already market a media separator.  Although, like everything else from Dillon it is more expensive then their competitor's.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/cm-2000-case-media-separator_8_8_23662.html
View Quote
I used to own the smaller one. Built like a tank but it needs a lid.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Magnets are not needed for separating cases from pins.

Picking up stray pins, sure, but you don't need a giant magnet to pick up 5-10 pins.
View Quote
Obviously that FA magnet is for transferring all your pins back into a FART tumbling cylinder but as my tumbler is a little HFT no worries.

I did purchase an HFT "30 lb. handle magnet" for $2.99. I tied a paracord loop onto the handle and wrapped the body in a 1 qt. heavy-duty freezer ziploc bag.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-lb-capacity-powerful-handle-magnets-67156.html

Smaller than it looks. About the size of a pack of cigarettes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#18]
The freezer bag is a necessary addition when managing pins.  The little buggers stick too well to a powerful magnet and you just can't get 'em off.

I use a much smaller magnet for shagging errant pins.  It's about the size of a standard domino (found at Lowes).  I wrap it in wax paper for the same purpose.  It makes that "oops!" moment when I run into something while handling loose pins much less of a problem.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
HFT has those "domino" shaped magnets aka "Craft Magnets" 2 fer .99 they're in the little section with the toys.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
At some point I will replace the RCBS media separator with a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series wet/dry media separator.

The FA model appears to be very well designed. I like the screened drain hole in the "lid" and the hinge and clasp on the inner crank basket appear to be robust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xViGuvT_0
View Quote
This is what I use. I think I got it on an Amazon Warehouse deal for around $25. Works great and is quite sturdy. It also makes it easy to rinse both the brass and the pins when separated. Been meaning to get the magnet as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I use one of these telescoping pocket magnets for errant pins.  It reaches inside the garbage disposal, around the garage floor, or other odd places those little pins end up.

I don’t use a magnet to separate pins from brass.  I just use a typical media separator as many above have described.

The pocket magnets are available at Harbor Freight or other hardware stores for a few bucks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use one of these telescoping pocket magnets for errant pins.  It reaches inside the garbage disposal, around the garage floor, or other odd places those little pins end up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188107/246B6E08-D47D-42E5-A542-709177BD1039_jpe-1281031.JPG
View Quote
I'm glad we have a double kitchen sink vs. a single sink with a disposal. That's a recipe for trouble.

I just do the pin separation thing outside.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I separate in the non-disposal side of the sink.

I found stainless steel mesh drain baskets that I place over BOTH drains when I mess with stainless pins in the sink, and they certainly stop pins.  Almost always, the few pins that occasionally get away from me in the sink are easy to snag by hand.  But the ones that get to the floor...that's what I need a magnet for.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#24]
While out doing errands I noticed that Big! Lots sells a set of 3 fine mesh strainers (Oneida brand, I believe) for $9. They also sell a set of 3 fine mesh colanders but didn't see a price. Probably comparable to the strainers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top