Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2020 3:49:35 AM EDT
I've searched but Google has not answered my question.

Has any reviewer dissected one?  Is there Kraton hard polymer or some sort of tube underneath the soft Dynaflex on the handle?  

Basically, if the Dynaflex was peeled or dry rotted away, is the tang exposed or is the bayonet still servicable, albeit less comfortable?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 4:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]

My mistake, the above looks like an m9.

Looks like full tang with the end peened over the butt cap.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I found your first picture online but that is either a prototype assembled like an M9 or a fake.

The handle in the first picture also appears to be a hard M9 like plastic with different texture than the OKC 3S and not the the Dynaflex material.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
From looking at the photo of the assembled bayonet that has the end cap/pommel peened onto the tang, it would make sense that the tang is as wide as the piece that was peened over.  I would measure the exposed part of the peened over tang, subtract enough for the peened over portion, and that would give me the size of the tang.  

I'm guessing that the tang is as thick as the knife blade steel (around .20 IIRC) and it looks like it is .5-.75" wide.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I understand it is a full length rat tail or tapered tang.  

Just curious now concerning the construction of the grip.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Popsicle tang.

I don’t think it would work as a bayonet without the dynaflex as I think handle helps stabilize the pommel.

Would work as a crappy knife without the dynaflex.  Bayonets rarely make good knives.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Found a few pictures of the prototype trial version sans handle .  It may work as a bayonet without the dynaflex.

Curious why you ask?  If you’re wanting a Book Of Eli / TEOTW blade ... you’re not on the right track with a bayonet. You’d be better off with a Busse Combat or ESEE or similar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at reviews/tests of Ontario's old SP-6 Fighter (this bayonet's daddy from the 1990s), the OKC Freedom Fighter, and the OKC Chimera. These are all basically the same, but the FF and Chimera use threaded pommels, while the SP6 had a rivet through the tang securing the Kraton handle. All are full tang construction.

Paul Tsujimoto (Toooj) designed the SP-6 around 1993 using the Randall Fighter knife as his inspiration for the blade's shape.

If you want a great combo bayonet / fighting knife I recommend Eickhorn's Bayonet 2000 or 2005. These are available with or without a wire cutter function.

The USMC was going to adopt the Eickhorn, but domestic knife industry lobbyists pitched a fit, and OKC ended up getting the new contract.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  No, not looking for a do it all knife or anything like that.  Was more curious as to just how it was made and what if the Dynaflex dry rotted away? If Kraton is under there, it would still theoretically be servicable without the Dynaflex covering.  Just thought it odd I could find nothing in the internet beyond that picture of the prototype.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at reviews/tests of Ontario's old SP-6 Fighter (this bayonet's daddy from the 1990s), the OKC Freedom Fighter, and the OKC Chimera. These are all basically the same, but the FF and Chimera use threaded pommels, while the SP6 had a rivet through the tang securing the Kraton handle. All are full tang construction.

Paul Tsujimoto (Toooj) designed the SP-6 around 1993 using the Randall Fighter knife as his inspiration for the blade's shape.

If you want a great combo bayonet / fighting knife I recommend Eickhorn's Bayonet 2000 or 2005. These are available with or without a wire cutter function.

The USMC was going to adopt the Eickhorn, but domestic knife industry lobbyists pitched a fit, and OKC ended up getting the new contract.
View Quote

I bought my first Eickhorn (a KCB70) back in 1984 for my first AR15.  It was a fantastic bayonet.  I had that one on my civilian-use ALICE gear for a lot of years until someone pointed out it was actually a Stoner 63 bayonet ... and worth a lot.  I've also had several Eickhorns (of the same general design) for the various HK90-Series rifles I owned during the 1990's.  I always thought it was the best bayonet on the market, and the wire cutter does work.

Googled the 2000, and it is a definite deviation from the versions I had but if the quality is similar I would expect good results.

Googled the 2005, and the design seems to have returned to a KCB70esque.

OP, burn off or cut open the dynaflex since this seems to be really important to you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OP, burn off or cut open the dynaflex since this seems to be really important to you.
View Quote

No.  I did email Ontario.  Its not really important, again just curious as to exactly how its made.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yK9rFqM4Yz

Mayorfuglycool in case the link doesn't work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
CBSAF ... The tang under an OKC 3S is a full tang that extends all the way to the latch place where it is peened permanently unlike the M9 style bayonet. The first series of bayonets provided to the USMC before the full-blown production bayonets (OKC 3S) were supplied were called the Ontario Knife Company (OKC) 1st Fielded Prototypes. Only 500 of these were purchased and received by the USMC and they assemble and disassemble just like an M9 and I believe the grip/handle parts are interchangeable if necessary. The primary difference between the 'OKC 1st Fielded Prototype' and the 'OKC 3S' is the grip/handle assemble assembly. Although the blade profile (called the Spec 3) is the same between the two bayonets, the OKC 1st Fielded Prototype has a grip assembly that disassembles. The OKC 1st Fielded Prototype has a crossguard shaped exactly like the one on an M9 bayonet; the handle is ergonomic and hard plastic (not soft Dynaflex like the OKC 3S) and has a cross-hatched basket weave pattern with a night time indicator button/nub on top of the handle just behind the crossguard. The handle also has "USMC" and the Globe and Anchor in both oval depressions on both sides of the handle; the pommel/latch plate assemble screws onto a threaded tang rod. This tang rod also threads onto the blade similar to the M9. Overall the OKC 1st Fielded Prototype looks like a cross-breed between the OKC 3S and an M9 and disassembles like an M9 bayonet ... all the while an OKC 3S full production version has a full tang and does not disassemble.  The 1st Fielded Prototypes are very rare/scare. Some are starting to show up as surplus/decommissioned bayonets on auction sites but most are beat up very badly ... well abused after almost 20 years of service. If you find one you better grab it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#13]
CBSAF ... There are several other USMC OKC bayonets that are rarely discussed on forums; considered prototype submissions to 2002 USMC Bayonet Trials that led to the final OKC 3S production version bayonet but still part of the historical lineage of the OKC 3S. Most predominantly the TANTO version called the OKC 1FT, the KABAR version (this had blood grooves) called the OKC 6FT, and the SPEC 3 version called the OKC 3FT. All three blade profiles were made in both OKC proprietary finishes called Ultra Carbon (UC) or Diamond Steel (DS). The UC appeared to be a parkerized finish and the DS appeared to be a hard powder coat-paint finish. The crossguard of these bayonets was slimmer than an M9 crossguard and had UC or DS markings noticeably stamped in big initials on the front lower portion of the crossguard. Be advised, there are a very small number of these prototype test blades that were assembled with the production version OKC 3S grip/handle assembly (smooth handle; no crosshatch pattern) floating around. You will mostly see a 1FT hybrid with Army markings on the handle ... I think OKC was just using up the remainder of their prototype stock blades and releasing them for sale on the open market. If you find ever find a 3 FT or 6FT hybrid, it will be an ultra-rare anomaly.

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top