Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2018 4:53:00 PM EDT
So I see lots of people comment things about going with inexpensive or "cheap" armor.  Aside from the intellectual property issue that could arise from having a similar looking helmet, what issues are there to be aware of with making a purchase like this?  For instance, the BallisticHelmetCo is a $350 Level IIIA helmet made from a kevlar shell.  It looks similar to the Ops Core/Crye etc versions of the High Cut helmets out there.  The paint job looks bad in multicam, but the solid colors don't look horrible from what I can see.

There are numerous videos on YouTube of their helmets being shot, and while very large rounds (180gr 44 Mag) have significant back face deformation, they still stop the rounds.  The helmets also have the NIJ ratings for Level IIIA.  I don't know where these helmets are made, but if they stop the rounds as advertised, are certified and meet the NIJ standards needed, and are affordable, what is there to be concerned with?

What would you need to see to be able to trust a helmet of this nature, that doesn't cost $1000?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure those chinese "ballistic" helmets have been proven not to actually work at the rating they're claiming.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure those chinese "ballistic" helmets have been proven not to actually work at the rating they're claiming.
View Quote
This.  They were tested and didn’t pass backform deformation tests.  It will stop the bullet but it will crush your skull.

CPG, ATE, etc

They’re all the same Chinese Alibaba junk.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
So is there a reference for backface deformation that could be applied? I am in communication with one of the knockoff companies, and I might be able to get a shell to see how much there is.  What is considered "fatal" vs. what would just cause a concussion or other mild head trauma?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So is there a reference for backface deformation that could be applied? I am in communication with one of the knockoff companies, and I might be able to get a shell to see how much there is.  What is considered "fatal" vs. what would just cause a concussion or other mild head trauma?
View Quote
It's all detailed in the NIJ standards. This is pretty well known, public stuff, you can easily find it on the googles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
It was probably not a good sign that one of those companies was selling an arc rail and shroud kit for 10 dollars.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Contingency Procurement Group Level IIIA helmet
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Is this the same imported helmet being sold as Hard Head Veterans? It seems plausible based on price and style (extras). But want to be sure. Same?

https://www.hardheadveterans.com/
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is this the same imported helmet being sold as Hard Head Veterans? It seems plausible based on price and style (extras). But want to be sure. Same?

https://www.hardheadveterans.com/
View Quote
Yes, they’re all sourced from Alibaba.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
So, what are the thoughts then on Revision Military? They are inexpensive, and appear to be different than the alibaba/aliexpress helmets, which is what most of the other ones appear to be. I have searched YouTube for any real world testing of their helmets like I have found on a bunch of the Chinese helmets.  Are they held in a higher regard?  Further, what is the least expensive high cut helmet that is of good quality.

Ultimately, I'm wanting to find a ballistic helmet that is affordable on a cop salary, and will protect me.  If I can obtain samples for testing from various companies, I'll happily shoot them, and am working on doing so.  I cannot afford an Ops-Core/Team Wendy/FAST helmet, but do want the look and lighter weight.  Potential to add NVG's if I ever get issued them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't bet your life on Chinese junk. If you're on a budget get a used ACH, save some coin and buy a ops core, crye or other go fast operational operator helmet when you have the coinage.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Revision is legit.

The way they test is they pout a .5mm thick witness panel in the helmet. That is designed to simulate a skull, if it's ok it passes. Any damage and it fails. NIJ 106.01 standard for ballistic helmets.  This is not the same as NIJ 101.06 for torso armor, or NIJ 104.01 for impact helmets.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Revision is legit.

The way they test is they pout a .5mm thick witness panel in the helmet. That is designed to simulate a skull, if it's ok it passes. Any damage and it fails. NIJ 106.01 standard for ballistic helmets.  This is not the same as NIJ 101.06 for torso armor, or NIJ 104.01 for impact helmets.
View Quote
THIS.

If you must go cheap cost wise, get the Revision Viper A3.  The base model is about $350.  Then you can add all the cool-dude accessories if you need them.

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, what are the thoughts then on Revision Military? They are inexpensive, and appear to be different than the alibaba/aliexpress helmets, which is what most of the other ones appear to be. I have searched YouTube for any real world testing of their helmets like I have found on a bunch of the Chinese helmets.  Are they held in a higher regard?  Further, what is the least expensive high cut helmet that is of good quality.

Ultimately, I'm wanting to find a ballistic helmet that is affordable on a cop salary, and will protect me.  If I can obtain samples for testing from various companies, I'll happily shoot them, and am working on doing so.  I cannot afford an Ops-Core/Team Wendy/FAST helmet, but do want the look and lighter weight.  Potential to add NVG's if I ever get issued them.
View Quote
Revision is definitely G2G.  I own one after almost making the mistake of buying one of the Chinese ones. I think I bought it from TNVC.

Interesting story about the Revisions:

http://www.recoilweb.com/about-the-helmet-that-saved-an-orlando-cops-life-101921.html
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So, what are the thoughts then on Revision Military?
View Quote
Revision makes fantastic equipment. Very high quality.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
So, I've been doing further research into armor, and talking to some vendors.  HighCom Armor seems to be pretty highly recommended as well, and I've been emailing them some questions and they are VERY responsive.  I do have some additional questions, related to plates now, instead of just helmets.

I currently have no curve, old school steel plates that I got from an Arfcom group buy a long time ago.  I have them in my TAG Banshee, and when it's slick, it weighs around 21lbs, and is not very comfortable.  I want to do one of two things, and I'd like input on it.

Ideally, I'd like to slim down and get multi-curve plates.  Again, keeping in mind I'm trying to do this on a cop budget.  My other option is to get plates that are multicurve, and not worry about the weight.  This depends on comfort and how they ride though.  I've never worn a set of multicurve, or even single curve plates.  Would they fit so much more better/comfortably, that the weight wouldn't be as bad? Or would saving even 5lbs, and going with a MC setup be well worth my while?

Thanks to all that are participating in this discussion.  I know some of the information is redundant, but it's nice to have it reiterated by people.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]
It is well worth it to spend the money for multi curve plates. Saving 5 lbs either way though is huge when you are talking about weight on a PC. The 4SAS7 are a good choice. You should be able to get a pretty decent discount (try AR15.com as a code, can’t remember if that was mentioned here or another thread).
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Get III+ multicurved, stand alone, SAPI.

Hesco if you can afford it. Armorwear if you cant.

NIJ does not have a backface limit on helmets. Its penetration only.
Military has 9mm backface limits. Use a helmet company that has one helmet for military and LE and passes both, like Revision. Get the LE NIJ certified version to save money. NIJ testing is cheaper.

Revision frequently has 20% off sales. LE is always 20% off.

They will do an ACH highcut (Viper) with 3 holes instead of 1 hole for no extra charge. They will upgrade to MSS helmet liner for $20 upcharge. Their stand alone ARC rails fit better on their helmets and are cheaper than OpsCore, while fully licensed.

I got a highcut, 3 hole, MSS suspension, with ARC rails for $375 delivered. Added a Wilcox 3 hole shroud for $40 and I was out around $420 for a fully done set up. You can also use the Revision 1 hole shroud with their interlocking rails for a little more money and not have to special order or add anything like this deal.

https://www.rtstactical.com/revision-batlskin-viper-special-ops-ballistic-helmet.html/

Which is $450 for everything. It is a teeny bit heavier than stand alone.

If you go Kevlar instead of UHMWPE you get a 1 pound heavier helmet but will spend under $500 new. A fully kitted UHMWPE helmet will cost double, but be 1 pound lighter. Be it OpsCore, Revsion, TeamWendy, Crye, or whatever. If you dont need a high cut, a full cut used ACH is $100-150. Shroud will need to be 1 hole. You will need new pads and suspension and perhaps rails.

Revision ACH high or full cut (no mid cut) premium helmet covers ryn $50-60 but are top of the line. Reccomend if you get an ACH.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
RTS doesn't have my size in stock right now, and I'll have to contact them about their LEO pricing.  I'm going to put in a call to Revision to see what kind of pricing they can do also.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is well worth it to spend the money for multi curve plates. Saving 5 lbs either way though is huge when you are talking about weight on a PC. The 4SAS7 are a good choice. You should be able to get a pretty decent discount (try AR15.com as a code, can’t remember if that was mentioned here or another thread).
View Quote
That code will get you a 20% discount.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Just to update everyone, I received a shell from BallisticHelmetCo.  No pads, straps, or anything, just the brain bucket part.  I won't be able to get to the range this weekend, but I will be out there most likely next weekend.  I plan on shooting this to see just how bad it is with the following calibers, unless I can get some other ones:

.22LR
.38spl
9mm

I'm not even going to bother with rifle calibers, because they go straight through no matter what.  I may shoot a slug at it, but we'll see.  I still want to see if I can get a hold of a .44 magnum and a .357 sig if I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top