Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2018 12:53:21 PM EDT
I thinking about purchasing a new M1 SOCOM and I have some questions. First, will these guns function as normal using a suppressor attached? Second, it the muzzle break removable and if so what it the thread pitch for the muzzle devices? Third, what is the best magazine to use in this platform and what is the availability and cost of the mags?
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a SOCOM M1A in a Sage EBR stock. Love it because it’s all things bad assery with little logical reason other than same reasons guys love Brodozers.

I will only shoot it with suppressor if at a range. The Flash and Blast than of an unsurpassed 16” .308 with side ported muzzle device is just down right obnoxious!

You will need a ‘special’ mount to replace the current gas block/muzzle device.
I chose Gemtech to match my quicksand suppressor.
I quickly searched a link for you and no longer see it in their store. Your choice of can may well be limited to companies who offer a matching mount.

Word of advice... be careful removing your trijicon front site from your old gas block to your new one.

They are fragile and mine broke when removing to place on the new mount.
I told the truth when I called trijicon and they laughed when I asked if they would provide a replacement.
I crossed trijicon off my new toy list after they actually had laughed. Of course they will never know and it won’t cause a .000001 dent in their sales or popularity.

Here is a supplier I did see during a quick search.
https://www.carolinasfirstdefense.com/M1A-SOCOM-Adapter-to-58-24_c_2144.html

Gas in the face is noticeable and at a minimum of safety glasses are a must. There are a bunch of options for that if you google but I plan to use a Smith Enterprise adjustable piston for my next add on to it.

Mags run from Chinese crap that runs surprisingly well to USGI to some quality domestic aftermarket. If looking used don’t let fine surface rust scare you. Cleans right up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information! That's some good stuff! I will look for a mount to use with my Silencerco suppressor and see what I can come up with. I was hoping the muzzle brake simply unscrewed and I could thread s new one on!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You will need a new gas lock with threads to replace the 1-piece SA gas lock with brake.

Delta P Brevis makes one, as does Smith Enterprise Inc. I went with SEI, as it was a lot cheaper than the Delta P version. One thing to note, your suppressor mount will need a collar behind where the suppressor mounts, to keep it off the face of the front sight base.

There are manufacturers who make adjustable gas cylinders. Also, you will probably need to replace the front sight, as it will be standard height and the Socom sights are shorter, because the factory 1-piece gas lock is taller.

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will need a new gas lock with threads to replace the 1-piece SA gas lock with brake.

Delta P Brevis makes one, as does Smith Enterprise Inc. I went with SEI, as it was a lot cheaper than the Delta P version. One thing to note, your suppressor mount will need a collar behind where the suppressor mounts, to keep it off the face of the front sight base.

There are manufacturers who make adjustable gas cylinders. Also, you will probably need to replace the front sight, as it will be standard height and the Socom sights are shorter, because the factory 1-piece gas lock is taller.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259653/20171222_204521-398416.jpg
View Quote
Dammit...I am in unadulterated lust over that one of yours, Gopher. I guess I need to bite the bullet and get one like it. By the way, what sling is that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dammit...I am in unadulterated lust over that one of yours, Gopher. I guess I need to bite the bullet and get one like it. By the way, what sling is that?
View Quote
Thanks.

sling is made by The Outdoor Connection. "Super Sling"

Link
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.44mag.com/product/m1a_m14_magazine_20_usgi/check-mate_industries

cmi makes brand new M1A mags, inexpensive and quality
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
new gas cylinder lock
new muzzle device, or direct threaded can
adjustable gas plug
breech shield, not necessary to function, but will do a good bit to keep gas out of your face.

i also added a sadlak op rod spring guide and spring....and of course a can.

usgi mags from 44mag, never had one issue with them.

https://youtu.be/p3twmDuSR2w

https://youtu.be/RfFUjoW6Z0U

i was still playing with hand loads and tuning the rifle in these vids, since then it now runs suppressed and unsuppressed just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top