Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2021 1:09:20 AM EDT
I know these aren’t made on proud Teutonic HK machinery like the zeniths were, but are they completely reverse engineered and made on a production line that was built from the ground up, or is there some HK tooling involved?
Are all parts made in the USA, or are there German or shady bits of Indian MIM involved?
Do most replacement parts and accessories made for the HK MP5/SP5 work with the PTRs without issue?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure all the critical parts are made in-house; US parts on US tooling. Bolt, locking piece receivers, receivers, barrel, trigger pack, etc.

If you can accept it not being made on HK tooling, it's a pretty well made clone that most folks have had good results with. Mine has been flawless since a few FTEs on the first magazine I put through it. Zero malfunctions of any kind since and I'm at around 3k rounds on the gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people have reported fitment issues trying to replace parts with German parts (bolt carriers, bolts, etc).
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#3]
However they are made, mine has been flawless from the first round fired. Suppressed, unsuppressed, 115gr-158gr. No issues.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve tried a bunch of different HK parts and accessories for my PTR and all worked with little fuss.I do say little because these are welded receiver guns and there is some variation gun to gun so some things like end caps or handguards may need massaging to make work.The same can be said for HK’s as well.All the nuts and bolts parts like the triggers and bolt/carrier work with the understanding that the carrier and trigger have been modified to make it difficult to turn it into a machine gun.I’ve got a few different brands of clones as well as HK’s and I can swap most parts between them no problems.The PTR is a quality gun.Different companies do different things to prevent you from dropping a full auto pack into the gun so you may or may not be able to just swap bolt carriers but the bolt itself and locking pieces can be swapped around.PTR makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
At least one of the issues is that when running a K suppressed, you need to change the locking piece...and at least some of the PTRs won't accept a German (or RCM) locking piece.

Finally, there are some first hand accounts that HK spec 80 degree kicking piece doesn’t fit the PTR and that PTR said you need to buy theirs directly. Which is also a load of shit. Further research shows that PTR has since “made an update” and the HK spec LP should now fit their bolts. Again, if you have and older PTR who knows what brand 80 degree LP you are supposed to order to get it to function.

Here is a warning from RCM about PTR parts:

**PTR BOLT HEAD NOTE** We are getting lots of emails from customers regarding the issue with our locking piece not fitting in a PTR Bolt Head. Its because the PTR Bolt Head is up to .007 undersized in the Locking Piece Pocket . RCM has no control of the quality standards of PTR. We suggest you grind or mill it to the dimensions of your bolt head.

From what I have read, new guns don't share this problem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
However they are made, mine has been flawless from the first round fired. Suppressed, unsuppressed, 115gr-158gr. No issues.
View Quote

This^

Both of mine are good to go

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]
My 9CT is gtg with everything I've fed it.  Even with ETS mags.  Suppressed, unsuppressed.  I'm waiting for a 9KT to come in, probably should order the RCM locking piece, and that is the one thing I'm worried about fitting, as reported above.

However, for all intents and purposes, the PTR's fit the bill.  At normal gun climate prices, I would get the HK's, especially at $2500 or so...however, I'm not willing to throw $3000-4000 at the HK's when the PTR's can be had for $1700-2000.  And you have to figure in any accessories you want, plus a brace or a tax stamp and stock, etc.  Definitely not a poor man's game, but for me, the PTR's are a good compromise.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I would love a real HK SP5 but honestly I can't save enough up for one without blowing it on something else, I was able to get a PTRCT from Atlantic for 1650 a while back
but I'm not good with money, maybe when I pay my car off I'll get a loan and buy a real one before sleepy joe bans import.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies, I know very little about the MP5 and clones, but want one bad.

There’s about enough in my “gun fund” at the moment to pick up a PTR from the local sportsman’s warehouse. There are also a couple of Scheels within 2hrs from me, so a ~3K SP5 is maybe possible if I double my fund.

A genuine SP5 would be great, but I worry I may baby it too much and not want to put too many rounds through it or throw in a binary. I’m also trying very hard not to overspend too much in this panicy climate. An above MSRP SP5 is a gamble between a calming market, and even more craziness.
PTR’s 9mm offerings seem like a good compromise, but they are expensive enough to give me pause. There are enough people complaining about problems online that it’s hard to ignore, but PTR seems to be churning these out, so there’s got to be plenty of happy customers for every unhappy one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Things to consider if you get an SP5:

It has a sear block. So, if you ever get a hold of a registered sear pack, it won't work on the SP5 without machining work.

If you decide to SBR it, you still have to comply with 922r and must replace several parts with US parts to be completely legal.

That being said, if the SP5 would have been available when I got my 9CT, I would have bought the SP5. Not at today's prices though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
9c owner. Notice not 9ct. They make one without the threaded barrel. My GSL Phoenix locks up nice and tight with no POI shift.  I keep fighting the urge to get a 9kt, but since I cannot find any in stock, it’s pretty easy to not buy one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At least one of the issues is that when running a K suppressed, you need to change the locking piece...and at least some of the PTRs won't accept a German (or RCM) locking piece.

Finally, there are some first hand accounts that HK spec 80 degree kicking piece doesn’t fit the PTR and that PTR said you need to buy theirs directly. Which is also a load of shit. Further research shows that PTR has since “made an update” and the HK spec LP should now fit their bolts. Again, if you have and older PTR who knows what brand 80 degree LP you are supposed to order to get it to function.

Here is a warning from RCM about PTR parts:

**PTR BOLT HEAD NOTE** We are getting lots of emails from customers regarding the issue with our locking piece not fitting in a PTR Bolt Head. Its because the PTR Bolt Head is up to .007 undersized in the Locking Piece Pocket . RCM has no control of the quality standards of PTR. We suggest you grind or mill it to the dimensions of your bolt head.

From what I have read, new guns don't share this problem.
View Quote

I had this problem, PTR paid for me to send my bolt in and made it work for free.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
AFAIK, the bolt head stuff is only the k's, not the regular 9c or 9ct. While the k looks neater, I prefer the 9ct since you don't need to change the bolt for silencer anyway.

I forget the exact pedigree, but JLD/ PTR bought the machinery fromI think FMP, the Portugal g3 maker. Maybe it was the greek one though, Hellenic Arms? I'm not positive, but in either case it was G3 setup not MP5 anyway, and they set it up themselves, so folks still look down on them compared to the fine maintenance skills that Pakistan is known for, I guess... :)

They reverse engineered the 9ct, and I think they get flats from someone that has made them for a while.

Mine has been fine, took a replacement forend, magazines. The brace did need fitting, but it's the brace, not the gun I think, since the brace fits just as bad on my c93, while other stuff works fine on the c93 and 9ct.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine, a CT, runs like a sewing machine with HK and KCI mags and has been for two years ($1699 delivered). I replaced the forearm, but I still have the one that came with it, outfitted with a green laser and I added the mandatory brace. It is boringly accurate and indescribably fun.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mine, a CT, runs like a sewing machine with HK and KCI mags and has been for two years ($1699 delivered). I replaced the forearm, but I still have the one that came with it, outfitted with a green laser and I added the mandatory brace. It is boringly accurate and indescribably fun.

https://i.imgur.com/bYcDV9b.jpg?1
View Quote
Beautiful
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
My 9CT also works very well. I have an older PTR in 308 that I’ve put hk/aftermarket parts in.

I’d have to assume if the company’s older products are compatible with other suppliers then their newer products would too. Might be taking deductive reasoning too far.

Bottom line- the PTR clone is still king of any other subgun. Second only to the original- and not by much.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my 9CT.
Runs great suppressed.  
HK factory parts and furniture all fit perfect for me.
It is incredibly accurate. Keeps 147grain HST in the X ring of a B8 at 50 yards.
It was easy to put a new forward sling eyelet in and I don't mind the Picatinny rail.

I strongly recommend putting an HK ejector in though. The one PTR puts in in too thin at the bend (mine broke - there's a thread with pics).
When I was mashing my can on, I dinged the cocking tube cap and the finish flaked off, so I put a surplus steel one on.
I have an HK extractor spring to put in, but I'm trying to see when the PTR one will fail first (I'm over 2k rds with no extraction issues).
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love my 9CT.
Runs great suppressed.  
It is incredibly accurate. Keeps 147grain HST in the X ring of a B8 at 50 yards.
It was easy to put a new forward sling eyelet in and I don't mind the Picatinny rail.

I strongly recommend putting an HK ejector in though. The one PTR puts in in too thin at the bend (mine broke - there's a thread with pics).
When I was mashing my can on, I dinged the cocking tube cap and the finish flaked off, so I put a surplus steel one on.
I have an HK extractor spring to put in, but I'm trying to see when the PTR one will fail first (I'm over 2k rds with no extraction issues).
View Quote

I’m at 3500 rounds with no failures.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love my 9CT.
Runs great suppressed.  

View Quote

@SSGJAYP_B4

When you say "easy" for the forward sling eyelet, how easy do you mean? It's the one thing I don't like about my PTR. I currently have the small handguard pin with the sling loop attached.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I knocked out the pin that's in the slot. I got a new HK sling eyelet (NOT a used one - this won't work). I tapped it in a little bit with a plastic hammer just enough to see where the flat was rubbing. I took a file and flattened out that spot, then put cold blue on raw steel. I used a plastic hammer to push pin in place, while supporting the sight tower. Looks perfect and there is no way it's coming out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:15:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I knocked out the pin that's in the slot. I got a new HK sling eyelet (NOT a used one - this won't work). I tapped it in a little bit with a plastic hammer just enough to see where the flat was rubbing. I took a file and flattened out that spot, then put cold blue on raw steel. I used a plastic hammer to push pin in place, while supporting the sight tower. Looks perfect and there is no way it's coming out.
View Quote

That pin is supposed to be peened over like a rivet.  If it were, you couldn't knock it out.  The new pin is also supposed to be hammered over.  Some manufacturers weld them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We ship quite a few PTR firearms each week and get very few complaints. On the PTR 9CT series as far as we know all parts are made in the USA with the bulk of them being made in house by PTR . They have a large and extensive facility with state of the art equipment .

https://atlantic-firearms-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/media/sylius_shop_product_original/product/ptr91-9ct-shooter-2-of-3-jpg.jpg
View Quote
You just shipped me one, looking forward to it!

Guess I need to find a pin for the forward sling mount. Odd PTR didn't include that.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We ship quite a few PTR firearms each week and get very few complaints. On the PTR 9CT series as far as we know all parts are made in the USA with the bulk of them being made in house by PTR . They have a large and extensive facility with state of the art equipment .

https://atlantic-firearms-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/media/sylius_shop_product_original/product/ptr91-9ct-shooter-2-of-3-jpg.jpg
View Quote

Would you say there were more issues (besides the finish) with the full size POF pistols, or the PTR offerings?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Given the volume of PTRs we have shipped VS the POF , I would say the POF probably had more mechanical issues other than cosmetics .This being said customer reported failures have been low for both PTR & POF. On a different note we have not had any issues reported yet with the Century AP5 pistols , Those are the MKE pistols that have replaced the Zenith Firearms ZP5.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/century-arms-ap5-pistol-hg6034-n-787450668539-23.jpg
View Quote

I may be in the market here in the next month or so. What makes the century worth 800~bucks more than the PTR?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I may be in the market here in the next month or so. What makes the century worth 800~bucks more than the PTR?
View Quote
I was wondering the same. All my research said they were pretty much the same.

I went with the PTR from Atlantic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was wondering the same. All my research said they were pretty much the same.

I went with the PTR from Atlantic.
View Quote

Aesthetically correct.
I.E. no mlock handguard and no optic rail.
So for $800 you get a less user friendly gun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Personally the PTR offers more than the Century AP5 pistol 787450668539 but some shooters are looking for a Import Roller lock firearm and the AP5 may scratch that itch.

View Quote

So the PTR is my choice. Sold to the guy who is saving his pennies and can hopefully order next month!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Given the volume of PTRs we have shipped VS the POF , I would say the POF probably had more mechanical issues other than cosmetics .This being said customer reported failures have been low for both PTR & POF. On a different note we have not had any issues reported yet with the Century AP5 pistols , Those are the MKE pistols that have replaced the Zenith Firearms ZP5.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/century-arms-ap5-pistol-hg6034-n-787450668539-23.jpg
View Quote

How much higher are the numbers of PTRs being sold compared to other clones and the HKs?
The number of people who report problems with PTR seems higher than other manufacturers, but if there’s 10 times more of them out there it makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Good thread. I have wanted an MP5 or clone for years.
SP5 - awesome but too pricey, and 922r issues.
AP-5 would get it but I just can’t buy a Turkish product after knowing the shit they have pulled in Iraq and Syria.
PTR - I have a 91 GI and love it. Seems like the best choice for me. Plan to run it with my Omega 9K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top