Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2018 3:30:17 PM EDT
I know that barrel lengths can change as long as it's not permanent, is it the same for caliber?

Looking at changing from 5.56 to a pistol caliber.  I've converted a AR to 9mm many years ago but would like to try it again but with a SBR.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You can change either any time, for any SBR, and you don't even have to notify anyone.

For ARs, both are considered temporary changes and ATF really doesn't want any notification.

If you're going to sell it later without the setup it's papered as, then it would be wise to send notification of the reconfiguration and forward a copy of the acknowledgment with your transfer form, to show why the data is different.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Your Form 1 is merely a request/approval to initially manufacture an SBR in the configuration outlined on the Form 1; once that has been accomplished (technically speaking) you're free to reconfigure as you'd like.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, very nice!  Thank you gents for the info.

wyoshooter12
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your Form 1 is merely a request/approval to initially manufacture an SBR in the configuration outlined on the Form 1; once that has been accomplished (technically speaking) you're free to reconfigure as you'd like.
View Quote
No shit?

I’m back and forth on which caliber to go with my next SBR.  I want to do it as .300blk but I’m not completely sold on that caliber like I am 5.56.  I’ve hesitated on how to proceed since I’m unsure if I’ll abandon .300blk and go back to 5.56

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You can amend your Form 1 at any time before building, and you can submit a description revision to add additional configurations after approval but there is no requirement to do so.

Here is a current thread you might find interesting:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Was-told-something-by-BATF-that-is-counter-to-what-most-here-believe-is-fact-/17-491131/

If you have the time and money, NOW is always a good time to cast a Form 1 upon the waters.  If you don't build you have 3 years from the date the tax is paid to request a refund and cancellation of an approved stamp.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:36:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No shit?

I’m back and forth on which caliber to go with my next SBR.  I want to do it as .300blk but I’m not completely sold on that caliber like I am 5.56.  I’ve hesitated on how to proceed since I’m unsure if I’ll abandon .300blk and go back to 5.56

Your thoughts?
View Quote
Once you go black....
I shoot mine way more than .223
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top