Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2021 11:34:29 PM EDT
If you wanted to make NFA items with your 07/02, for sale (suppressor) would you be subject to the $2250 per year ITAR registration fee?

If you are making NFA items for your own research with your 07/02, do those same fees still apply?

Appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:23:40 AM EDT
Not an sot but looked into becoming one a few years ago.... The rules clearly say itar registration is not required if the sot is performing "R&D work" and is not selling the items being manufactured.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:22:20 AM EDT
Thanks man.  I was kinda hoping that I could turn a bit of profit on a few suppressors, but I'd need to sell more than a few to even cover the itar tax. :(

Cheers!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:50:44 PM EDT
Ask in NFA General subforum. Pretty sure there was a recent rule change and you won't have to pay it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:52:21 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
Not an sot but looked into becoming one a few years ago.... The rules clearly say itar registration is not required if the sot is performing "R&D work" and is not selling the items being manufactured.
View Quote

ITAR no longer needed on small arms
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:54:52 PM EDT
Do suppressors count as small arms though?  I suspect they don't, and that was where I was hoping to go with the business.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:56:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OnyxSkyDV:
Do suppressors count as small arms though?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OnyxSkyDV:
Do suppressors count as small arms though?
They're considered Title II (NFA, non-sporting) firearms by BATFE.

Looks like they're still covered by ITAR and registration would be required for silencer manufacturers/exporters.

Suppressors remain on the United States Munitions List (USML) and continue to be classified for export purposes as Category I (e) defense articles. As such, suppressors remain subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
https://www.easyexport.net/firearm-export-sales/5-things-to-know-about-exporting-firearm-sound-suppressors-to-civilian-end-users/

For example, the following items will still be ITAR-controlled after the adoption of the amendments: Silencers, mufflers and sound suppressors;
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/itar-firearms-amendments-six-important-42912/
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:25:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By User55645:
Ask in NFA General subforum. Pretty sure there was a recent rule change and you won't have to pay it.
View Quote

Absolutely true.  “[email protected] means something different fir ATF than DOD / DOS
Top Top