Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2020 9:46:09 PM EDT
A few questions,

I have a Mossberg Shockwave that I have done a Form 1 on and made a SBS. I have always wanted a super shorty. Since this SBS shoots a foot high at 7 yards I thought, why not turn it into a super shorty if it’s possible.

1) Can I legally do it?
2) Who can do the work of shortening the barrel and moving the barrel band etc?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#1]
Josh at cottonbranch customs would be a good place to start. I’ve seen several pics of some 10” 870’s that’s he’s done and maybe a 7”??
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you legally can.

Do a bit of research on the parts and work needed as it’s substantial. Unless Mossberg sells the parts for their AOW gun I’m not sure where to look as I think Serbu and Safety Harbor both removed them from their websites.

Barrel lug mag tube cap mount has to be moved down the barrel
The action arms have to be shortened
New forend needed

Good luck
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
wow, guess Mossberg killed Serbu and Safety Harbor's market for the shorty pumps...
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree, I was looking at Safety Harbors site the other day.  No mention anywhere of their super shorty.  They converted my Mossy 500 a while back.  So much fun
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:18:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#5]
Originally Posted By bkssniper:
A few questions,

I have a Mossberg Shockwave that I have done a Form 1 on and made a SBS. I have always wanted a super shorty. Since this SBS shoots a foot high at 7 yards I thought, why not turn it into a super shorty if it’s possible.

1) Can I legally do it?
2) Who can do the work of shortening the barrel and moving the barrel band etc?
View Quote
I still recall my range instructors yelling "bead the belly!" right before the command to fire. Always pattern your loads and know that the belly button is a good target for most slugs/buck shot inside of 25 yards due to what you are seeing. A ramped front sight will give you a more normal sight picture if that is worth while to you. Or you can just yell bead the belly to yourself every time you see a shotgun until you never forget!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been thinking about doing this myself, and actually decided against it. the cost of the parts ends up being about more than just getting one of the mossbergs. The short MCS hand grip is like $200, then you need to get a pistol grip, and have someone cut down the mag tube.

It's going to be cheaper just to turn my old side by side into a cut down cannon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top