Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2022 3:20:41 PM EDT
I have several high quality single, bolt, and semi actions in multiple calibers but non of them are threaded, and with the acquisition of a new suppressor, I need one.  Alternative is to get one of the existing guns threaded, but I’ve never had that done before and I’m not too confident of quality of the end product.

I’m thinking of the Bergara Hunter Ridge in 308, what do you think? If you have another suggestion tell me why? I like to keep the cost below $1000+-.  Thx.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Any rifle builder worth the name will be able to thread a bolt action barrel for you, and 30 seconds on Google will tell you if they can do it worth a shit.

Most places charge $75-$100 to do it. It depends on where you are located.

Save $900 and have an existing rifle threaded.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  Have an existing barrel threaded.  The only company I've heard mentioned here is ADCO.  I'm sure there are many more gunsmiths who can do it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Assuming deer and pig and similar sized critters.... within a reasonable distance...

Gonna sound like a broken record, but Howa Mini in 6mm Arc or 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Any of the bergara b-14 series rifles are a great value. They shoot wonderfully out of the box. I would suggest looking at the wilderness ridge SP, it has an 18 inch barrel which makes a great combo with a suppressor so you rifle isn’t 2 miles long when you add the can.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You could get all your favorites threaded for much less than a new rifle, then you can suppress them all. Then that gun+optic money can be rolled back into another can if you have a wide variety of calibers.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
In my area the few gunsmiths I've spoken to so far want ~$200 to thread a muzzle.  I looked into ADCO and iirc they had a substantial upcharge for barrels with a tapered profile (every hunting rifle ever).  Currently it looks like the best option is lri who charges $100.  They also claim not a single baffle strike on a customer's rifle ever.  But if I send them my rifle I'm bound to spend the extra $175 on fancy fluting...

LRI

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't get the barrel threaded one a hunting rifle with a lightweight barrel. Assuming you have a 30 cal can and want 5/8x24 threads, it's best to have a barrel that is at least 0.75" thick at the threads. I've heard of people getting them cut to 1/2x28 and running an adapter, but that makes a very the barrel very thin at the threads.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any of the bergara b-14 series rifles are a great value. They shoot wonderfully out of the box. I would suggest looking at the wilderness ridge SP, it has an 18 inch barrel which makes a great combo with a suppressor so you rifle isn’t 2 miles long when you add the can.
View Quote

This is going to be my next gun purchase, in .308.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top