Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2023 10:11:05 AM EDT
Looking for a quality padlock for a USGI M16 rack. Most of the stuff at the hardware store is garbage. Lockpickinglawyer used to (and may still) recommend the ABUS Diskus 20/70. Are there any arfcom favorites? Looking around the $50 price point.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are worried about someone picking the lock on your rack, you should consider a safe.  A Dremel or cut off wheel on a battery tool make short work of most locks or the hardware they are attached to.

I like this lock for my shed:

Sesamee K636

The shackle is stepped, so the shim method would be difficult.

I have a disc lock in my junk bin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not overly worried (multi-tiered security), but would like something better than a shit tier masterlock that can be shimmed\raked\combed. Plus, it would be nice to have a decent padlock on hand incase it is needed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The military standard for those weapons racks, as well as vehicles, shipping containers, and just about everything else, is the 200-series padlock like this one:

American Lock A5200GLKA Government Padlock

I have no idea how resistant they are to picking, but they’re certainly harder to cut than normal commercial padlocks, having had to open plenty of them over the years with a “master key” after someone lost a key.

The Amazon listing seems little higher than other options (as usual) because ships free. I’ve seen government ones for sale in surplus stores (they usually lack the American Lock brand name), and the American Lock commercial ones can be found in hardware stores.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a legit hasp that will be reinforced and shrouded, than ABUS locks are about the toughest ones around.

Having forced more than a few doors secured with padlocks in my 25 years in LE, I will add that more often than not, its easier to cut the hasp the lock is secured through, than it is the shim/pick/pry or cut the lock.

Even on heavy roll down gates securing businesses at night, the lock is 99% of the time, secured to a mild steel pin next to a slim piece of mild steel welded to the frame. Bolt cutters will cut a 3/16" plate of mild steel easier than the shackle of a lock. Two cuts and the pin with the lock attached will slide right out.

And the hockey puck locks are even faster to defeat with a large pipe wrench if they arent recessed in a shroud. Just wind them off and it snaps the hasp behind it. With a shroud, a cordless grinder with a couple cut off discs will take about 90 seconds to cut through the lock.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a legit hasp that will be reinforced and shrouded, than ABUS locks are about the toughest ones around.

Having forced more than a few doors secured with padlocks in my 25 years in LE, I will add that more often than not, its easier to cut the hasp the lock is secured through, than it is the shim/pick/pry or cut the lock.
View Quote

The M16 rifle storage rack is pretty tough with three overlapping steel hasps. Here are some photos I swiped off an eBay listing. The last one is out of focus but shows the three parts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Obviously the rack itself needs to be properly secured so someone doesn't just carry it off, so that could be the weakest link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top