Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/19/2018 4:40:50 AM EDT
What is arfcoms multi tool of choice? I’ve been eyeballing the leatherman surge or wave, but I’m curious as to how durable they are, and what the warranty/customer service is like.

I also seem to remember that SOG had something too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The Victorinox Swiss Tool X.

Fixed all issues with the Leatherman, more refined.

Whether that's worth the additional cost is up to the buyer.  Woot had a sale an I got one for about $70.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I carried the basic Gerber for many years until it finally broke.
I replaced it with the Letherman OHT. Does everything I need, without having to flip the handles around like the normal Leatherman.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Swiss.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#6]
SOG
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Snagged a Leatherman MUT from the EE a couple years back that I EDC for $70 BNIB. Also picked up a Wave from the Walmart clearance thread ($17) to test out but I still am keeping the MUT as EDC
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Would you be interested in parting with the wave?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I think there are two questions you want to answer before tool selection (I'm ignoring budget).  First, do you want a pouch-carried multitool or pocket carried?  Second, what (other than the pliers) do you want from your multitool?

The first is self-explanatory, but also affects the size and bulk of the multitool.  I like the Leatherman MUT, but actually EDC my Victorinox Spirit far more often.  Some people don't mind carry a large, belt-mounted multitool, others like the discretion of a smaller, pocket-carried multitool.  Tool selection makes a difference, as the number of choices really affects the bulk.

The second is typically based on experience or knowing what you prefer to have on you tool-wise.  I like having a decent file, saw blade, scissors, awl, and a heavy-duty flat-tip screwdriver.  There are some multitools that make it easier to swap out the tools...a good option IMHO.  Nothing sucks more than having two or three never-used tools taking up space, and adding bulk and weight.

You really can't go wrong with the "big four": Leatherman, SOG, Victorinox, or Gerber.  They have a good selection, good customer service, and a wide array of tool choices.  I would say the Leatherman Wave is likely the most common.  I have a couple older versions in various bags.  Size and weight can be a concern.  Two very good pocket-options are Leatherman's Sidekick and Wingman.  They're "budget" oriented, but solid performers with a pocket clip and svelte enough to ride in your pocket comfortably.

My choice for the past few years has been the Victorinox Spirit (currently the X-Model), which I carry in a Blue Force Gear 10-Speed pistol mag pouch.  It's a very clean look, tight to my body, and secure.  My only complaint with the Spirit is their choice of scissors.  They work for really small stuff, but I wish they just went with their standard SAK scissors, which I think are the gold-standard for pocket-tool scissors (although SOG's scissors are easily the second best and about the best choice for actually being on a multitool).

My alternate or secondary tool is easily the Leatherman Crunch.  I love the adjustable, locking plier head, and when needing three hands, it works extremely well, especially in tight spaces.

For a larger multitool, I still like the original Victorinox Swiss Tool, but I think the Leatherman Surge is the most versatile.  If you're willing to experiment a little, those "T-shank" attachments open the door to a lot of options...file, and various medium-cutting saws, etc.

The only good news is that there are tons of quality choices...you just need to narrow down your specific tool requirements and preferred carry (size) method.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would you be interested in parting with the wave?
View Quote
Sorry , gave it to my Brother inlaw who was looking for one. They are still out there, check the thread for your area Also bouldercitynv on eBay sells I think confiscated airport knives and multi tools pretty cheaply.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
For general use stuff, get the Wave.

The benefit of screw drivers on it is freakin' handy.

But in reality, they're kinda terrible for everything but better than nothing. That's why mine is always on my belt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve had great luck with leather man products.

I prefer the larger models such as core or super tools.
Any issues that I have had were resolved with replacement parts or entire tool, no charge.

That being said, I carry a pocket knife for actual cutting.  The quality of the steel on the actual blade is lacking.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Leatherman Wave and put it on my belt anytime I'm doing anything around the house.   I can't tell you the number of steps it has saved me over the years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been carrying a Leatherman Surge for the last 5 or 6 years.  It is a little heavy but it is the most universally useful of the models available.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I've carried a Leatherman Charge Ti or a Wave for over 3 decades.

I've also used or carried multitools from SOG, Gerber, and Swiss Army.  None of them lasted long and I always ended up back with a Leatherman on my hip.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Gerber MP600. I've had the same one for over twenty years. One handed opening is a must because I climbed steel for many years. Very useful. Used it every day, abused it in all sorts of weather, dropped it, loaned it out, beat and banged on it. Broke the file, a flathead screw driver, auger, knicked the cutters, still use it. No flex in the jaws at all even now. I never got around to sending it back for the broken bits, don't use em anyway. Even the sheath has lasted though it has some threads hanging lol. Absolutely would buy again. All the bits I broke were from using them for something other than what they are there for lol. IE. the file is not a cats paw haha. Forgot to add the attachments also lock open and the plastic slide lock has not broken and still works like new.

Sog pocket multi. Jaws broke within a year. Also the handles are incredibly painful to use with great force. They will damn near cut into you. And it flexes if you bear down on it. Only thing I like about it is the jaws have some angle to them so you can grasp something on a flush surface and still grip it. Otherwise, pass. Also the rivets on the leather sheath turned green and rusted the first week. Can't climb with it because no one-handed opening.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one. Absolutely love it.
View Quote
Times three
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top