Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/4/2018 9:55:46 AM EDT
Who makes some of these knives that are useable and not novelty pieces?  Anyone have actual experience with some that could help out on which ones are good to go?I

I've seen a few such as:

Randall model 18-my concern with this one is it's not a one piece design and I'm not sure if it would hold up well to batonning.  I realize their quality is top notch though.

Chris Reeve Shadow-this is the one I really like but unfortunately aren't made anymore.

Kizlyar makes a cool knife and I've seen some YouTube videos abusing it but it's also a two piece knife.

Schrade makes a one piece knife similar to the Chris Reeve.  The really low price makes me worry it wouldn't handle much abuse.

Anyone have experience with these or know of others I left out?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure there's good ones out there, but I don't really see the appeal myself.

Better to Ranger Band a small survival kit to the sheath IMO.

This ones got a survival kit tin, a mylar space blanket, and a sharpener on the sheath, which is a whole lot more useful then some fishing lures and 3 matches in the handle.

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Attachment Attached File

I have some

Sorry I am just showing off a little .
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54321/20181016_114254_jpg-760463.JPG

I have some

View Quote
Want to part with any?  Lol
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The schrade schf2 is made from 1070 steel so should be pretty tough. I’d say it’s the best buy of the bunch but it needs a sheath upgrade.

There is also the Boker aparro which has a good reputation. But again it’s sheath is lacking. It was designed by Martin knives who also made custom versions but I’m not sure if the offer them any more.

The Aitor Jungle King 1 and 2 have been around a long time and have a pretty neat sheath set up. They are a little pricey at around $240 for the larger jk1. Made in Spain.

Then there is the Marfione Intereceptor which is similar to a Jack Crain knife made famous in the film “Commando.”
Anthony Marfione is the head of Microtech knives.
The interceptor is very nice looking but the last one I saw available at monkey edge had a price tag of $3100. So even if one were to pony up that much money you’d be tempted to never use it.

You could also track down a Buck Buckmaster. They are pretty easy to find on eBay but they are becoming collectible and somewhat pricey.
They are very heavy and the handle is quite abrasive but the are a neat knife.

I tend to agree with the above poster who said you are better off with a full tang knife and an attached kit but the hollow handle knives have a certain charm that makes them fun to own and mess with.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Here:

http://www.martinknives.com/HollowHandleSurvival.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here:

http://www.martinknives.com/HollowHandleSurvival.html
View Quote
Best value is the Boker/Martin Knives collaboration:
PBoker Plus Apparo

This is the same connection method Martin Knives uses and it's stout and solid for a hollow handle knife.  It's simply the best value on the market today without going full on custom/semi-custom...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have some

View Quote
Uh....no.  That's showing off a lot.  

Always wanted one- could never justify the expense.  Nice collection!
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Now I'm  showing off alot !
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You certainly are!  No pics, but my favorite one was made in South Africa.  Four total by CR.

AND I bought both lengths of the spear point Schrade copies.  The sheaths aren't great, but they do have a pouch that I carry a multi-tool in.  The Schrades hold a decent edge, and the shorter one rides in the truck console.

Paladin
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have some

View Quote
I hate you.  I still kick myself for not buying one of the CR hollow handles back in the day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with the Schrade SCHF1.  I like the hollow handle style but after some research decided I wanted a solid piece construction and since the Chris Reeve is both hard to come by and pricey I went this route.  For being a budget knife I haven't heard one negative review outside a few minor things.   All YouTube reviews I've watched have been positive...I'll update my thoughts once I get the knife.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top