Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2020 10:26:58 PM EDT
GT does a pretty good review on it.  It is pretty intriguing and all.  I almost got into the 300 BO game but ammo prices turned me off.  Is the Noveske rifle the same thing as the Honey Badger?

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the Kevin hate...

I have a Sugar Weasel that I absolutely love, I have it set up to be a “Sugar Weasel SD”, super light (a little over 6lbs as it sits with a loaded mag) and no recoil. I dabbled in 300blk about 5 years ago and gave up based on ammo price. I WAS paying around $0.50/round for subs before the panic and am eagerly waiting for the steel cased subs that will be coming this year.

While I wanted a Honey Badger, I couldn’t justify the extra cost and the proprietary parts turned me off a bit. The Noveske uses the same stock but I think the rest is different.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By seamasterpro:
In before the Kevin hate...

I have a Sugar Weasel that I absolutely love, I have it set up to be a “Sugar Weasel SD”, super light (a little over 6lbs as it sits with a loaded mag) and no recoil. I dabbled in 300blk about 5 years ago and gave up based on ammo price. I WAS paying around $0.50/round for subs before the panic and am eagerly waiting for the steel cased subs that will be coming this year.

While I wanted a Honey Badger, I couldn’t justify the extra cost and the proprietary parts turned me off a bit. The Noveske uses the same stock but I think the rest is different.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91189/97ED6803-3AF7-4781-AB66-F4842239F7D3_jpe-1403274.JPG
View Quote

Very nice!!  Yeah I am not looking for this to turn into Kevin hate thread just wondering who all in the NFA/Pistol world have one and their impressions.  If 300 BO ammo does come down to reasonable levels I might take a a second look.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I would love the honey badger but couldn’t justify the costs. Built something way cheaper

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]
That is one sexy weapon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
i am a big fan of the honey badger.  makes a great HD gun with supers and range toy with subs IMO. you could buy the S&B and Magtech subs for 50 cents shipped if you bought a case up until recently so while the prices arent great they could be worse. hopefully they will come down in the future (and after the current situation).

i watched the GT video and agree with most of it although i dont think the stock on the honey badger feels like it has any more play than the standard AR stock on a standard buffer tube. i dont notice any play when shooting. IMO the honey badger is perfect for what it is. a lightweight, agile, short, quiet and capable gun for close quarters. suppressor a must.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the Honey Badger even made anymore?  Supposedly Wolf was going to come out with Steel case subs for ¢28 a round which would have peaked my interest but seems to not have happened.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
Is the Honey Badger even made anymore?  Supposedly Wolf was going to come out with Steel case subs for ¢28 a round which would have peaked my interest but seems to not have happened.
View Quote

Absolutely still in production, just hard to find because demand far exceeds supply. Steel cased is supposed to be here soon if not already with steel subs coming Q3/4 last I read.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I did extensive research into the Honey Badger about a year ago but there were a couple of things I didn’t like about it and while they weren’t major I decided that if I was going to spend the money I wanted something I loved every aspect of, so I built my own. I spent about 80% of the Q rifle. Only reason it’s not an SBR is because my state doesn’t allow rifles to be concealed.

Originally Posted By humahuma:
i dont think the stock on the honey badger feels like it has any more play than the standard AR stock on a standard buffer tube.

View Quote

The “standard” AR doesn’t cost almost three thousand dollars.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I did extensive research into the Honey Badger about a year ago but there were a couple of things I didn’t like about it and while they weren’t major I decided that if I was going to spend the money I wanted something I loved every aspect of, so I built my own. I spent about 80% of the Q rifle. Only reason it’s not an SBR is because my state doesn’t allow rifles to be concealed.
View Quote

what, except for the caliber, is similar to the honeybadger on that rifle?

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In before the Kevin hate...

I have a Sugar Weasel that I absolutely love, I have it set up to be a "Sugar Weasel SD", super light (a little over 6lbs as it sits with a loaded mag) and no recoil. I dabbled in 300blk about 5 years ago and gave up based on ammo price. I WAS paying around $0.50/round for subs before the panic and am eagerly waiting for the steel cased subs that will be coming this year.

While I wanted a Honey Badger, I couldn't justify the extra cost and the proprietary parts turned me off a bit. The Noveske uses the same stock but I think the rest is different.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91189/97ED6803-3AF7-4781-AB66-F4842239F7D3_jpe-1403274.JPG
View Quote
Very cool, love your setup. Did you buy the SD length handguard direct from Q? And which suppressor are you using that fits inside the handguard? Thx.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

what, except for the caliber, is similar to the honeybadger on that rifle?

View Quote

They're both AR pattern, short barreled, direct impingement firearms with a small footprint.

Both guns are around 20" in their shortest configuration but my barrel is 2" longer than the Q's 7" barrel.

After compensating for increased weight due to the longer barrel, mine is about a pound heavier than the Q and most of that is in the Law Folder and JP Silent Capture Spring so it doesn't affect the balance at all.

Other than the fact one has a folding brace and the other has a PDW brace, what significant functional differences do you believe exist?

I guess you might prefer the proprietary buffer system of the Q to a standard AR15, I don't.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Also have a sugar weasel and am a big fan.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They're both AR pattern, short barreled, direct impingement firearms with a small footprint.

Both guns are around 20" in their shortest configuration but my barrel is 2" longer than the Q's 7" barrel.

After compensating for increased weight due to the longer barrel, mine is about a pound heavier than the Q and most of that is in the Law Folder and JP Silent Capture Spring so it doesn't affect the balance at all.

Other than the fact one has a folding brace and the other has a PDW brace, what significant functional differences do you believe exist?

I guess you might prefer the proprietary buffer system of the Q to a standard AR15, I don't.
View Quote

i dont prefer the HB buffer system to a standard AR. I was not saying that the Honey Badger was better than a standard AR. I do not think people that buy the HB are looking for something "better", just different.

with your type of example, there would be no reason to buy anything other than PSA AR rifles (not saying your rifle is PSA, but you see what im saying). And even then the Anderson crowd would scoff.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]
One thing that I think is different on the HB vs the Noveske is that the HB uses 1:5 trait barrel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

i dont prefer the HB buffer system to a standard AR. I was not saying that the Honey Badger was better than a standard AR. I do not think people that buy the HB are looking for something "better", just different.

with your type of example, there would be no reason to buy anything other than PSA AR rifles (not saying your rifle is PSA, but you see what im saying). And even then the Anderson crowd would scoff.

View Quote

Yeah I get what you are saying.  I'm not trying to crap on anyone's build, everyone has their own individual tastes and needs but a Honey Badger is a Honey Badger and then you have custom AR 300BLK builds.  I think people who buy a Honey Badger do so for it's strengths and quirks.  From the clear anodizing that gives it it's hodge podge of colors to the retractable stock, proprietary buffer system and hand guard.  It's the complete package that makes it attractive to me at least, for better or worse.  I also have a custom AR 300BLK build and it's been awesome, but that didn't stop me from wanting the Honey Badger which is the ultimate 300BLK for me.

I went all out on my custom AR 300BLK build, JP capture silent spring, Noveske parts galore, billet upper and lower, but after actually holding a Honey Badger SD at my local store, I knew I had to have one.  So light and it felt solid.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You asked what was similar to the Q and my gun, I answered and asked what you thought was different.

Your reply is, essentially, that mine isn't a Q and the Q is. That's fine, if people want a Q they should buy a Q, but there is very little functional difference between the Q and a more standard AR style 300 BLK pistol or SBR.

If someone wants the brand I'm not here to tell them not to buy it but if someone wants the performance, the Q might not be the best choice depending on their preferences.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I think part of the allure of the Q products is lightweight and the 1:5 twist.

Since KB was the main guy to bring BLK to the forefront I think he knows how to make it work.

I was wanting a HB pistol. I’ve decided the ergonomics and
proprietary parts make the Sugar Weasel the better value for me.

I. WILL own one.

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I found the LMT CSW to be superior.

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I found the LMT CSW to be superior.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/3045/d2bemU.jpg
View Quote
How so?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How so?
View Quote

The LMT is:

Shorter
More sturdy
Hand guard doesn’t get nearly as hot as fast (comparing integral to integral)
Honey Badger’s clear anodized metal shows wear quickly
Monolithic rail
You can use any magazine (I prefer Lancer)
Most of the gun isn’t proprietary like the HB, so you can also have the option to mod more things

I haven’t done a dB comparison, but my perception is that the Honey Badger is slightly quieter.
It is also lighter.
And it is cheaper.

Comparing these two, for these reasons, I found the LMT to be superior and worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Honey Badger’s clear anodized metal shows wear quickly
View Quote

Where are you hearing this? Isn't the whole point of clear anodizing is that it's more durable then pigmented anodizing?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#24]
This is through personal experience.

Likewise, when dealing with lighter colors, they are always more prone to showing black stains from gunpowder, etc. It’s difficult to keep looking good. I haven’t read any reviews, but my guess is someone has said something about this, somewhere.

I like Kevin and am looking forward to his 8.6 release, and have listened to his podcasts. Not once has he mentioned that the clear anodizing is for “durability”. In fact, he only eschews black guns because they’re really “dark purple”. So if a clear anodizing is more “durable,” it’s a mystery to me. It’s my personal deduction that he’s chosen to use clear anodizing to simply be different.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]
@the_adrenalist
Quoted:

Likewise, when dealing with lighter colors, they are always more prone to showing black stains from gunpowder, etc. It’s difficult to keep looking good. I haven’t read any reviews, but my guess is someone has said something about this, somewhere.

I like Kevin and am looking forward to his 8.6 release, and have listened to his podcasts. Not once has he mentioned that the clear anodizing is for “durability”. In fact, he only eschews black guns because they’re really “dark purple”. So if a clear anodizing is more “durable,” it’s a mystery to me. It’s my personal deduction that he’s chosen to use clear anodizing to simply be different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kevin has talked about it on multiple podcasts and instagram Q&As.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-honey-badger-by-q-sbr-and-pistol/
Clear anodizing is the most durable form of anodizing...

Q figures that special operations group types are going to rattle can their guns anyway, and chose the most durable option without any real regard to appearance
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool!

Like I said, it sure shows use far faster than a black gun. I guess that’s not a “durability” factor, though....

Glad you set me straight on a rabbit hole I wasn’t addressing...

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clear anodizing the surface pores seal a little tighter and there is no organic dye to fade or oxidize.  Actual mechanical durability is a function of the thickness of the conversion coating.  As a matter of cosmetics the thinner clear coatings show abuse less. Thicker undated coatings start to develop more darker color and show deep gouges more readily.  Thick anodizing costs more and requires dimensional design that tolerates the coating buildup.  In truth, more isn’t better.  

Your personal deduction passes the smell test.

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#29]
@CaribouLou45
Quoted:
It never was about a stronger finish
View Quote

Well then why does the owner of the company say it was because they selected the strongest finish available?

Reading is fundamental.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@CaribouLou45

Well then why does the owner of the company say it was because they selected the strongest finish available?
View Quote

"It never was about a stronger finish for presentation"

There's a difference between a strong finish for preventing cosmetic scratches and protection against the elements (corrosion)

ETA: Haha no worries
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Are people talking about the gun looking dirtier quicker lol?

Amazing how many people seem to miss the point.  Pretty easy to build a slick 300bo, but that doesn’t make it a HB or 80% of an HB.  How many of y’all are running 1:5 barrels?

Regardless of your position on KB, he has 300 dialed in. You cannot argue that.  He’s been pretty straightforward that the 1:5 twist is key to the rounds’ performance, esp in subs.  Seems like the 1:5 barrel with tapered muzzle and adjustable gas block is the heart of the system on both the HB and SW.  ideally he’d like an even faster twist, but is limited by realistic barrel availability.

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How many of y’all are running 1:5 barrels?
View Quote

My take on the HB.  Running a Q barrel and trash panda. SLR rail with a mega upper and lower.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#33]
????Guy gets it.  ????

Quoted:

My take on the HB.  Running a Q barrel and trash panda. SLR rail with a mega upper and lower.
View Quote

We can now return to the “just as good as” beauty pageant
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are people talking about the gun looking dirtier quicker lol?

Amazing how many people seem to miss the point.  Pretty easy to build a slick 300bo, but that doesn’t make it a HB or 80% of an HB.  How many of y’all are running 1:5 barrels?

Regardless of your position on KB, he has 300 dialed in. You cannot argue that.  He’s been pretty straightforward that the 1:5 twist is key to the rounds’ performance, esp in subs.  Seems like the 1:5 barrel with tapered muzzle and adjustable gas block is the heart of the system on both the HB and SW.  ideally he’d like an even faster twist, but is limited by realistic barrel availability.

View Quote

What bullet/load is optimal for 1:5 twist barrels?  If rotational velocity is taken advantage of does that involve really thin jackets?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What bullet/load is optimal for 1:5 twist barrels?  If rotational velocity is taken advantage of dues that involve really thin jackets?
View Quote

The barrel was originally designed around the Barnes 110 gr TAC-TX. They tried to go faster but found that some 308 projectiles started to come apart.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m not yet seeing any advantage to the 1:5 twist barrels. A 1:7 will stabilize a 240 grn SMK in the cold down to muzzle velocities below 900fps.  The 110 grn Vortex is very capable out of a 1:7 Twist. I haven’t found any ballistic gel comparisons between the two twists.   The money saved in not buying a boutique barrel pays to keep a comforting load of mags filled with factory Barnes Tac TX.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#37]
@KalmanPhilter

Quoted:
I’m not yet seeing any advantage to the 1:5 twist barrels. A 1:7 will stabilize a 240 grn SMK in the cold down to muzzle velocities below 900fps.  The 110 grn Vortex is very capable out of a 1:7 Twist. I haven’t found any ballistic gel comparisons between the two twists.   The money saved in not buying a boutique barrel pays to keep a comforting load of mags filled with factory Barnes Tac TX.
View Quote

This is from Q/Discrete Ballistics 8.6 Blackout test comparing a 1:3 to a 1:7 twist barrels.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=604326380351389
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I did extensive research into the Honey Badger about a year ago but there were a couple of things I didn't like about it and while they weren't major I decided that if I was going to spend the money I wanted something I loved every aspect of, so I built my own. I spent about 80% of the Q rifle. Only reason it's not an SBR is because my state doesn't allow rifles to be concealed.

https://i.imgur.com/8s5Pyys.jpg

The "standard" AR doesn't cost almost three thousand dollars.
View Quote
Is it registered as an AOW?  I thought adding a vert grip to an AR pistol was a no no.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#39]
That likely isn’t “really” a vertical grip.  The arbitrarian gun tax popo have previously put out a letter that a vert grip is 90 degrees to the bore.   From what I’ve seen in public few people give a glance at a handguard protuberance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is it registered as an AOW?  I thought adding a vert grip to an AR pistol was a no no.
View Quote

Quoted:
That likely isn’t “really” a vertical grip.  The arbitrarian gun tax popo have previously put out a letter that a vert grip is 90 degrees to the bore.   From what I’ve seen in public few people give a glance at a handguard protuberance.
View Quote

Yea, that letter exists.

Like all letters, it only applies to the person it's addressed to.

It's a grey area, this particular "grip" is too short to really use as a grip (wrapping your thumb around it), the same company makes another grip with the same angle that is much longer and is quite obviously a grip, in function if not in the law. I have one on my Scoprion SBR, I wouldn't risk putting it on this.

Frankly, I think the ATF is loathe to be forced to declare, on the record and in court, what constitutes a vertical grip.

Maybe someone with the authority to do something about it takes exception to my setup, I gauge the risk as minimal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yea, that letter exists.

Like all letters, it only applies to the person it's addressed to.

It's a grey area, this particular "grip" is too short to really use as a grip (wrapping your thumb around it), the same company makes another grip with the same angle that is much longer and is quite obviously a grip, in function if not in the law. I have one on my Scoprion SBR, I wouldn't risk putting it on this.

Frankly, I think the ATF is loathe to be forced to declare, on the record and in court, what constitutes a vertical grip.

Maybe someone with the authority to do something about it takes exception to my setup, I gauge the risk as minimal.
View Quote
My scorpion is actually the exact reason I asked.  It's the only one of my shorties that isn't registered and has a "brace" but I absolutely HATE shooting it without a vert grip.  For that reason alone I'm probably gonna break down and SBR it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#42]

I'm a fan. Mostly because they're very lightweight and easier for my wife to hold.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://ibb.co/hCXfnS7

I'm a fan. Mostly because they're very lightweight and easier for my wife to hold.
View Quote

TIFI

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
i am a big fan of the honey badger.  makes a great HD gun with supers and range toy with subs IMO. you could buy the S&B and Magtech subs for 50 cents shipped if you bought a case up until recently so while the prices arent great they could be worse. hopefully they will come down in the future (and after the current situation).

i watched the GT video and agree with most of it although i dont think the stock on the honey badger feels like it has any more play than the standard AR stock on a standard buffer tube. i dont notice any play when shooting. IMO the honey badger is perfect for what it is. a lightweight, agile, short, quiet and capable gun for close quarters. suppressor a must.

View Quote

I have an HB pistol. The fit and finish is what sets it apart from every other AR I own. I felt the same way about the stock. Mine is very rigid while shooting. This pistol is best while suppressed but makes a handy little PDW when needed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quick question for those who happen to preorder a honey badger (any any fireaarm) direct from the Q website. I can’t seem to find any info on the site but what is their policy on cancellations should I need to cancel a preorder should it take too long or if I change my mind?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top