Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2017 6:12:22 AM EDT
So I just got a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken on a screaming deal as my first muzzle loader and all I have around is some Pyrodex P since I shoot cap and ball wheelguns a lot. I shot the rifle with 72 grains of the P a few times and it seems to work really well, I was just curious if there is any long term issues with the FFFG or P powder since technically it's not the right powder. Also if anyone knows the maximum powder charge this rifle can handle that would be great thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#1]
P will work all I used 'til I switched to GOEX  I have no Idea about Maxload but I used 80gP Pyrodex in a GreyHawk with a TC MaxiHunter for years with no problems.

My guess is somewhere between 50 - 80 gr should be OK in a fifty.

Keep in mind that accuracy is what your after and Velocity in a ML is not as important as we make it in CF.

When I switched to GOEX I found FFg to be best for my 50 cal and above YMMV,The rifle will tell you what it likes and with a PRB I'll bet 60gr will be good.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top