Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2018 2:19:20 PM EDT
Just recently picked up a TNVC WP PVS-14 (specs are totally awesome by the way - thanks TNVC!).  One issue that I have with it so far is it seems to be quite sensitive somehow, haven't quite figured out what's causing it.  If it gets a little jolt or something it shuts itself off.  This seems to happen as well when I raise the mount so I guess that's probably what it is designed to do.  Problem is, its way sensitive.  When its on my head I can just give somewhat of an enthusiastic nod and it will shut it off.  So it has shut itself off several times already when I don't want it to when hiking if it bounces a little too much.  Its actually kind of a safety hazard because you're moving a long and then BOOM you cant see anything!

Is this what its supposed to do?
How do I make sure its not turning off all the time, especially when I don't want it to?

Seems like I should be able to override this somehow, but of course I don't want to mess it up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Put a little square of electrical tape over the two contacts on your pvs14 body where the mount screws in.

What helmet mount are you using?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok I'll give that a try.  Mount is a Wilcox L4 G11
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
With most mounts, it's supposed to auto shut off in case the user flips up their NV, so they don't forget and walk into a lit environment potentially ruining their tube. Call Vic at TNVC and ask him about his very expensive set of NV that has a etching of his kitchen burned into his tube.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm no expert, but that sounds more like a loose connection than an auto off feature to me if it is blacking out that easily.

@TNVC_Augee can probably answer for sure, one way or another.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The G11 mount works off of a little weight in the mount arm that has a magnet on it I believe. This rotates if I remember correctly 90 degrees and triggers it off.

When I had my G11 I took that out and disabled the auto off feature. You take out 4 screws and pull that piece out and no more shut off. Other option is put a piece of tape over the contact on the housing as said.

The G11 is really sensitive and if I shook my head up and down it would shut off, or if you look straight up in the air. Its the mount, nothing is wrong with anything.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to hear that. I had the opposite problem with my G24 and Wilcox arm w/ auto off. Couldn't get it to shut off ever.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m not a fan of auto cut off... I use a Norotos dovetail arm with a g24 and disable it. It was not as sensitive as the g11 but still too sensitive for my liking.

I really like the anvis ball mount the best for auto cutoff but don’t think I’ll be using it even with my goggles
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m not a fan of auto cut off... I use a Norotos dovetail arm with a g24 and disable it. It was not as sensitive as the g11 but still too sensitive for my liking.

I really like the anvis ball mount the best for auto cutoff but don’t think I’ll be using it even with my goggles
View Quote
I don’t like it either so far.  Way too sensitive.  Would be nice to have that mentioned in the item descriptions.  I’ll have to take a closer look at this tonight, hopefully will be able to fix the set up I have.  Lotta money spent on this already so I’m trying to cut back lol

So far not a fan of that j arm either.  Putting the damn lens cap on can cause it to twist.  Pretty sure I have the tension set ok on it
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The J-Arm or dovetail mount you are using has a little sensor in it that tells your PVS-14 to turn off when pointed up. These sensors are the devil. The concept is retarded, half of them don't work right and they all deserve to die.

I don't just block the electrical contact with tape. I take the mount apart and totally remove that bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I liked the g11 better than the rhino mount but I’m a big fan of the Norotos dual dovetail on a g24 mount, solid as can possibly be. I would of gone for Norotos on the mount too but am building goggles and I prefer the g24 with goggle.

I have not figured out how to disable the dual dove tail yet but I must say I have not looked too hard at it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don’t like it either so far.  Way too sensitive.  Would be nice to have that mentioned in the item descriptions.  I’ll have to take a closer look at this tonight, hopefully will be able to fix the set up I have.  Lotta money spent on this already so I’m trying to cut back lol

So far not a fan of that j arm either.  Putting the damn lens cap on can cause it to twist.  Pretty sure I have the tension set ok on it
View Quote
You need to tighten the knob on the J-arm more it should not move at all, Let alone just from putting your cap on.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed, funny about all those " FleaBay" arms we see along with so-called "Mil Spec glass" for both PVS-14's along with 3x magnifiers.  
View Quote
Ummmmm, it does it all night long with the j-arm I got directly from TNVC.  Completely prevents stargazing from a blanket.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ummmmm, it does it all night long with the j-arm I got directly from TNVC.  Completely prevents stargazing from a blanket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, funny about all those " FleaBay" arms we see along with so-called "Mil Spec glass" for both PVS-14's along with 3x magnifiers.  
The sensor in most mount/J-ARM setups will turn your PVS-14 off anytime you look up.

Stargazing generally involves looking up.

Are you using a RHNO or RHNO II mount?

If so, find the little plastic magnetic thing that is behind the bayonet mount for the J-Arm and uninstall it. Problem solved.

It's the plastic piece of crap on the back that rattles when shaken. That's what trips the sensor in the off switch. Remove it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The sensor in most mount/J-ARM setups will turn your PVS-14 off anytime you look up.

Stargazing generally involves looking up.

Are you using a RHNO or RHNO II mount?
View Quote
G11. I want the auto-shutoff.  It's a useful failsafe for when the NVG is stowed in the unused position.

It should not turn off just because you look up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

G11. I want the auto-shutoff.  It's a useful failsafe for when the NVG is stowed in the unused position.

View Quote
From all I've heard not one NOD does this reliably & comfortably (edit: except ball detent mounted ones of course). DTNVG with it's accelerometers (+ gyros not sure, but doubt it) does it quite OK and doesn't turn off when stargazing. You need to swing your neck more than 90deg up from horizontal, guessing somewhere around 100-110deg and then it shuts off. And that's some serious acrobatics if you manage to do it. But then again it might not shut off in regular stow if you are leaned forwards and it's not pointing to the correct direction.

Like talked in some other thread, pretty much all mounts have magnets somewhere hidden in there. If they were to put them into the shroud portion of the mount the NOD could sense it from there instead of just from gravity alone.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe it was a mil requirement along with force to overcome flip mount but correct me if I’m wrong. It’s a poorly designed feature that I would not count on as a fail safe. With the exception of the dtnvg and ball detention, it’s a simple piece that moves 90 degrees and shuts it off. They work off of gravity so if you look up close to the 90 degrees off of the gravitational pull it will shut off. Some are more sensitive than others but they work off of a stupid simple concept that is not smart enough to know if we flipped it up or looked up. Think rock on a string for the first attitude indicator on an airplane
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree that electrical tape can work as a quick-fix. But electrical tape gets torn after a few mountings in my experience. It also leaves gooey crap to some degree. And do I really trust 0.02" of Chinese vinyl?

That's why I said screw it and went on a purge-the-autoshutoff-heretics crusade and yanked all the wiring, contacts and magnets and sensors from my dovetails, J-Arms and mounts. It takes some tinkering, but the problem is solved permanently with no continued hassle.

My NODs aren't getting left on. I don't think this is really a problem unless you're the kind of person that accidentally leaves your car running in the driveway overnight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Where did you put the electrical tape that it gets torn up?  
I put it under the dovetail where it attached on the pvs-14 contacts.  Unless you’re removing your dovetail mount on and off for some reason, you shouldn’t have to worry about tape wear
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top