Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2018 7:47:25 PM EDT
I have a Bergara BMP in 6.5 creedmoor that I love to shoot now. My buddy let me throw his direct thread 338LM can on my 6.5. Shoots like a dream. But my problem is I have a Sandman S in ATF jail right now. Sitting at about 5 months now so its almost out of jail. I have a few muzzle devices on various ARs in 5.56 and 300blk. Would it be silly to throw a 30cal muzzle device on a bolt gun? If its good should I go comp or flash hider? Anyone shoot a Sandman on a bolt gun? Or start the wait on a direct thread can?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Sandman muzzle brakes on a Ruger American Predator and American Ranch. No complaints here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Silencerco omega with keymo, custom Remington 700 in .300 winmag, dead air muzzle brake. They play together nicely.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The Dead-Air brake is pretty effective, I have them on several precision bolt guns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have Sandman muzzle brakes on a Ruger American Predator and American Ranch. No complaints here.
View Quote
Do you use a sandman can too?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Buddy of mine has the Dead Air break on his 308 bolt.  Said it works very well as a muzzle break and he's pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you use a sandman can too?
View Quote
Yes, Sandman-S.

Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The Dead Air muzzle brake design was actually one of the selling points for me with my Sandman.

It really isn't much louder than a flash hider from the shooter's perspective, at least in my novice opinion.

I have had people a few lanes down ask what I was shooting, though...
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]

No complaints with my Sandman K and the brake mounted on the Ruger American in .300blk.  As a stand alone brake its effective without out the can.  I've also shot the Pyro on the end as well.  Very effective brake.  Seems silly I know, brake on a brake but I figured what the hell because I had it on hand and I could lol. It usually lives over the flash hider on my AR pistol in 5.56. Since we are on that subject, the flash hider is pretty effective as a stand alone device if muzzle flash is a concern for you.  If not then definitely the brake.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
have breaks on my savage model 10s and my ruger american in x39 will have one as well, all to mount my sandman L - no complaints
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Ruger Ranch in x39 that I run an S and K on no problems.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
On a 6.5 precision rifle a brake may let you have a stable enough follow through to see your own bullet trace at longer ranges through the rifle scope. If you don't know what that looks like spot for someone directly behind them with a good high magnification optic. Plus you really don't need a flash hider on a daylight rig with a longer barrel.  Your rifle is an appropriate use of a brake.  It'll sound like a rimfire through your hearing protection with the can, and without the can the concussion is farther away on a longer barrelled bolt gun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Bergara had been putting the Dead Air brakes on their LRP rifles. Not sure if they still are, but they work nicely on a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Have Dead Air brakes and Sandman-L's on two 6.5c bolt guns. Much prefer it somewhat tamed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I run Dead Air brake and Sandman-L on my Rem700 .308
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#17]
brake. BRAKE. B R A K E.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
brake. BRAKE. B R A K E.
View Quote
Give the guy a brake, will ya?

Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I just got my dead air muzzle break from optics planet and it did not come with the shims. Wtf. I have a couple left over from my other one but it did not time still. I want to shoot it this coming weekend and I need them. Who’s on the hook for this one?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I just got my dead air muzzle break from optics planet and it did not come with the shims. Wtf. I have a couple left over from my other one but it did not time still. I want to shoot it this coming weekend and I need them. Who’s on the hook for this one?
View Quote
I'd just send a quick email to Dead Air's customer service folks. I'm sure they can get you squared away.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#21]
While we're on the subject of DA muzzle devices, i saw this on weapon outfitter's instagram
https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/sons-of-libert-gun-works-nox-keymount-556.html
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:54:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
How was it packaged?

The shims should have been hidden in between the layers of cardboard inside the clamshell packaging. Hard to say who's fault it is, but Dead Air will probably be easier to deal with than Optics Planet.

Other brands work, too. I've used Dead Air, YHM, AAC, Gemtech, and PRI shims so far. For flash hider installation, I like the AAC and Gemtech shims the best, due to the smaller OD. PRI shims are good, too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:00:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
While we're on the subject of DA muzzle devices, i saw this on weapon outfitter's instagram
https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/sons-of-libert-gun-works-nox-keymount-556.html
View Quote
I'd be surprised if that's a licensed copy. I know Sylvan Arms had a clone out for a while, too. Let's make sure @mageever sees this, just to be safe.

Besides, that thing is ugly! Why would you want to add extra ports to a flash hider? I imagine it defeats the purpose.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd just send a quick email to Dead Air's customer service folks. I'm sure they can get you squared away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, they obviously were missed during packaging.  Give our CS a call and Rod will get some sent the same day.

Quoted:

I'd be surprised if that's a licensed copy. I know Sylvan Arms had a clone out for a while, too. Let's make sure @mageever sees this, just to be safe.

Besides, that thing is ugly! Why would you want to add extra ports to a flash hider? I imagine it defeats the purpose.
It's legit.  I helped them to ensure they got the key dimensions correct. The SOLGW guys are awesome and make great rifles.   I think the idea was to make it work like a compensator too.

Sylvan was definitely a knock-off and absolutely not worth it because they messed up some pretty key features.  Luckily, they've moved on in life and we don't need to worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How was it packaged?

The shims should have been hidden in between the layers of cardboard inside the clamshell packaging. Hard to say who's fault it is, but Dead Air will probably be easier to deal with than Optics Planet.

Other brands work, too. I've used Dead Air, YHM, AAC, Gemtech, and PRI shims so far. For flash hider installation, I like the AAC and Gemtech shims the best, due to the smaller OD. PRI shims are good, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How was it packaged?

Ya this is my forth dead air muzzle device so I am  familiar where they’re located. It was packaged in a usps bag thing. But it was not torn or anything.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah, they obviously were missed during packaging.  Give our CS a call and Rod will get some sent the same day.

It's legit.  I helped them to ensure they got the key dimensions correct. The SOLGW guys are awesome and make great rifles.   I think the idea was to make it work like a compensator too.

Sylvan was definitely a knock-off and absolutely not worth it because they messed up some pretty key features.  Luckily, they've moved on in life and we don't need to worry about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you. I will give them a cal this morning
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm glad to hear it's legit! It's always nice to have options, even if it's not one I would choose for myself.

Sylvan Arms is a company I will never do business with. After trying to sell their imitation flash hiders, they are now selling a poor imitation of the LAW Tactical folding stock adapter.

It's sad to see a company's entire business model be focused in what they can steal from others. Shameful.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#28]
6.5, work's great.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Sons of Liberty is G2G.  If your ever in the San Antonio area check out their shop.  Nice bunch of guys in there. I might have to pick one of those modded mounts to try out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top