Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2018 3:44:33 PM EDT
Looking at fatboy Jr. with e-lock my cash price is $1587 then the $100 rebate through liberty. Delivery into my bulkhead is $505.

Not a cheap project here.

Anyone know what else I should be looking at here or is this about as good as I'm going to get for the money?

Wish the delivery wasn't so damn much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#1]
dude.

delivery is free and 2 guys can do it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
dude.

delivery is free and 2 guys can do it.
View Quote
Delivery is not free unfortunately. I'm outside the 25 mile radius. I could transport it in my pickup but I'd be better off with a trailer.

Of course I'm open to suggestions on how to get it home.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The place put it in my pick-up with a fork lift. I did the rest with 1 helper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do tell...
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I rented a 16 foot box truck with a gate lift a pallet jack and the stair dolly did it all myself in under an hour not counting driving cost me about 150 bucks

OPSEC intact
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do tell...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do tell...
they only weigh 760 pounds.

get a fridge dolly and a buddy.   slide it off the end of your truck and onto the dolly. wheel it into your basement.

save 20% here.. https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-100-gift-card-for-Cabelas-is-80-on-now/5-2102379/
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Delivery charge is way off base, at that costs and the relatively speaking light weight (for a safe), I would find a way to do this project myself.

I paid less for a significantly heavier safe delivery & install.

Heck, you can buy on-line, take curb delivery, then you only have to move it into the garage/house at your leisure.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
That delivery is insane!

I paid a $100 surcharge over the "Free" delivery since I am about 60 miles away from the place I bought it. 1100 pound safe.
Stairs would add some cost, but not $400. Ouch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The local Liberty dealer near me is $300 for 1 flight of stairs, $100 for two steps or less (into the first floor of a house or a garage). The owners of the place do the deliveries.

The price of the safe itself is just the regular MSRP. If they are only offering you MSRP and $500 for delivery I would look elsehwere, even if you lived far away.

I ended up buying a used safe recently and the guy replaced the safe with a bigger 1200lb safe that he had delivered into his house from about 2 hours away for less than $500.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The gun shop I deal with can get a Fatboy Jr w/ elock and electrical panel for $1539. His delivery guy is $475 to bring it in through my bulkhead.

There's also another $100 rebate through liberty right now.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought mine from Cabelas years ago before the price went up. Shipped from Utah to my house included in the price. Instructions were vague, I was expecting a curbside drop off but they wheeled it in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The gun shop I deal with can get a Fatboy Jr w/ elock and electrical panel for $1539. His delivery guy is $475 to bring it in through my bulkhead.

There's also another $100 rebate through liberty right now.

Thoughts?
View Quote
whats a bulkhead?

and it sounds expensive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
whats a bulkhead?

and it sounds expensive.
View Quote
I can't find it cheaper with cheaper delivery around here. The liberty dealer won't budge on their pricing. This is through my gun shop with their mover.

A bulkhead is a walkout entry into basement.

http://buymbs.com/p-6028-bilco-classic-series-primed-steel-basement-door.aspx?vid=1080706&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_CPC&utm_campaign=1080706&gclid=CjwKCAjw2dvWBRBvEiwADllhn-ttt0CdgrRTA-GF6S48uSCpQCpJqn0xekikZX2N5b__UUIhqdkQkhoCxIUQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can't find it cheaper with cheaper delivery around here. The liberty dealer won't budge on their pricing. This is through my gun shop with their mover.

http://buymbs.com/p-6028-bilco-classic-series-primed-steel-basement-door.aspx?vid=1080706&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_CPC&utm_campaign=1080706&gclid=CjwKCAjw2dvWBRBvEiwADllhn-ttt0CdgrRTA-GF6S48uSCpQCpJqn0xekikZX2N5b__UUIhqdkQkhoCxIUQAvD_BwE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
whats a bulkhead?

and it sounds expensive.

steps?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
steps?
View Quote
Correct, 4 steps down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Correct, 4 steps down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
steps?
Correct, 4 steps down.
When I bought my Liberty on sale from Gander Mountain the recommended safe mover wanted $500 and I don't even have steps... it was like 40 miles from my house so I went and rented a pickup truck and did it myself. it cost me like 60 bucks for the truck. that's what I recommend you do. it's really not that hard to move the safe down for steps if you have several men. I had to go down a hill to get to my basement and although it wasn't fun it was manageable with three people. it only took two people to get it off the truck. It's basically a balancing act to get it off the tailgate without dropping it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Crazy I saw this thread. I'm buying a safe soon and thinking about the Fatboy Jr
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought a 900 lb Superior Safe Co. Regal 40 and am getting it delivered down 6 steps into an outside basement entrance for $250.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I paid $320 delivered and bolted down from 50 miles away and down 12 stairs for my Fatboy Jr as a comparison.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I paid $320 delivered and bolted down from 50 miles away and down 12 stairs for my Fatboy Jr as a comparison.
View Quote
Wish I could find a deal like that!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Bought my Liberty Fatboy Jr today.  Only charged $250 for delivery and bolt down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Where are you guys getting these deals?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where are you guys getting these deals?
View Quote
whats the cost of living in TX  vs NH?

thats the difference.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine was just standard.  I ordered on the Liberty website and then chose their dealer, I think called a platinum one, and price was that cheap.  That's like I said 50 miles and down stairs and bolted.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, bought my Franklin 50 (close to 1100lbs, IIRC) from the closest Liberty dealer and got delivery (roughly 25-30 miles) and install (lag bolted to the concrete foundation) for free.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I ordered an Amsec 7236 that weighs 4400 lbs. Delivery was free. To the curb.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
whats the cost of living in TX  vs NH?

thats the difference.
View Quote
Certainly higher cost of living in the northeast. We don't have state income tax either though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I ordered an Amsec 7236 that weighs 4400 lbs. Delivery was free. To the curb.
View Quote
Cue up the Jack Nicholson nodding .gif.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cue up the Jack Nicholson nodding .gif.
View Quote
How'd you get it inside?!
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Moved one in my house basically by my self.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Moved one in my house basically by my self.
View Quote
Hardcore dude.

My challenge is getting it in my basement. I've got a truck that will haul it. Getting it inside is the challenge.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Go with a mechanical S&G dial lock. I’ve had a fat boy jr for about a decade. It’s “good enough” for the price and holds a ton of guns. The price, however, is high...on the safe and delivery. I paid $1099 for mine on sale and moved it myself. They’re easy to move with a hand truck that has kicker wheels. Got one for $180 from Northern Tool.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How'd you get it inside?!
View Quote
Telehandler and a pallet jack
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#34]
This will move a FB Jr with ease...and is what I bought.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624027_200624027
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
And no issues moving over grass down stairs into a basement?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lay plywood on the grass or just drive right up to the door.
I would build a ramp out of 2 4x4's over the steps and slide it down on its back.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Consider leaving NH if possible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm cheap compared to some places elsewhere in the country.  For a safe less than 1,000 pounds and 5 foot tall, I would get about $275 if I had to roll it through the yard by hand.  $225 if I could drive to it.  $375 for a straight flight of stairs.  This is all within a 30 road mile distance from the store.

I also have several million dollars worth of insurance, six figures worth of equipment, competent employees who are compensated well and covered by work comp insurance.  Anybody delivering safes for $100 doesn't have any of this.  They can't because $100 won't pay for it.  Even professional movers hire us due to the number of deaths and injuries they have been experiencing lately.

If you think paying a pro is expensive, wait until somebody gets hurt.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Consider leaving NH if possible.
View Quote
Arguably among the best gun rights in the country? Yeah no thanks...
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm cheap compared to some places elsewhere in the country.  For a safe less than 1,000 pounds and 5 foot tall, I would get about $275 if I had to roll it through the yard by hand.  $225 if I could drive to it.  $375 for a straight flight of stairs.  This is all within a 30 road mile distance from the store.

I also have several million dollars worth of insurance, six figures worth of equipment, competent employees who are compensated well and covered by work comp insurance.  Anybody delivering safes for $100 doesn't have any of this.  They can't because $100 won't pay for it.  Even professional movers hire us due to the number of deaths and injuries they have been experiencing lately.

If you think paying a pro is expensive, wait until somebody gets hurt.
View Quote
Sounds like you're saying these guys aren't completely priced out of line then.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#41]
 Sounds like you're saying these guys aren't completely priced out of line then.  
View Quote
Maybe a tad high, but far from outrageous.  It really depends.

As an example, let's say that in that part of the world they only do one or two deliveries in a day.  Everybody judges us on the time that they see us at their home while ignoring the other time involved.  They still had to prep their equipment for work that day, get it loaded, drive to the store, pick up the safe, drive to the customers home, install the safe, pack up, drive back to the shop, and unload everything.  I do all of this, but I deliver 5 safes in a day.  This allows me to adjust my price downward because I can spread that additional time/effort across multiple customers instead of 1.

I have a friend in this business in another state that delivers 10 gun safes a day.  I don't know how he does it, but he does.

How many of you guys have asked for proof of insurance from those moving your safe?  I bet I can count on one hand the number of times I'm asked in any given calendar year and most of those instances are related to commercial work.  Is the truck that pulls up in front of your house sporting DOT numbers?  If not, why?  There are clearly some exceptions here, but if somebody is transporting goods for hire they're required to have commercially licensed and insured vehicles and meet all of the safety requirements of the state or federal authorities (if they cross state lines).  Company uniforms?  Proper safety gear (including footwear)?   Proper equipment?

I see an awful lot of "companies" providing these types of services that don't have any of the above.  That's why they're "cheaper", at least until something goes wrong.  And things do go wrong.  There are usually a handful of people killed moving safes each year.  I installed a safe for a gentleman a few weeks back.  Very easy delivery on a main floor of a safe that weighed 500 pounds or so.  He was telling us a story about how a friend bought a safe and during the move it got away from them injuring one of the buddies that had volunteered to help.  He was telling us this story from his recliner where he was resting as all of his broken ribs healed.  I have no idea what his medial bills were worth.  No idea what his time off of work was worth.  But I can guarantee you the money I would have charged to install that safe was a small fraction of what he's dealing with.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm happy with my Fatboy.   I borrowed a friends trailer and rolled it off the trailer into my driveway with the help of two guys.  From there we were able to roll it into the final resting place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top