Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 6:39:30 PM EDT
I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place for this question, but I figured it was a much better place to ask than GD since there are dealers here.

I recently purchased a Dan Wesson Valor 1911 from a dealer off of Gunbroker. It was listed as New Old Stock. I noticed in the listing that the grips had been changed out and the mags weren't Dan Wesson mags. These things weren't really an issue for me, but I emailed the seller before purchasing to confirm that the gun was new and I asked if any other mods had been done besides the grips. The seller replied that the gun hadn't been fired since it left the factory and that the grips had been changed out and the gun had been disassembled and cleaned by his gunsmith. When I received the gun I discovered that all the internal components had been highly polished. The frame rails, disconnector rail, and barrel hood had also been polished. I asked the seller about it and he said they do that to all their high end guns. He said if I wasn't happy with the gun I could return it unfired. I told him I would like to do that. He then replied that I would be refunded minus a 15% restock fee, minus original and return shipping, and minus the credit card fee. This would be about $300. I don't think that's reasonable since there was no mention of the modifications in his listing or in his reply to my direct question about it.

Am I being unreasonable for expecting a full refund?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so.  I think you are getting shafted.  
If all those details were listed, then I'd say he OK...
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd contact gunbroker and tell them what's going on.  They may intervene on your behalf since the gun is not as described.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd contact gunbroker and tell them what's going on.  They may intervene on your behalf since the gun is not as described.
View Quote
Their process requires that a claim be filed with the credit card company and denied before they will do anything. Also, they only pay up to $500 with a $100 deductible.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Their process requires that a claim be filed with the credit card company and denied before they will do anything. Also, they only pay up to $500 with a $100 deductible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahh, that sucks.  Still sounds like it was definitely not as described.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
…. It was listed as New Old Stock.
View Quote
Typically that means a factory new gun that has been sitting on the shelf for a loooong time. Usually the box will show wear or dust, but the gun should be factory new.
And NEVER describes a firearm that has been monkeyed with.

I noticed in the listing that the grips had been changed out and the mags weren't Dan Wesson mags. These things weren't really an issue for me, but I emailed the seller before purchasing to confirm that the gun was new and I asked if any other mods had been done besides the grips. The seller replied that the gun hadn't been fired since it left the factory and that the grips had been changed out and the gun had been disassembled and cleaned by his gunsmith. When I received the gun I discovered that all the internal components had been highly polished. The frame rails, disconnector rail, and barrel hood had also been polished. I asked the seller about it and he said they do that to all their high end guns.
View Quote
That isn't "New Old Stock", that's "Bubbafied".

He said if I wasn't happy with the gun I could return it unfired. I told him I would like to do that. He then replied that I would be refunded minus a 15% restock fee, minus original and return shipping, and minus the credit card fee. This would be about $300. I don't think that's reasonable since there was no mention of the modifications in his listing or in his reply to my direct question about it.

Am I being unreasonable for expecting a full refund?
View Quote

Bottom line is the gun is not as described. The seller should have disclosed the bubbafication. You should get a complete and total refund. He knows he's in the wrong.
If you paid via credit card, tell him you will do a chargeback. He'll listen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If a chargeback is initiated, where does returning the gun fall into the picture?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If a chargeback is initiated, where does returning the gun fall into the picture?
View Quote
It falls right into the "return the gun you didn't want or you are committing theft" picture.
Be aware that he'll likely leave you negative feedback...…..so start your own GB support issue now. Let GB know the gun isn't as described and how he's trying to hit you with excessive restocking fees.

I assume his GB listing mentioned restocking fees...….if it didn't, he can't honestly claim you owe that fee.

Further, I'll bet that his bubbfication voided any factory warranty. Claiming that he does that to all his high end guns is
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Further, I'll bet that his bubbfication voided any factory warranty.
View Quote
It did. I confirmed that with Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Send it back with detailed letter explaining your position.
Contact CC company and issue a back charge.
Notify GB.

Document EVERYTHING
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Post dealers name.  Esp. if it isn't resolved properly and promptly with a full refund.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top