Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2021 7:06:49 PM EDT
I'm looking to upgrade my Hogster 35 soon and I've been eyeing the Trail 2 LRF. Seems like it has all the features I'm looking for in a thermal. I've heard the first Trail had issues with drifting zero, does the Trail 2 have this or any other known problems? Is it overall a good scope?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to upgrade my Hogster 35 soon and I've been eyeing the Trail 2 LRF. Seems like it has all the features I'm looking for in a thermal. I've heard the first Trail had issues with drifting zero, does the Trail 2 have this or any other known problems? Is it overall a good scope?
View Quote

The biggest problem with the trail2 xp LRF is paying for it.
My hunting buddy has one. He updated the firmware a couple times in the last 6 months and the ap sucks for streaming but he uses it pretty well.

He's the shooter. I'm the shamed for forgetting the face of my father & not running good PCC/PCI before walking out on this one.

buddy doesn't have a scanner because he spent all his $$ on scopes so he was struggling to find the dog. Luckily he got onto her with that Pulsar right as she bolted.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

My trail 2 xq50lrf does not have issue holding zero
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
shit my bad. wrong video.

u2ube evidently pulled the one I meant to grab.That one was a clip from my gun and his gun for comparison on the same dog instead of just my perspective of it.

Being half her head came off they probably pulled it for gore like they nuked half of the hunting videos I've taken time to upload and make public.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

For every one guy who tried to blame his poor shooting performance on shifting zeros, there were hundreds (thousands?) of the rest of us stacking piles of bodies with the original Trails.  The Trail 2 does adopt the Thermion's magnesium instead of plastic.  There were some aspersions cast on that as being the issue with the original Trails.

Trail 2 XP50 LRF is GTG.  I will probably buy another one soon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For every one guy who tried to blame his poor shooting performance on shifting zeros, there were hundreds (thousands?) of the rest of us stacking piles of bodies with the original Trails.  
View Quote

I sent mine back twice, my friend sent his back. Lots of documented cases including overseas.

We can shoot and I have posted many videos to document the fact I can shoot. For the record... my longest night kill that I videoed and posted here and on Predator Masters was 350 yards... so my issues we not due to poor shooting.

I think a lot of folks just shot close up and never had to worry about a 2"-4" shift at 100 yards multiplies at distance.

The shifting zero was a fact... not the result of poor shooting. I had a few very honest and open discussions with the folk sin Texas as well as a representative from overseas... they all acknowledged the issue was real. The fact is the return rate was so high a technician was brought to the US to deal with the problem. When I started talking class-action I was given a full refund. How many guys do you know who got a full refund?

Now with that said... I really loved the features of my previous XP50... and if the Trail 3 proves to be solid, I will certainly get one.

ETA- I stacked a lot of pork and yotes with my XP50. I absolutely loved it and miss it. BUT... when you hunt in and around cattle, and hunt fields near houses, you need to be 100% sure of where your bullet will go. I've had as much as 5" unexplained zero shift... which would be perhaps 8"-10" on a 200 yard shot. I don't consider that safe, ethical, or responsible. YMMV. I kept and used the same target to document random zero confirmation attempts that revealed the random shifts. Those pics were posted here and on other forums.

What got me started looking into it was I was making kills but the hits were not where I was aiming... off by a few inches... but still a kill none the less. Perhaps you are one of the fortunate ones whose unit was trouble free... but to dismiss the fact there was a problem is incorrect. Like I said, some don't use their units as much and some shoot closer up than others.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 1:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For every one guy who tried to blame his poor shooting performance on shifting zeros, there were hundreds (thousands?) of the rest of us stacking piles of bodies with the original Trails.  The Trail 2 does adopt the Thermion's magnesium instead of plastic.  There were some aspersions cast on that as being the issue with the original Trails.

Trail 2 XP50 LRF is GTG.  I will probably buy another one soon.
View Quote

I documented the issue in a post a couple years ago. If you zero it at one temperature and shoot it in another the zero would drift.

The trail had serious flaws which is why the trail 2 came out only a couple years after the trail did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top