Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2023 8:14:04 AM EDT
I have 9mm, 124gr, Speer, Gold Dots for personal defense. I am looking for a less expensive bullet which has the same or similar feed and internal ballistic characteristics for practice.

I have a sufficient quantity of Win, once fired brass, and Silhouette powder. Still looking for primers but I'm thinking CCI 500's.

Would not need to be a HP, a TC would probably suffice as long as the ogive was sufficiently similar to approximate the feed geometry. Jacketed rather than cast lead.

The ones I am finding the ogive is either flatter or more rounded than the GD's.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
One of my favorite match/practice bullet in 124 jhp is the precision delta 124. Load to 1.10 and it is easy to get small groups.

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/9mm-124gr-jhp/
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never used them, but your post made me think of these.  They are pretty reasonable for a JHP.

RMR 124 GR HP
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never used them, but your post made me think of these.  They are pretty reasonable for a JHP.

RMR 124 GR HP
View Quote

I just got 1,000 of these in and intend to load some up to test next weekend.

ETA: no clue if they are close to Gold Dots
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#4]

As long as you've proved your gun reliably shoots GoldDots, I would recommend shooting cast & coated from

Blue Bullets

Missouri Bullet

SNS casting

etc.

No leading, no wax mess, accurate, affordable.

Accurate enough for 90+ yards

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy Gold Dots or HSTs from American Reloading? Not always in stock but feels like I see them monthly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.

@Colt653, what are the gold bullets? I looked at Blue Bullets, Missouri Bullet, and SNS casting but I didn't find them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Speer's own TMJ bullets are training analogs for the duty ammo. I know they make factory 124 TMJ loaded to the same or similar velocity, but not sure if they sell it as component projectiles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Would some thing like this Berry's Bullet work? Similar looking shape as the Gold Dot.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/bp-9mm-356-124gr-hhp
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been buying Sig/Sierra V-crown blems from American Reloading for self defense practice.  Pretty sure they were ~$0.08 each last time I bought some.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

@Colt653, what are the gold bullets? I looked at Blue Bullets, Missouri Bullet, and SNS casting but I didn't find them.
View Quote

@SteveOak

Bayou bullets

SNS and Missouri used to be Gold sometimes also
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Why is it necessary for the bullet to have an identical profile if it too feeds reliably and the point of impact is close enough to suit you? The gun itself won't care about any profile differences as long as it feeds properly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why is it necessary for the bullet to have an identical profile if it too feeds reliably and the point of impact is close enough to suit you? The gun itself won't care about any profile differences as long as it feeds properly.
View Quote

I am going the other way around.

In a 1911:

RN = feeds great
HP = tends to feed not as well as RN
TC = tends to feed not as well as HP
SWC = tends to feed not as well as HP
WC = good luck getting it to feed

I am looking for a bullet that will feed equal to or not as good as the Gold Dot. If I can get it to where it shoots those I can depend on it to shoot the Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In a 1911:

RN = feeds great

I am looking for a bullet that will feed equal to or not as good as the Gold Dot. If I can get it to where it shoots those I can depend on it to shoot the Gold Dot.
View Quote

So accuracy and consistency in shooting to a similar point of impact is of less importance than the generalities of how various nose designs may feed? In all pistols, there are a number of conditions that affect feeding. In 1911s, the feed lip profile of the magazines is a well know influence in feeding. Especially with 9mms. Dryflash is also making an excellent point above as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah look for something with similar POI/POI, not feeding characteristics.  A decent firearm should feed most stuff, anything that chokes- on anything decent, should not be used for carry.

And close enough is sometimes good enough.  Lot of LE agencies, for duty, use 147 gr (most common) or 124 gr (common) vs 115 gr (almost nobody).  

But guess what is used for practice most of the time?  115 gr FMJ, because it is cheapest.  Some using the 124 gr duty might use 124 gr FMJ, or some make sure to use whatever the duty ammo maker says is the practice analogue of their duty round, but for the most part 147 gr duty and 115 practice is pretty common.

If I was worried about it, and the user and weapon are capable enough, then I would do as I first mentioned- whatever has the same POI point as the duty stuff, in the gun you are going to carry.  Worrying about feed profiles will make that take a lot longer.  Don’t carry a gun that temperamental.  

Most likely- anything that feeds GD 124’s fine will likely feed most profiles/designs pretty well.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In a 1911:

RN = feeds great

View Quote

Are you carrying a 9mm 1911 with 124 gr Gold Dots for defensive use?  Or just giving an example?  Because using a GI 1911 as an example isn’t real comparative to a Glock/Sig/HK.  And carrying a 9mm 1911 is an unusual carry decision to say the least.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top