Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2021 2:35:40 PM EDT
How do you guys protect expensive collectables from getting dinged up while in storage?
Does using one of those silicone gun socks help or will they cause rusting issues?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some stuff (wood furniture) in gun socks.. FWIW, My safe looks like a game of Jenga.

In to see how others do it..
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
VCI Gun Socks

Example

Beretta GUN SOCK VCI

Don't let wet field conditions ruin your favorite shotgun! Unlike most gun socks which are made from silicon and therefore trap moisture, Beretta's gun sock VCI is made from soft spun yarns that repel water and keep moisture away. Plus, Beretta's Vapor Corrosion inhibitor creates a chemical barrier that stops any rust or corrosion and will never abrade wood or metal finishes—making the Beretta gun sock VCI perfect for transporting your firearm from the range or for long-term storage.

Features:

Rust preventing, non-abrading, innovative
Unlike silicone-based gun socks, the Beretta VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) gun sock does not trap moisture
VCI technology forms a protective chemical barrier that stops rust and corrosion from occurring.
This technology works so well, the sock is perfect for long-term storage
Made of soft spun yarns
Will not abrade wood or metal finishes
Length: 48 inches
Imported
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Blackhawk!(!) Padded scope protectors, with the tethered muzzle cover.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have issues, but I don't cram the safe to the gills either.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Everything but ars and hunting guns go in the beretta socks posted above.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everything but ars and hunting guns go in the beretta socks posted above.

View Quote

Here is a good place to buy them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Give up, man, I once brought myself to the brink of madness trying to guard an expensive Kimber of Oregon SuperAmerica from dings. If you shoot it, it's gonna get dings. Although I don't abuse my equipment, and sometimes regret selling that rifle, I've learned that it hurts me too much to put a ding in triple A walnut or a scuff on beautiful bluing or scrollwork.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Give up, man, I once brought myself to the brink of madness trying to guard an expensive Kimber of Oregon SuperAmerica from dings. If you shoot it, it's gonna get dings. Although I don't abuse my equipment, and sometimes regret selling that rifle, I've learned that it hurts me too much to put a ding in triple A walnut or a scuff on beautiful bluing or scrollwork.
View Quote

I don't mind a ding or 2 from field use on a nice gun, but when I0 ding them in the safe it pisses me off + a little extra corrosion protection never hurts. I ordered 5 of the Beretta gun sicks + a bunch of other brands off of Amazon, I'll see how they work out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't mind a ding or 2 from field use on a nice gun, but when I0 ding them in the safe it pisses me off + a little extra corrosion protection never hurts. I ordered 5 of the Beretta gun sicks + a bunch of other brands off of Amazon, I'll see how they work out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beretta also makes two piece VCI intended for over/under SG but they are long enough to work great on things like SBR's.

Link
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Shooting dings don't bother me but dings from the safe really bother me. I don't care unless it's something nicely blued or has beautiful wood on it so aside from the sock mentioned I'd dedicate a couple slots in the safe made to hold a rifle by itself. If you can do something like that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#11]
For cheap simple protection, I use gun & pistol socks.

For better protection like if I’m piling stuff on stuff (Uppers, lowers, anything that won’t sit upright) I use Bore Stores cases.
Much thicker like a wool shearling jacket. Not stretchy like the socks but they come in a lot of different sizes.

None of my ARs or AKs sit in cases but I do keep a few rifles with nice wood furniture like an old Winchester 94 & a Henry pump in socks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I use rifle socks and if its a spot where it might see a lot of in and outs of its neighbors , I take a towel and use it as a divider.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#13]
need more gun socks, they work well at preventing dings, and I have a few rifles that have picked up dings that really annoy me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
It really hurt when I got a safe ding on my Henry Big Boy so I put it in a gun sock.  My sister also put hers in a gun sock and we've not had any rust issues in 5+ years of using them.  They've worked great for protecting the "pretty" guns.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]
All of my rifles that I have in gun socks get a very liberal coat of Slip 2000 EWL before they go in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I use rifle rods. I find it much easier with rifle rods to prevent dings. You can set the spacing gun to gun yourelf, instead of having to use the preset spacing with the racks. I give the nicer guns more space. Also I bought adhesive backed felt to cover the bare metal slotted rails in the side walls of the safe (that the shelves mount to). Thise allows me to let guns touch the side walls of the safe. I also bought rubber trim to guard the inside lip of the door frame on the safe. I do this just in cae a gun hits the door frame as i am taking it out. I've always been reluctant to use any kind of sock for fear or trapping moisture.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Silicone is hell on some wood finishes.

I would buy cheap fleece blankets at walmart, and stitch your own big gun socks to wrap 'em in, and DONT chemically treat the cloth with anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top