Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2019 2:35:34 PM EDT
For over 20 years I've owned a very-nice Rossi 1892 carbine in .38/.357. Action was slicked up years ago by Steve's Guns, but the sights never quite agreed with me. I was impressed by the Burris FastFire III mount made by Turnbull (link here) as a clean, low-profile optic mounting solution and thought I would give it a try.

One issue. Older Rossi 1892s are not drilled and tapped and have an odd-sized rear sight dovetail that doesn't match anything else and can even vary rifle-to-rifle, it seems. The only reliable source for a dovetail adapter I knew of was Mr. Pearson here, who makes a very fine rail for these and other lever guns. I contacted him about making a Rossi dovetail adapter with 8-40 threads instead of the 10-32 he uses for his rail. He agreed and then it was just time to wait for parts to arrive.

Here's the Turnbull FastFire III mount with the supplied 8-40 screw:

Attachment Attached File

The Pearson dovetail adapter needed a little 'machining' to fit:

Attachment Attached File

Perfect fit into the Turnbull mount:

Attachment Attached File

The dovetail adapter was still just barely loose. Not quite snug enough in the dovetail for secure optic mounting. I cut a very small shim from a .005 feeler gauge and tapped them both into the empty dovetail, using also a few drops of Loctite-brand metal glue to keep things snug. Optic mount on:

Attachment Attached File

And she's done! Super clean, if you ask me.

Attachment Attached File

I realize of course this isn't going to be as robust as other mounting options, since the mount is affixed to the dovetail adapter just by a single small screw, but it maintains the clean lines of the rifle and still allows something of a cheek weld on the stock. The 3 MOA FastFire III offers a super-crisp dot and drilling clay pigeons at 50+ yards became super-easy with .38 Special +P LSWCHP loads.

Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Another look at the Turnbull mount and FastFire III:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Good job. I had one I took off my 92FS so I put it on a AK74. Decent little sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top