Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2019 7:54:23 PM EDT
The whole AC556K has me by the wallet.   I cannot spend the required amount on a FA one but I can Form 1 one and build it.   It started when APEX sent a mailer out with some AC556 parts and I picked up a front sight/gas block cap because its the first time I have seen one for sale in forever.   I then started throwing out my line fishing for a Mini.   This little gem popped into the picture and I will go ahead and get the Form 1 in process for when the .gov gets their shit together.

Goal except in Stainless Steel

Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]
That will be a nice package! Would be nice if Ruger would make them again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
So your going to build your own machine gun?    Are you an  SOT?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the same with a blued Mini (Form 1 SBR) - I really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So your going to build your own machine gun?    Are you an  SOT?
View Quote
Absolutely!  I’m going to file a form 1 for the SBR portion and for shits and giggles go ahead and file a form 1 to create a MG.  Maybe they will let it slip by.  

Only going after the SBR portion.  As stated above I cannot dish out the coin for the real deal Pre86 MG
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmm...   It just seems kinda wrong  to  "chop"  a  GB barrel  If your just wanting an SBR....
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmmmm...   It just seems kinda wrong  to  "chop"  a  GB barrel  If your just wanting an SBR....
View Quote
Possibly but I haven't missed the GB long barrel I cut down.  I've always wanted a AC556K and I chopped my GB - I enjoyed it and paid less than what non-GB's cost at that time - there's only two ways to scratch the AC556K itch ($200 SBR+ time, materials and effort) or $10K+ for the real deal.  If you have a GB in hand wouldn't sweat it to cut it, you will really like it when its done much better than the long GB barrel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've posted this before, but this thread is relevant. I think it's a great looking rifle! You will enjoy it.  Here's mine...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I had Tornado Technologies do my barrel cut and threading. They also engraved my required info. They did good work.

Tornado Technologies
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
OP - Think ahead if you want to use original flash hider and use the not as common 9/16x24 threads  or get one of the more modern Ruger (or other) Flash hiders in 1/2x28.

I did mine in 1/2 x 28 and found a Ruger FH that was close to the original (it has flats on it for a wrench where the original does not but otherwise close)

I went with 1/2x28 as I have a suppressor in that thread and wanted to use it without using an adapter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Instead of destroying an original GB barrel go here and buy one.  Before you mount it you can have it cut and treaded for what ever flash hider you want.
kwg

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/Factory-Barrel.php
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Instead of destroying an original GB barrel go here and buy one.  Before you mount it you can have it cut and treaded for what ever flash hider you want.
kwg

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/Factory-Barrel.php
View Quote
Considered it but honestly it took me a while to find a decent deal on a Mini that was in the price range it should be in I didn't figure I would bother.

Won an ebay auction for the stock that cost almost twice what I paid for the rifle.  

Form 1 was filed the other day.   So now we wait and we plot.  I did notice a couple of $80 barrels around and thought about going that route.   Depends on the cost to pull/replace
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top