Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2020 5:53:20 PM EDT
So we are waiting on parts for the mossberg 500, so lets look at this Mauser. I know nothing about mausers its  Czech 98 I believe it came fro century or classic don't remember who. It is missing a trigger guard, magazine spring, follower, rear sight, and safety that we know of. I don't know what else it is missing. Can you guys look at it and tell me what parts I need to be looking for and maybe some places to look? The SKS is cleaned up and ready for the range when it opens back up, parts ordered for the mossberg so we are going to clean this old girl up and try to get her range ready. Then it is full on M1 carbine build time and 03A3 rebarrel and fix the stock. The PPS52 has to wait until I can get back to work and some machines
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
well to me it seems your missing all the bolt parts and your bolt release. You didn't really show the whole rifle so I don't know what else
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well to me it seems your missing all the bolt parts and your bolt release. You didn't really show the whole rifle so I don't know what else
View Quote

@Meatball72
bolt is in top right photo

@sigpros - check Liberty Tree for parts

Could make for a cool build if you left the factory rear-sight off (already missing) & instead installed either a peep sight there or a scope base for a long eye relief scope = make it into a Scout type gun (Jeff Cooper spec. Scout)
The good thing is most 98 parts are both cheap and generic so it should not be a huge outlay to fix it up

Hope the stock is ok

Maybe if the budget allows, get one of the Gew98 WW1 repro Trench magazines - there are more modern AI conversions out too for the 98 series
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw the bolt it just looked like its a stripped bolt is what I meant
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Get us some more pics. Whole rifle if possible. I love saving these but, they are rarely worth the investment. Here is a rough list. Hope it helps.

Bolt:
-Firing pin
-Cocking piece
-Safety
-Shroud w/lock plunger
-Mainspring

Bottom Metal:
-Trigger guard
-Floorplate
-Follower
-Magazine springs
-Front and Rear screws
-Lock screws

Sights
-Rear sight leaf
-Rear sight slider
-Rear sight spring
-There is a screw missing in the base

Receiver
-Ejector box
-Ejector box screw

Numrich is closed in NY for covid but, you should be able to pull up a schematic there and cross reference part numbers.
*If you can get a stamped Winter trigger guard, these came with integral mag floorplates like an '03A3. Might have even been OEM on that rifle since it had the turned down bolt and laminated stock
**Don't forget cleaning rod(Measure first to get the right length for the stock variant you have), front sight hood, stripper clips, and sling while you are kitting it out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys I will get some better pics tomorrow, I have to move the truck to get to the rifle. I know it will cost more than the rifle is worth but it will be fun for us to search forums and sites looking for parts. And since he is 12 getting packages in the mail is always fun. My boy is a big history nerd and is in love with surplus firearms. He grabs something old out of the safe every time we go shooting.  And again thanks for the help because we know nothing about Mausers like what parts we can swap between types etc. And it helps teach him that hey when I mow the yard dad gets me some gun parts. I just regret not buying this stuff 20 years ago when it was cheap. And it saves some history for my grand kids down the road.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#7]
What marking is on the receiver ring and the side rail?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Nothing on the ring it is ground off. Which I believe is pretty common with the Czech Mauser?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure if it's common or not. I'm not too familiar with the Czech post war manufactured K98's.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting stacking swivel addition to the front band. I think somebody in the Middle East did that with enfields as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Well fellas we did the clean up today and the barrel is toast. So now not sure what to do. Try and save the old girl or put a barrel on it and make a hunting rifle out of it for him. Might be a cool thing to take an elk sometime with the rifle him and dad built. So  guess trying to see if any one has any advice for us
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Rebarrel to .308, 3-D print an SR-25 mag adapter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Sporterizing (properly) will cost as much or more than restoring it. Either way is a great learning experience.
As far as rebarrelling, since it was originally in 8x57 or 7x57 (depending on whether it was an export model or not), the magazine box is already set up for a _x57 cartridge. While Mausers are commonly re-barrelled to every imaginable cartridge (and some that have no business in the action), the 7x57 is a truly wonderful cartridge, and it will feed slicker than anything else you convert it to.
If you decide to sporterize, I have a nice semi-inlet Fajen stock; just have to confirm that screw spacing is the same. It's yours for the cost of shipping. Consider it an investment in a young boy's firearms education.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you say toast, like no rifling?  Do a bullet test on muzzle before you junk it...
View Quote

This, please define "toast".  I have a few "sewer pipes" that still shoot straight.  Also, a good stroking with JB bore paste can do wonders for dark bores.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
PigBat thanks I’ll get in touch with you if that’s the way we go.

Here are a couple pics. Not sure if this is the correct ammo for the rifle. It is some my son has in his collection. Maybe I need to order some 8mm brushes and just go to town on the thing? Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
It is really pitted and nasty inside. I can’t tell if there is a spot where the rifling is gone about 2.5” down from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#18]
The round you have pictured is a British 303 but the box is WWII vintage German 8x57. I would expect the muzzle to swallow a 303 as that is .311 and 8x57 would be .323, try the muzzle test again with a correct 8mm projectile.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm more concerned w/ the 10 round Glock magazine in Missouri.  Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep you guys are right. Grabbed the wrong one out of the cabinet. He has his WWII stuff in a glass curio cabinet and I grabbed the 303 round here is a better pic. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Backbencher just some mags I was thinking about selling. I had a couple 10 rounders from the IDPA days
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#24]
9 times out of 10, when I read a bore is toast it isnt. People see some dirt and grime in there and declare it a sewer pipe all the time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish I could get a pic of the inside it’s rusted and pitted pretty bad. I will order some brushes this week and will scrub the heck out of it. I need to get the parts scrounged up to see if it will shoot
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Your plan it build a hunting rifle.  Correct?

Not a restoration to military condition?  

It sounds like you have a stock on the way and I have all of the other parts you will need.  I'll trade  you what you need for the bolt body in your picture.  
If you son really like opening packages, I can send them in several boxes.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#27]
#UtahShotgunner
sent you a pm we can work out a trade I am sure
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top