Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2018 6:52:32 PM EDT
Since 80% lowers are blank with no serial number....

how would I go about acquiring a serial number to put on the Form to SBR the 80% lower?

I have an 80% lower that I want to use to make a Colt SMG 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a serial number: 123456

Or make up your own.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You do not "acquire a serial number". You make one up and engrave it on the receiver. Almost any number/letter combo is fine.

Remember you are the manufacturer. What if your serial number was already used by Colt, S+W or any other manufacture? It does not matter.

Just remember if you make more than one. Make sure the model number / serial numbers you use keep all the ones YOU make unique.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do not "acquire a serial number". You make one up and engrave it on the receiver. Almost any number/letter combo is fine.

Remember you are the manufacturer. What if your serial number was already used by Colt, S+W or any other manufacture? It does not matter.

Just remember if you make more than one. Make sure the model number / serial numbers you use keep all the ones YOU make unique.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
The instructions on the ATF Form 1 are demonstrative.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download

See "Description of Firearm and Markings."

27 CFR 479.102 provides the requirements for "markings."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.102

Just for the record, as you read the Form and the  regulation, you are the "maker," not the manufacturer.  Look at the title of the Form 1.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an 80% engraved with my initials and birthdate as a serial number. Had it engraved before I milled it out so I could ship it to an engraver that didn’t have an FFL. You can put whatever you want just fill out the Form 1 with the serial number you decide on. Don’t forget to get your trust/name engraved at the same time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I avoid the use of "0" and "O" in any markings for obvious reasons.

That's just me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had an 80% engraved with my initials and birthdate as a serial number. Had it engraved before I milled it out so I could ship it to an engraver that didn’t have an FFL. You can put whatever you want just fill out the Form 1 with the serial number you decide on. Don’t forget to get your trust/name engraved at the same time.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/302141/F8127C33-C509-480F-8C25-ADB473A1388A_jpeg-731634.JPG
View Quote
That answer is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I appreciate you posting that. I was considering birthday or anniversary as a serial number.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I have a few SBR’s that I have stamped and assembled, but never with an 80%. This place is a wealth of information.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/302141/F8127C33-C509-480F-8C25-ADB473A1388A_jpeg-731634.JPG
View Quote
Very Nice.
Who did the engraving and how much$ $$$?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Very Nice.
Who did the engraving and how much$ $$$?
View Quote
Vader Tactical. Quick turnaround and sent a scketch to make sure I liked how it looked before doing the work. He doesn’t have an FFL so has to be engraved before finishing the lower. I think it was like $150, but I had two lowers engraved and both sides of the magwell for each. I did one for my daughter too that had her birthday and initials for serial number and the model number was my initials and my wife’s initials “-01”.  I didn’t SBR that one.  The anodizing was done by New Frontier Armory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top