Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2018 12:41:42 PM EDT
This has been plaguing me for a while, finally fixed it.. maybe this will help someone else.

I'd been using the primer pocket uniformer on my case prep station, but still had an occasional primer that didn't seat flush (or a little under).  I went looking for a new uniformer and saw that a few companies make some that are adjustable (RCBS, K&M, Hornady at least), so I got the K&M.. It seemed to miss a few too before I adjusted it.  Found a piece of paper that was ~2thou and poked a hole in it.  Loosened the retainer screw a little and pulled the cutter head out a bit.  Stuck the paper/hole over the cutter head and used a previously uniformed case to set the depth.  So the paper added about 2 thou to what it was.  Tightened the set screw (removed the paper), and all is well in the world.  Loaded about 50 with no high primers.

I use a hand primer so I can feel when they are bottoming out....
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nicely done and well thought out.

As a career machinist, tool maker and related trades it's refreshing to see people taking a true technical approach to reloading.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I got some Winchester 45 acp that some of the lot had shallow pockets
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have some brass whose case head is a little concave.  It's not a lot, probably just a few thou but you can easily see the cupping with your eye.  Cupped cases are the bane of most uniformers because the uniformer is stopped by the high outer edge before the cutter reaches the full depth of the primer pocket.

The primer seaters don't index off the high edge, so that's not a problem.  The case rides on the bolt face on those same high spots, so there shouldn't be a safety problem.

Still, I don't like cupped cases.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#4]
My issue is with the primer sticking up even 1 thou above flush, it screws up my base-ogive measurement..
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent concept for fine tuning the adjustment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top