Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2018 6:04:45 PM EDT
So I have a RCBS hand primer press. Considering adding a second for Small Rifle Primers. Thoughts or suggestions on which to buy. The RCBS is decent for my low quantity reloading althought I am never real sure I am applying the same pressure so seating depth may not be as consistent as it should be. Not opposed to another of the same but open to others as well such as Forster Bench Primer Press. Quantity never exceeds 100 in a sitting so speed isnt a consideration. Easy and consistency is primary.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I used the lee hand primers went through 4 of them and finally broken down and purchased a rcbs bench primer. ill never go back. Easy to use and fast
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy another of what you have.

There is a lot to be said for proven quality and already knowing exactly how to use a tool.  There could be logistics issues around having two different tools but if the tool is proven reliable, repairs and redundancy are just not a problem.

If you were after a nice tool for low volume reloading, consider a Sinclair hand priming tool.  It is built like a tank and is super smooth (a joy) to use.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I love this little guy, if it broke I'd buy another.

Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Is that Hornaday?

The RCBS that I use:
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
LEE
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I have a RCBS hand primer press. Considering adding a second for Small Rifle Primers. Thoughts or suggestions on which to buy. The RCBS is decent for my low quantity reloading althought I am never real sure I am applying the same pressure so seating depth may not be as consistent as it should be. Not opposed to another of the same but open to others as well such as Forster Bench Primer Press. Quantity never exceeds 100 in a sitting so speed isnt a consideration. Easy and consistency is primary.
View Quote

There’s a mod for the RCBS hand priming tool (the one that takes standard shell holders) that lets you set seating depth.  It is an absolute adjustment, and doesn’t depend on which primer you’re using.  I’ve done that mod to my own RCBS tool, and it works.  Every time.

Dryflash3 posted it in reference to using the RCBS tool for priming Berdan cases, but the depth stop part of the mod works for any primer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
As for strips, since RCBS has moved away from the APS system and not longer sells primers already in the strips, you can pick up new empty strips on Ebay on the way, way cheap side now.
View Quote
You can still buy CCI primer in the APS strips.  Graf's has them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a "Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Perfect Seat Hand Primer Seating Tool".  It comes with everything you need - large and small primer plungers, shell holders, manual, primer tray...  I works great.  It is my primary method of priming.  I have "on press" capabilities as a backup but my hand primer is my goto device for priming.  It has adjustable primer seating depth capabilities...

Primers go directly from their manufacturers container to the tray for the hand primer.  The tray with "right" primers that are upside down just like a primer flipping tray...

Available at Midway, Amazon, Grafs, and other fine retailers...  

Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using the Lyman Ram Prime die.  When used on my inexpensive Lee C press, there's a bit of "feel" to the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top