Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2020 1:28:21 AM EDT
I have a Remington 870 SBS project and I just got my approval. My LGS checked up on heating the rear sight off of the barrel and from what he read, it was not recommended. Naturally I went to the EE section to look for a plain topped barrel but don't see any currently available. I can order a new one through the LGS, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money on it if I don't have to.

So my next option is to have the rear sight milled off. Any machinists in the house (or anyone that's had this done) that could give me a ball park price range?

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#1]
CDNN had a bunch a while back. Haven’t looked lately.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I see CDNN has a few, but for now, if I can toss $20~ into the hat of a machine shop, I'd rather do that. My LGS found one for sale and said my cost could be around $90, so I'll go that route if no one's willing to lop off the rear sight base.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By battleshipgrey:
I see CDNN has a few, but for now, if I can toss $20~ into the hat of a machine shop, I'd rather do that. My LGS found one for sale and said my cost could be around $90, so I'll go that route if no one's willing to lop off the rear sight base.
View Quote

I doubt that a GOOD machinist would do just the setup required for $20.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bog_Irish:

I doubt that a GOOD machinist would do just the setup required for $20.  Just saying.
View Quote

Yep, unless the machine shop or gunsmith owes you a favor the $90 LGS barrel is a good deal.

You occasionally find 870 barrel on the EE, Ebay or similar, for under $100, but they don't last long.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I was just throwing out an example since I honestly didn't know what they'd charge. I've been busy between work and chores so I haven't had a chance to call any shops.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
What barrel length are you going with? I've got a 12.5" with no sights I would trade if my engraving wasn't on it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 6:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: battleshipgrey] [#7]
Sorry for my late reply Nico. I'm going to go with a 12.5" cut.

Thanks for the thought, but I marked up the rear sight base a bit by trying to encourage it to come off while I heated it with an LP torch. Which wasn't anywhere near hot enough. So a trade would leave you in the same spot I'm in now.

I've still been checking the shotgun parts in the EE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top