Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2018 4:20:51 PM EDT
I need some extra cash for a project. The Model 12 belonged to my Father, it's been languishing in the back of my safe since he passed 25 years ago. I don't know if it was reblued, there's some scarring on the receiver where the barrel meets up. Serial lookup says it was made in 1922. 12 gauge, 30", full choke.

The S&W is something I found in a pawnshop around 30 years ago, it's been gathering dust since then. It's 38 special, missing the lanyard ring and I doubt those are the original grips, but otherwise in good condition.

What's a good asking price for these guns?

Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Winchester model 12 prices seem to vary by regional supply and demand.  Anywhere from $250 - $500 for basic models unaltered.  Yours looks nice. although looks like oil soaked wood near the receiver - Happens over nearly 100 years of ownership - oiled in action well put away standing up, repeat.

The Smith & Wesson looks nice, except someone altered the grips and removed the ring - otherwise nice gun, probably $250-$400 depending on local markets.

just my guesses based on prices I see.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Screws are a little buggered up, but very interesting is the S on the side.  That indicates it has the added internal safety part to help prevent a discharge if the pistol is dropped and lands on the hammer.  I have never seen one so marked.  Grips are getting hard to find, but not impossible.  Lanyard rings and the pin can be found after a bit of looking, but are not impossible.  I agree with the value as mentioned above.  The added value with original grips and lanyard ring would be about equal to the cost of those parts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, that's about what I was thinking too. I'm seeing some people asking stupid prices for old Winchester model 12 shotguns, I didn't know if that's only for special versions or ones that are still new or like new. I can't imagine paying $2k for a model 12, but if some people are paying it then I might as well get it, otherwise someone will just buy it from me and immediately resell it.

Also the S&W is marked G.H.D on the top strap, which from what I understand is the ordnance acceptance mark from 42 to 43.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys, that's about what I was thinking too. I'm seeing some people asking stupid prices for old Winchester model 12 shotguns, I didn't know if that's only for special versions or ones that are still new or like new. I can't imagine paying $2k for a model 12, but if some people are paying it then I might as well get it, otherwise someone will just buy it from me and immediately resell it.

Also the S&W is marked G.H.D on the top strap, which from what I understand is the ordnance acceptance mark from 42 to 43.
View Quote
No US Property mark on the top in front of the rear sight?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly. I am seeing $600 to $700.  $350 for the Smith Victory  $250 to $350 for the Winchester Model 12.  A store you will get much less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top