Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 7:58:15 PM EDT
I have some extra 147 grn M80 pulls.  I want to load up some supersonic loads for .300 blk.  I went to Hogdons website.  I was surprised at the data.  CFE 20.5 grn gives 1949 fps with 33,500 psi.  H110 17.2 grn gives 1971 fps with a 52.800 psi.  The other powders range in between.  I have all the different powders.  What should I be looking to use?  The lower psi to reduce wear and tear?  Or high psi because?  Obviously I should check for accuracy and function but after that what do I want?  These rounds will be for shtf if needed so I want them hot.  I have plenty of subs loaded.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Different powders will have different pressure curves. CFE BLK is a bit slower than H110. It should (should) have a lower peak pressure given all the same variables.

If you have both, it would not be unheard of to try both powders, but I am guessing the 147g bullets are not match, so accuracy is going to be limited by the bullet.

If I was you, I would look at whatever powder I had the most on hand for and go with that. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Good evening chucku, all.

Looked over my notes and saw that Accurate LT-32 provided the best accuracy with M80 pulls, 19gr was golden in several 16" carbines.

IMR-4227 also worked very well under M80s as well at 17.5gr.

Haven't played with M80s in 300BLK since 2015 and CFE BLK wasn't known to me at that time.

Hodgdon used a 150gr InterBond pointed soft point bullet in Hornady brass to get their data and CFE BLK admittedly looks wonky and Hodgdon data has been to be a bit wonky

with other cartridges as well.

If try CFE BLK let as know the results.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Hodgdon has a "C" for CFE BLK . This compressed powder  load has run out of room in the case for more powder. This is why the pressure is low. Low pressures  with some powders ( spherical/ball) is not good, at times.  

IMR 4227 would be my choice for 140 gr bullets and heavier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top