Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2021 11:51:16 PM EDT
Hey all,
I have orders to be stationed overseas in the coming months and need a way to preserve my firearms for a minimum of two years. Obviously theres Cosmoline and packing grease. What would anyone here’s recommendation be?
I figure as this is the perfect place as most of this group would have some experience at removing such preserving agents from all sorts of materials and different metals.

Thank you for your time,
-Jono
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have family or friends that are into firearms and would be willing to do "gun sitting" ?
If all of your guns are detail cleaned and stored with temperature and humidity control I don't think that 2 years will do much damage.
Almost everyone with a large collection hits the point where some guns sit for a year or longer before they see some action and cleaning - not much different.
I have a bunch of C&Rs - all of them are shooters and some of them came packed in cosmoline - I would never voluntarily put this stuff on any of my guns :-)

Link Posted: 11/1/2021 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#2]
How are they being stored?

If they're in a safe inside a climate controlled building I'd just give them a light coat of your favorite oil inside and out and keep dry with your favorite dehumidification method. They'll be fine.

Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If they're stored indoors, and not in a humid, nasty basement, very little 'preservation' is necessary.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Just clean and oil as normal, with the exception being leave a light film of oil in the bore.  Good to go.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Spray on cosmoline
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Zerust bags. Stick them in it and forget about them for a couple of years.

FWIW, you can buy them directly from Zerust and save a considerable amount of money. I got them the next day........talk about fast shipping.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
However you prep them wear gloves, just one fingerprint will be a nice round rust spot when you get home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top