Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 10:42:18 AM EDT
I have not purchased much in the way of reloading components in the last few years,
the last time I bought primers, they ran about $32-34/1000 and powder was around $18-20/lb.

Anyone here recall what prices were like last year? or before the current craziness?

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Those prices look right to me.  I mostly reload pistol calibers.  9mm plated bullets were around $80/1,000, jacketed were slightly higher.  In .45, I mostly shoot lead LSWC.  My club made a group buy several years ago and they were under $60/1,000.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks,
It's interesting that prices didn't change much over the years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Looked at a box of .277 cal 130g GameKing's I bought maybe 35 years ago.  $9.45.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
1k lrp cost me 24.99 at sportsman's warehouse.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
last I bought primers was 2019 brownells had CCI on sale at the same time they were having a rebate

My pops and I each got the household limit and it came out to something like $0.023 per after the rebate
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
We will never see those prices again retail.

At this point just worry about replacement cost and availability.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven’t bought anything but powder and bullets in many years. I still have primers that cost $12.50 and $15 /K. I used to buy a few thousand every time I went to the LGS even I just went to look for something. Never knowing we would be where we are today.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Black Friday 2019 PV had Remington SPP for $19.99 and most here will remember the $17.00 S&B primers from around the 2016 timeframe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought some primers about this time last year.  Its wasnt crazy yet, think I paid $29.99 per 1k CCI SPM at my local shop.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought small pistol primers today for $120 per K.  The price on the box was $13.45.  I busted the guys balls about it.  He said he bought them around 2000 ish.  Hes dying of cancer and selling everything.  Top dollar. I just started reloading after the election.  Its been madness.  Im just trying to keep my .300 blk addiction going.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
1k lrp cost me 24.99 at sportsman's warehouse.
View Quote
I just paid nearly $80 for a box of primers once shipping and hazmat are taken into account
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I have pretty much given up trying to find primers. It sucks and I figure it isnt going to get better anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Spent all day looking for them, none to be found.  I am loading up on powder just in case a trade can be made, that seems easy and cheap for me at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Pre Covid I was paying about $25-32 for 1k primers depending on which shop had them.

Powder was about $18.50-23.00 for Titegroup and CFEPistol.

If you got them online and timed it with a free hazmat as well as some discount coded you could get them a good amount cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just paid nearly $80 for a box of primers once shipping and hazmat are taken into account
View Quote

We all consider that crazy yet you’re still better than buying factory ammo.

My reloads

Cases- free range pick up.
Primer- .08 at your price above.
Bullet- .082 (current pricing)
Powder- .018 (current price of powder)
Today per round $0.18

I’ll take that over $600+/thousand.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, I agree even at the inflated prices for components it’s still cheaper than buying a finished cartridge but still it’s finding those components especially primers that hurts right now because I can’t find any
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, I agree even at the inflated prices for components it’s still cheaper than buying a finished cartridge but still it’s finding those components especially primers that hurts right now because I can’t find any
View Quote

I’m fortunate to drive around for work and have the ability to stop by a few shops each week. I haven’t found much recently for primers but I actually enjoy the hunt.

In the early stages of Covid before things really got crazy I was finding 1-3k per week. I added a few to my bench but gave away at least 10 to friends and local shooters who were hurting. I’m happy to help people and it’s good to see them still shooting when so many others are not.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you want to move close to me and share with a friend :-)

In all seriousness, I went to five different places yesterday and had zero luck. The key is being retired or working second shift. All the people who get the primers stand out in front of the stores at eight in the morning stand in line waiting for them to open. Unfortunately I can’t do that
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Honestly, I started this thread because I simply did not have a frame of reference for the current prices I'm seeing.

Turns out, prices in 2019 were comparable to what I paid in previous years.

What I'm seeing locally are prices that are about double from pre-covid. (example: CCI #34 primers for $74/1000)

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#23]
IIRC last I bought primers, #41 and BR2 were about $50, while normal ones like #400 and WLR cost $30. Even with cabelas markup, FGMM primer were $55 or 57 retail.

A jug of TAC was about $175, jug of ARCOMP like $210-220. A lot of powders were $28-32/lb retail.

Hornady 55gr were 8cpr or so when buying a case. 150gr FMJ were like 27cpr in smaller boxes, but many less-popular items like 165gr Speer soft points were 21cpr.

I have more recently got Berry's 55gr for 10 or 11cpr. They seem to be higher quality.

Side note: if there's a next time, I'm getting all SP. After seeing tests, especially the hornady 55gr SP loaded light, and how it performed, I'm not wasting my time loading FMJs when I could be loading equally useless on hard target but much better on soft target bullets. Accuracy is equal or better than fmj. There's so many better bullets out there that can be had for the same price or even cheaper than FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We all consider that crazy yet you're still better than buying factory ammo.

My reloads

Cases- free range pick up.
Primer- .08 at your price above.
Bullet- .082 (current pricing)
Powder- .018 (current price of powder)
Today per round $0.18

I'll take that over $600+/thousand.
View Quote
Completely agreed!  I'm just a guy trying to get started in reloading so it is a difficult time - I'm doing this mainly for as a new hobby/skill, but the price savings is another big bonus.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Completely agreed!  I'm just a guy trying to get started in reloading so it is a difficult time - I'm doing this mainly for as a new hobby/skill, but the price savings is another big bonus.
View Quote

You shoot more, and keep buying tools and new components to try. First step to reloading is forwarding your paychecks to midwayusa.

All things considered, during salad days, you didn't save any money loading bulk without a serious high dollar progressive setup.

Unless you hate reloading and do it solely for cost. Those of us that like it always buy more and more stuff to try. Especially if you passed on OT to stay at home and load.

The real benefit is quality. If you put in even half an ass of effort, you'll have better results than anything off the shelf. It really pays for itself with match and exotic ammo. If all you care about is banging steel or hitting a deer at 300yds, you're generally not going to realize your efforts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The real bonus of reloading for me is finding the sweet spot for your particular rifle/pistol and the ability to make really accurate loads.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I just have to add that I saw someone post in the for sale section of this website here small rifle primers a dollar per primer he wants  $1000 for a brick .  Really?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You shoot more, and keep buying tools and new components to try. First step to reloading is forwarding your paychecks to midwayusa.

All things considered, during salad days, you didn't save any money loading bulk without a serious high dollar progressive setup.

Unless you hate reloading and do it solely for cost. Those of us that like it always buy more and more stuff to try. Especially if you passed on OT to stay at home and load.

The real benefit is quality. If you put in even half an ass of effort, you'll have better results than anything off the shelf. It really pays for itself with match and exotic ammo. If all you care about is banging steel or hitting a deer at 300yds, you're generally not going to realize your efforts.
View Quote
Thanks, all very good points, and quality/making an accurate load is another reason I've jumped into this.  

I'm slowly building my setup (kind of an uphill battle at this point).  I'm lucky to have a brother who gave me his close to new Hornady LNL AP for free (he got frustrated with the priming setup and bought a Dillon) and I've got my workbench mount set up with the necessary tools/dies/etc.  I've got a brick of LRP, a brick of SPP, and 2 bricks of SRP (one of them is still in the mail).  I've also amassed a set of brass for what I want to reload and have powder for the .308/.223, but still need to find some for 9mm.  Also have a tumbler for the brass.  I've got some projectiles, but need to build that inventory there too.

Basically, I'm a long way from where most are here, but excited to get started!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just have to add that I saw someone post in the for sale section of this website here small rifle primers a dollar per primer he wants  $1000 for a brick .  Really?
View Quote

While that’s totally outrageous more could follow and there might even be a buyer. Guess it’s a waiting game on just how bad things will get. I don’t think this is the time to start reloading, I guess if there’s no ammunition on the shelves you have to do anything you can to have ammo. I know people that have a box or two for a gun and that’s it. Bad times ahead.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Trying to understand the point of this and similar threads.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks, all very good points, and quality/making an accurate load is another reason I've jumped into this.  

I'm slowly building my setup (kind of an uphill battle at this point).  I'm lucky to have a brother who gave me his close to new Hornady LNL AP for free (he got frustrated with the priming setup and bought a Dillon) and I've got my workbench mount set up with the necessary tools/dies/etc.  I've got a brick of LRP, a brick of SPP, and 2 bricks of SRP (one of them is still in the mail).  I've also amassed a set of brass for what I want to reload and have powder for the .308/.223, but still need to find some for 9mm.  Also have a tumbler for the brass.  I've got some projectiles, but need to build that inventory there too.

Basically, I'm a long way from where most are here, but excited to get started!
View Quote

The wife will likely appreciate if you hand-prime, off press. Go relax on the couch with her.

Remember, the tumbler is an outside/garage toy. You can also start tumbling now while you wait on other components/tools. Just buy stock in nu-finish while you're ahead. I end up using the better part of a bottle in each fill of media (not per batch I tumble, but the media itself). Next fill, I plan to take some loaded rounds that need a final cleaning and just dump the bottle in. If you put empties in, with a bunch of polish, you'll end up with a bunch of cases packed with gobs of media+polish. Also keep some 9 or 45 cases handy, to fill space. Easy to empty out. If the tumbler isn't full, it doesn't work very well. I think the brass rubbing on itself does more than the corncob. Walnut leaves too rough a finish for my taste. I'd guess I can tumble 5k .223 cases for 3 hours on a fill of media, before it's too nasty.

You can cleanup the super nasty range brass by washing/soaking in a bucket of vinegar. Stir with a stick, be aggressive. Rinse the cases with tap water and oven-dry on a cookie sheet at 225*. Then tumble.

Invest in a collet puller now. You're going to over-load a lot of test rounds and need to pull them down. You're going to hate hammer pulling, and so will the woman. Hammer pulling is also an outside activity.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#33]
About $10/lb for powder....

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I still have a bunch of the wolf primers. They have been very good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black Friday 2019 PV had Remington SPP for $19.99 and most here will remember the $17.00 S&B primers from around the 2016 timeframe.

I still have a bunch of the wolf primers. They have been very good.

Me to  still have wolf primers
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a nice supply of wolf kvm223 primers (which I've always thought were some of the best) left over from wideners (pre-fire and pre-sale) right after I bought my 1050 - $14.50/k (November 2012). Same P. O. Also had some jugs of cfe223 for $129/8lb. Pretty sure they had a free hazmat or shipping with a certain quantity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top