Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2018 9:13:43 PM EDT
Not too sure how it happened, I certainly haven’t done any sort of abuse to this knife, but the very top of my 940-1 seemed to have chipped off.

So, I took it into work and put the tip of my blade under a 350x microscope, and sure enough it looks like a tiny chip out of the point of the knife.

Now, I don’t really care, the chip is so small that It will eventually sharpen out from my regular sharpening, but what has me more concerned is the possibility of a more extreme one happening under normal use.

Attachment Attached File

Sorry for the shitty picture quality, it was a bitch to get the microscope focused, and to get my iPhone to focus on that image.

ETA: this blade is made with S90V steel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a lot of debate over this.  I think there are many factors, but thin edges with CPM steels along with being hardened too hard (I think) can lead to chipping.  I can't say it's simply because their CPM steels as I have both an S30V and S35VN bushcraft blades that I've chopped and battened with, and no issues of chipping.  I did convex the edge of my S30V blade (both are from Ed Martin), so it's got a very robust edge while still getting razor sharp.

Chipping sucks though and I've had it happen on various blades over the years...both factory and custom.  The worst was a custom D2 from Charles May.  I really like that knife but it chipped horribly with even light use.

You may just need to increase the edge angle a little when you re-sharpen it.  I also advise contacting Benchmade and letting them know when and where you bought it as they may have just had a bad batch or issue with heat-treatment.  I know it sucks for the customer to be part of the QA/QC process, but quality manufacturers do appreciate feedback and hear about issues.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a lot of debate over this.  I think there are many factors, but thin edges with CPM steels along with being hardened too hard (I think) can lead to chipping.  I can't say it's simply because their CPM steels as I have both an S30V and S35VN bushcraft blades that I've chopped and battened with, and no issues of chipping.  I did convex the edge of my S30V blade (both are from Ed Martin), so it's got a very robust edge while still getting razor sharp.

Chipping sucks though and I've had it happen on various blades over the years...both factory and custom.  The worst was a custom D2 from Charles May.  I really like that knife but it chipped horribly with even light use.

You may just need to increase the edge angle a little when you re-sharpen it.  I also advise contacting Benchmade and letting them know when and where you bought it as they may have just had a bad batch or issue with heat-treatment.  I know it sucks for the customer to be part of the QA/QC process, but quality manufacturers do appreciate feedback and hear about issues.

ROCK6
View Quote
Ok, thanks, I’ll give them a call/email tomorrow. Kinda sucks because I just got this knife two weeks ago.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top