Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2020 9:54:52 PM EDT
also where to get the basket.  Too many links, videos, etc now to research this stuff.  I have 400 lbs of wheel weight ingots in process of casting them to use them up.

Link on where to buy as well.  I stopped by my local Harbor Freight and they didn't have any powder coating in stock.

I bought a toaster oven on sale for $15 to be dedicated to this new venture

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
400 lbs someone going to be some major casting ... nice
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Smokes powder from that guy over at Castbooliits.com. Eastwoods Ford blue is another good one. For the containers to shake in i just got some storage containers from Walmart with the correct (5)? Number in the recycing symbol. Smokes also slls the black airsoft pellets that help the process along.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive heard the Harbor Freight powder is not very good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for "SMOKES"

and I use a semi disposable tupperwear bin with a triangle and #5 posted on the bottom.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Eastwood's Ford Light Blue powdercoat works great. Don't waste your money on Harbor Freight garbage powdercoat. The FLB was like $14 shipped off Ebay.

I just PC'd my first batch ever the other day using the Ford Light Blue. They came out looking like I've been doing it for 20 years. Make sure you know the temp settings on your toaster oven. My Wally World temp settings were slightly high on my first batch, and left some little silver and blue blobs where there use to be bullets lol. 400 degrees definitely was not 400 degrees. I set it at 250 (or whatever that equaled), and cooked for 20 minutes after the powder started to melt.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#8]
45ACP BULLETS

Thanks, I'll either get the stuff from Smokes or the Ford Light Blue from eBay

I do have a RCBS lube/sizer, the problem is using the wheelweight allow results in the overall diameter for say 45ACP to be around .454 or even .455 and it sizes from pushing down from the top, which means the excess lead flows upward making the projectile sort of a like a wadcutter when it should be round and so the round doesn't chamber.

So I bought a Lee sizer, the thing with red contraption which sizes by pushing the bullet up nose first so the lead flows downward, coated with Liquid Alox to lube them before sizing.  Results look good:

Attachment Attached File

I could coat these again with Liquid Alox and be done with it, the ones in the picture I'll have to.  But powder coating looks fun and less messy and I have a lot more to do.  This is what I cast so far, 1/2 a Tidy Cat bucket so far.  Have enough lead to do two more full buckets

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]
If you powder coat first, you don’t need any lube to run the bullets through the lee sizer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Avoid harbor freight powder.  I use powderbythepound, any quality powder should be ok.  

Size only after coating, not before.  Coat as soon as possible after casting as the coat will stick better.  I do same or next day coating and never have problems.  I use unique lube and just roll the bullets around in an old towel after sizing to clean them.

I use a basket I made from hardware cloth, fold to max size to fit in your oven and use safety wire to sew it together.  Gets the most bullets in each baking period.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you powder coat first, you don't need any lube to run the bullets through the lee sizer.
View Quote

This.

I was referring to the ones I already sized using Liquid Alox, those I'll have to lube again vs powder coating.

The unsized bullets I'll powder coat then size, no Alox involved
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
POWDER ORDER

Quoted:

Eastwood's Ford Light Blue powdercoat works great. Don't waste your money on Harbor Freight garbage powdercoat. The FLB was like $14 shipped off Ebay.

I just PC'd my first batch ever the other day using the Ford Light Blue. They came out looking like I've been doing it for 20 years. Make sure you know the temp settings on your toaster oven. My Wally World temp settings were slightly high on my first batch, and left some little silver and blue blobs where there use to be bullets lol. 400 degrees definitely was not 400 degrees. I set it at 250 (or whatever that equaled), and cooked for 20 minutes after the powder started to melt.

View Quote
Smokes has a good reputation, but the price and convenience of getting Eastwood LFB was too tempting, I fo'd
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will be interested on how that works, good price.

I hang out on Cast Boolets, and wanted to support one of the good guys there.

So that's where I'm coming from.
View Quote

Same here. Also, smoke will sell you the BBs too and it doesn't add any shopping costs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would never use lube on a bullet that I intended to powder coat.

So much hassle to remove lube so PC will stick.

I size bullets after PC.
View Quote

@dryflash3

It's not bad at all to remove lube, I often size before and after powder coating. If I'm sizing down 2-3 thou or so lower than the bullet casts i find that's too much to size after powder coating without risking shaving off some powder.

Quick dip in 99% IPA to dissolve most of the lube, then a quick dip in acetone to facilitate quick drying and you're done.

I setup two quart size Tupperware containers and throw in a handful in IPA, stir it around, then dip them out by hand and transfer them to the acetone, another quick stir and pull them out and throw them on a towel and dry with a fan. Maybe takes 10min to do a few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#18]
How meticulous do you have to be keeping the bullets separate when baking the pc on? Do they stick together?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Can someone explain the process please. I cast but have never used powder coat for anything. When do you lube or does this replace lube?

Chinook3
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How meticulous do you have to be keeping the bullets separate when baking the pc on? Do they stick together?
View Quote

i saw a youtube vid, where he dumped them all on a tray and baked them in a big gooey clump

after 20mins @400* he poured the whole mess into a big bucket of water

i tried it once with LEE 358-158 FP and 90% looked fine

i typically use blue nitrile gloves and place them on a paper thin silicone baking sheet
:
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the process please. I cast but have never used powder coat for anything. When do you lube or does this replace lube?

Chinook3
View Quote

cast like normal

put a few tablespoons of powder coat into a tupperwear bin....find the kind with a triangle 5 logo, that type builds static

add cast bullets and tighten lid

shake like hell for 3mins

pic them out tap off excess powder
set on a silicone tray and toaster oven bake 400* 20mins

allow to cool and push them thru a LEE sizer die

done

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

cast like normal

put a few tablespoons of powder coat into a tupperwear bin....find the kind with a triangle 5 logo, that type builds static

add cast bullets and tighten lid

shake like hell for 3mins
I shake for 30 seconds... more of a swirl. The directions I used at first said swirl 30 seconds then a few hard up and down shakes to remove excess. I cracked the container when I shook up and down. Now I swirl then pick them out with big tweezers. Ones with too much on them I tap on the container.

pic them out tap off excess powder
set on a silicone tray and toaster oven bake 400* 20mins

I use non stick aluminum foil.

allow to cool and push them thru a LEE sizer die

done

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/024F0163-BD2D-46A4-8B60-57E23D8BEA20_jpe-1610583.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/5C88FF37-F4E1-43AE-B88B-CEEDC0B3FE6D_jpe-1610585.JPG
View Quote

ETA: Adding some black air soft pellets supposedly helps build static. I think it also helps keep the bullets from knocking the powder coat off of one another.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
BASKET ORDER

Eastwood powder should arrive Wednesday, wow that was fast.

After watching a lot of youtube vids and posts people have those little wire mesh baskets for their toaster ovens.  After searching the entire interwebz, found these, fits my toaster oven perfectly, tested by cutting a piece of paper 6"x9" and putting in the oven

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263984005312

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Eastwood powder should arrive Wednesday, wow that was fast.

After watching a lot of youtube vids and posts people have those little wire mesh baskets for their toaster ovens.  After searching the entire interwebz, found these, fits my toaster oven perfectly, tested by cutting a piece of paper 6"x9" and putting in the oven

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263984005312

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/Screenshot_2020-09-28_212342_jpg-1611474.JPG
View Quote

Same company sells this one n silver. I’m wondering if it would be better than white as far as paint burning smell goes. Silver may be clear coated or something so maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#26]
yeah I fucked up, canceled that and ordered the silver one.  The description for the white one includes
It has a Great looking silver finish with an extra clean look.
View Quote
so not totally my fault, reported the description to the seller and ordered 2 of the silver mesh ones.  Supposed to be made of stainless steel wire.
If not I'll organize my junk drawer with them or use them as Xmas gifts.

I didn't want order a big roll of chicken wire and use less than a square foot of it and then store the left over roll in the garage only to toss it out years down the road, how junk accumulates
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#27]

any baking tray, lined with cheap thin ebay silicone baking sheet works great

after a while, the powder coat will start to build up on the wire mesh stuff

I really like the SMOKES clear

It goes on like powdered sugar and bakes clear.

you can see the silicone baking sheet, it's woodgrain color, like Clark W. Griswald's station wagon.

after

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]

also, I have run powder coated bullets with max loads of H110/win296 or 2400 magnum powder to +1400fps and ZERO LEADING.

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#29]
BASKET

basket came in, perfect size.  Bought 2 for $15 delivered.  No paint, bare metal, a magnet sticks to it but not strongly, suggestive of stainless steel

This isn't the $15 toaster oven but may end up using this one anyway because it's nasty despite my best cleaning efforts

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m curious if after a few heat cycles the mesh tray will still be flat enough on the bottom the so I can stand boolits up on end and put them in the oven without knocking them over.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm curious if after a few heat cycles the mesh tray will still be flat enough on the bottom the so I can stand boolits up on end and put them in the oven without knocking them over.
View Quote
When I get to that point I'll update this thread.  But just for standing up bullets can just put on parchment paper right, no need for a screen.

If needed a screen could cut up any wire meshing to fit the toaster over pan, no need to use the basket.

My first batch will 10 bullets, then I'll size them, make dummy loads, see if they fit the case gage, then if they chamber in my guns.

Powder coming next couple of days but won't mess with this until mid next week earliest.

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Eastwood is 10 minutes from my house...any benefit of ordering their powder from ebay vs just buying it directly from Eastwood?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you powder coat first, you don't need any lube to run the bullets through the lee sizer.
View Quote
This is true, however after they have been powder coated and I'm ready to size, I like to give them a bit of a spray with One Shot (aerosol kind). It makes sizing much easier and faster. Especially if you are sizing down .003 or more.

It doesn't hurt anything that I know of.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#36]
POWDER

Quoted:
Eastwood is 10 minutes from my house...any benefit of ordering their powder from ebay vs just buying it directly from Eastwood?
View Quote

The powder came today
There's only two factors when ordering this powder on ebay vs picking up locally
  • price
  • delivery time
Local pick up > delivery time via ebay all day long
Suspect price will be the same or less if picked up locally

So pick up local:2
ebay: 0

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#37]
FIRST BATCH

thought I'd give it a go with the new $15 cheapie toaster oven, goal is 10 good projectiles to size and make dummy rounds with

Attachment Attached File

Powder coating went well
Attachment Attached File

Humming along well it looks like

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
FIRST BATCH RESULTS

ruh roh!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I had the toaster oven to 375F,  after removing the bullets I found my grill thermometer and ran the toaster without any bullets

Attachment Attached File

I suspected the toaster's temp setting would be off but not over 100F

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#39]
SECOND BATCH

OK I did another test batch, toaster's temp setting right at 300F, this time 11 more bullets and with thermometer

The temp shot up to 475F again but looks like I caught it in time before they starting melting.

The $15 toaster is useless, there's no working temp control, it's either OFF or MAX

Second batch saved from runaway toaster:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought my toaster oven at Goodwill, went there several times before they had any. I have a button that has a picture of a slice of pizza, that seems to be the hottest. It was only getting to 350 or so so I shimmed the temp sensor so it wasn’t inside the oven quite so far. That didn’t do it so I made a heat shield around it with foil and that got it close enough.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Next steps is to size the 45ACP projectiles, then do the dummy rounds.  Unconverted my Dillon 550B that was set up for 40SW, haven't set it to 45ACP yet.

I'll probably use my other toaster oven for powder coating then buy a replacement for food use
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Next steps is to size the 45ACP projectiles, then do the dummy rounds.  Unconverted my Dillon 550B that was set up for 40SW, haven't set it to 45ACP yet.

I'll probably use my other toaster oven for powder coating then buy a replacement for food use
View Quote

Is there no lower setting on the new one?
Might want to check the other one with a thermometer first.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Is there no lower setting on the new one?
Might want to check the other one with a thermometer first.
View Quote
it has a setting but is ignored.  Both set at 375F and 300F had the thermometer reading 475F.  A piece of parchment paper was just on the edge of ignition.  It was dark brown when removed and brittle.

Yes for now on pre-check with a thermometer
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I wonder if the cheap walmart oven is a lemon or if they are all like that. You could exchange it and see if you get better results then get your money back on that one if its a POS too.

ETA: I thought OP said he got the $15 oven at Walmart, which would make return and exchange easy. OP didn’t say where he got it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wonder if the cheap walmart oven is a lemon or if they are all like that.
View Quote

Mine is from walmart, was on clearance for under $20.  Mechanical thermostat and timer.  Temperature markings are fairly accurate, 400f marking gives about 375f.  I adjusted with a thermometer until I found the 400f setting and made a mark with a paint pen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder if the cheap walmart oven is a lemon or if they are all like that. You could exchange it and see if you get better results then get your money back on that one if its a POS too.

ETA: I thought OP said he got the $15 oven at Walmart, which would make return and exchange easy. OP didn't say where he got it.
View Quote

was on sale at Best Buy (now it's $29.99) and is past the return window.  The oven does come with a 2 year warranty but to make the claim I'll have to spend $15 shipping to get a new $15 toaster oven.  I didn't check it when I purchased it, just stashed it in the closet
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

i saw a youtube vid, where he dumped them all on a tray and baked them in a big gooey clump

i typically use blue nitrile gloves and place them on a paper thin silicone baking sheet
:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

:

I have been doing it that way and it works great.  Have to break a few apart.  My powder coat is like 325 deg for 20 min though.  I load for bulk plinking so this might not be the method for loading competition ammo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I’m curious if after a few heat cycles the mesh tray will still be flat enough on the bottom the so I can stand boolits up on end and put them in the oven without knocking them over.
View Quote

I just dump them in the mesh tray and the tray hasn't  warped yet.

You can also buy some of the $1 disposable mesh  aluminum grilling  trays and tin snip and fold them into  a pan.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#50]
SIZING

Got to size the 11 bullets from the second batch and 3 questionable ones from the failed first batch.

Setup:
- RCBS Rock Chucker with RCBS Case Kicker
- converted to use Hornady Lock N Load die bushings
- Lee .452" sizing kit

Attachment Attached File

The 11 bullets from the second batch, I sprayed them with Dillon spray lube before sizing.  I also let these bullets air cool vs quenching, so should be softer and size more easily.  They did.  You can see the sizing marks:
Attachment Attached File

Here's the 3 dubious ones from first batch.  They're mucked up, most likely out of round to begin with

Attachment Attached File

One of the bullets from the second batch had some bare metal showing on the bands, not enough to worry about.  It was that way before sizing

Attachment Attached File

Pulled out my trusted Dillon calipers to measure the bullets

Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top