User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 10:25:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#2]
He an FFL on Gunbroker?

Historically gunbroker is no help at all.

Looks like he has an LLC called "Homefield Outdoor Solutions"
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I am about 8 miles from his house.  I can check him in two weeks.

He is on FB… and sort of LinkedIn as a guitarist…

Look him up in the ffl network.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That user (AtlBlazin99) had a wtb post in the classifieds for a while for a AAC lower.  I messaged him and offered to sell one local  here in Georgia and he told me he lived in Alpharetta Georgia and to text him pictures on that same phone number.. he said he was interested in buying and then ghosted me and never responded again...  this was several months ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Venmo screams scam…
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Venmo screams scam…
View Quote

Most people are just trying to avoid getting dinged income tax on things they sell, thanks to the government going after billionaires receiving >$600 via payment networks (e.g. PayPal goods and services).
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me know if it falls through and I'll get you a replacement.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
.....At least with a check, you add check fraud to the other scam crimes.
View Quote

Wire fraud when scammed using a credit card or other electronic payment.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He an FFL on Gunbroker?

Historically gunbroker is no help at all.

Looks like he has an LLC called "Homefield Outdoor Solutions"
View Quote

Looks like that's a General Contractor (builder).
And using the phone number OP gave.

https://www.manta.com/c/mhbxr83/homefield-outdoor-solutions-llc

What phone number did OP send Venmo to?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most people are just trying to avoid getting dinged income tax on things they sell, thanks to the government going after billionaires receiving >$600 via payment networks (e.g. PayPal goods and services).
View Quote

Most scammers try to avoid methods of payment that can be revoked or disputed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Mod note: deleted pics of personal info

I'm assuming it's his mommy's address. He may or may not live there, there are some hits for a Geoff Murphy in Mesa, AZ.

Assuming its really Geoff Murphy that scammed you and not some else who randomly picked Geoff's name out the blue and set up a fake GB profile using the alias. I would think if the it's same phone number that you've been texting, its probably the real Geoff. If its some random number you cant associate with Geoff its an alias and a burner phone app number.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Most scammers try to avoid methods of payment that can be revoked or disputed.
View Quote

And pretty much everyone in the EE is requesting the same. I’m not selling anyone anything with PayPal G&S wherein I can be scammed by the buyer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
So we're doxing now?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I've dealt with this guy on here and tacswap before.  His comms were very spotty.  He kind of sketched me out and backed out I beleive to sell to someone else.  I have a pic of his DL and it is def that Geoffrey Murphy guy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#19]
My thought…. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck.  

6 weeks, no comms, etc.  I’d say 99.9999% scam.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The text messages say delivered, and he doesn’t respond.  If someone said hey this is Geoffs phone, and he’s in the hospital and should be out in a week that would be more than I have and would give me a time to expect a status update. I have considered that could be the situation, but that is not very likely to be the situation.  He also never texted and said he received my payment, so there wasn’t that level of communication at the front end.  We sent a couple texts back and forth and I paid and that was when radio silence started.  Obviously if it turns out he was in the ICU unconscious for six weeks, then all of this is just an unfortunate coincidence for everyone involved.  I got here by being concerned about 3 weeks of failure to contact him, and then seeing a guy say he was scammed by the same seller on a $5500 Surefire 762SV.  Im not trying to let my imagination run away.

On another note-

Ron Allen of Allen Engineering has always been a very nice person with great business history with his customers and thats a great positive takeaway here as we can’t close the other topic to lack of available information.  Ron is just one of the best guys in the suppressor industry, and I’ve seen that play out over 15 years that I’ve noticed it. The Allen cans are really great cans and its cool he has such a great attitude, despite such a respected product line.  Often that goes to people’s heads and they get harder to deal with, but not Ron.  There’s a difference between being nice once in a while and being sincerely nice all the time and thats Ron in my experience.

View Quote

Call his business number during the day from a local Round Rock number asking about a quote for whatever his construction business does and you'd like to speak to the owner - quick glance appears to be hardscapes/pergolas/pavilions and similar.

That should answer your question if he's alive/in the ICU.
https://www.burnerapp.com/area-code/local-phone-number-512

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Austin, I really hope this guy turns out to be good on his word.  Best of luck with this.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’d be interested to know what the guy that lives 8 minutes away can find out.
View Quote

He should earn an Explorr at cost for his efforts

Sorry you’re going through this, Austin.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#25]
There's an AEM-5 that just popped up on the EE for $1,200.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/AEM5-NIB/118-2250857/
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Venmo screams scam…
View Quote

Pretty sure Gunbroker has made using Venmo or PayPal for guns out of policy, as those platforms do not allow firearms transactions.  If you are out of policy you may not qualify for Gunbroker claims ?

Also, those guys are known for closing accounts and assessing fines for using platform for guns and gun parts.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got the AEM5 from Allen Engineering today.  Thanks Ron for the help, I appreciate it.  Allen Engineering really helped me out, and it shows how quickly suppressors can be transferred between dealers.  The can looks great, fits nice on the PRI Mk12 mod H.  

I still have not heard from the gunbroker seller.  I see no update to the feedback on Gunbroker.
View Quote

Thats cool and good on Ron for helping you out. Would be nice if somehow you could shut the scammer down, but likely
would just pop up again later.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey brother I’m the guy that wrote that review about Geoff, I also posted a Tacswap post on the dude. We need to talk. I’m curious on what he’s been telling you.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Can you get me a picture of the DL for my police report? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

In for what happens now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Venmo has a protection option. It shows up once you choose “Pay” or “Send”, where you select your method of payment. Toggle it on. Of course, it’s for “eligible purchases” and I would imagine being firearm related would be their plausible deniability.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Somehow Gunbroker accounts are being hacked easier than other websites, the hackers target the accounts with a ton of A+ feedback, this guy had like 20,000 A+ feedback .

So I messaged a guy on there with a Gen 1 Glock 19 (which from what I know there were only a few made, basically zero made) with a $1300 buy it now, so I was like ok, I don't need one but considering its probably worth 5k ill ask him, and he sent me pictures of a Glock 17 when I asked for a few more pics, thankfully most scammers are complete fucking idiots.

I told Gunbroker and the account was shut down the next day (hopefully restored to the guy that earned the feedback). This happened again with an over/under 12g I was looking at with thousands of A+ feedback, and feedback is the only thing to really go off of for reputation so I basically stopped using Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And pretty much everyone in the EE is requesting the same. I'm not selling anyone anything with PayPal G&S wherein I can be scammed by the buyer.
View Quote
Take feedback and length of time on the site as a marker. I ask for those payments as well, because of the new tax stuff and I don't want to eat fees.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The guy in this case was talking to me in text messages from his account listed phone number and he knew a lot of gun information so I feel like I was talking to him, not a scammer.  He was talking about the surefire sv he just sold, and the picture I was provided by someone on here had his ID and CCW permit in the same shot with that Surefire sv.  

I think this guy either died or was hospitalized, or intentionally ripped people off.   I don’t think it is likely the scammer was a relative firearms expert, or that the scammer would list and sell something for which there was a picture of the physical presence of, with Drivers license and CCW permit of the account holder.  Thats a fairly big workup at that point.  The scammer would have to nearly be an intelligence service. He would not have knowledge of items the seller had, so the scam items would be random items.

View Quote

Semantics. He intended to rip you off.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top