Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2022 5:07:36 PM EDT
I am looking to get a portable shooting bench for use up at my property.  I want it to be portable so I can take it down and lock in the house when I am not there but be able to easily set it up and shoot from it when I do visit the property.

Is the Caldwell Stable Table about the best there is?  

I know it wouldn't be like a permanent heavy duty shooting bench, but I am not looking at winning $$ with it or anything either.  Just fun shooting, sighting in/checking scopes, etc. all at distances maxing out at about 200 yds.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Want a neat DIY project? Several years ago my brother and I made one! Here's a link to the story; it's about 4-5 posts down.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the mtm high low shooting table.

Great for rocky and uneven terrain.

Mtm high low
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am looking to get a portable shooting bench for use up at my property.  I want it to be portable so I can take it down and lock in the house when I am not there but be able to easily set it up and shoot from it when I do visit the property.

Is the Caldwell Stable Table about the best there is?  

I know it wouldn't be like a permanent heavy duty shooting bench, but I am not looking at winning $$ with it or anything either.  Just fun shooting, sighting in/checking scopes, etc. all at distances maxing out at about 200 yds.
View Quote

I own a Caldwell Stable Table.  It’s excellent with one caveat; it’s weight.  I transport the disassembled table in a large Caldwell bag.  It is very heavy and the table top makes it ungainly too.

If you go in knowing that, it’s excellent.  But if you want lightweight and easy to transport, it’s less optimal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was into varmint shooting I used a black and decker workmate folding table combined with a plywood tabletop I cut.  I attached a piece of lumber (2x2?) to the plywood so I could clamp it in the workmate.

It worked really well plus I could use the workmate as it was intended for home projects.

Certainly this isn't the BEST choice but it's a decent option. Cheap too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Used to be one called BIG SHOOTER that I had, it rotated and was fairly portable  but I wouldn’t call it man-packabke.

They made attachments for it too, like a bottle holder for nitrogen to cool your barrel.

I eventually sold it and went to a cheap folding table and folding chair, but this wasn’t nearly as good for seated shooting
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I own a Caldwell Stable Table.  It’s excellent with one caveat; it’s weight.  I transport the disassembled table in a large Caldwell bag.  It is very heavy and the table top makes it ungainly too.

If you go in knowing that, it’s excellent.  But if you want lightweight and easy to transport, it’s less optimal.
View Quote

I have a Caldwell Stable Table as well. I'm fortunate enough to have acreage to shoot on so I leave mine fully assembled. I did install locking casters on the three legs and wheel it in and out of my garage when I want to use it.
Gary
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I just sit on a bucket at my folding table   Maybe I’m doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]
They are not cheap but I believe these paired with a drummers seat is the best there is.  https://www.stukeysbenches.com/

I got one to be mostly permanent where it is on my land but occasionally break it down and use it somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I also have a Caldwell Stable Table.  I’ve had it about 7 years and it’s been used a lot - as in pretty much weekly for most of that time.

The only issue I had was the plastic heads on the thumbscrews slipping on the screws themselves, and it’s an odd metric thread.  They sent  me a pair of replacements and they’ve held up well in the 5 or 6 years since.

The table top isn’t huge and it was initially a bucket list item to make a larger one out of 1 1/4” finger jointed panel wood, but once I figured out how to use it efficiently that need went away.  Using a tripod for the spotting scope also frees up a lot of space.

It is heavy, so portable is a relative term.  Until recently I kept it and most of my other range gear in a small clamshell trailer on our property.  We have however recently sold that property so it’s now along side the house.  Carrying the pieces 20-30 ft and setting them up wasn’t a big deal.   But it’s not something you’ll want to pack a 1/4 mile.

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a Caldwell Stable Table as well. I'm fortunate enough to have acreage to shoot on so I leave mine fully assembled. I did install locking casters on the three legs and wheel it in and out of my garage when I want to use it.
Gary
View Quote
@Reloder56 - I'd love to see some pictures of how you did that.  We've been thinking about doing the same to move spots without having to break everything down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I did end up with a stable table. I like it. Setup here with my 870 patterning a turkey load.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to shooting tables. I use the same table, but the one that folds in half. It fits in the back of my sxs. And I use this folding step ladder as the stool.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I now need a new shooting table.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Will not buff out.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I use a folding table from MartsofWall and a HFreight folding stool to sit on.
I used to use a tractor supply picknik table thrown on my 4wheeler trailer until the road I go to shoot at went to shit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Glad you weren't there when it came down!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh... I was there.  I deliberately moved the table so I could cut down tree #1.   I cut down tree #1 and it became wedged in between trees # 2 & 3.  No problem... I'll just cut tree #2 that has tree #1 wedged in.  All went well, except I forgot to move the table - a second time - before I cut down tree # 2.  Bam!  

Those table run $55 - $65 EACH at Costco.  Searching Craigslist.... found 3 of those tables for $20.   I'm back up and running!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top