Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2018 9:04:01 PM EDT
I got my first mini-14 a couple weeks ago and I’m torn on wether or not I want to scope it.

Right now I have two AR15s equipped with red dots and I find myself wanting to red dot the mini as well.

I have a 2-7x33 redfield revolution on my Marlin 336 that I no longer use and I have considered moving it to the mini. Will I be disappointed with the accuracy?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried a scope on one 20 years ago and hated it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Glass won't do a mini14 any good. I've had 3 and none were worth a damn.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a 2.5-8x Nikon pistol scope on the Ultimak only when I want to test loads. I can do better with the scope, but not leaps and bounds better than the FastFires I normally run.
A scope, even a lighter one, tends to affect the balance and handling for the worse.
You don't even notice a 1 ounce FastFire is there. I also use the Burris Protector mount, adds some weight but wraps around the sight for well..... protection.

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]
How do you like that choat flash hider? I’m thinking about getting one for my 583 series ranch, either that or getting the clamp on front sight and threading my barrel.

I’d message the guy on PU about the sight but no one will approve my membership.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Mac90, the Choate is nice. The front blade is a bit too thick, but it's still not as thick as the stock Ruger winged front sight.

If you have some moderate gunsmithing skills, installation is not bad, but otherwise you might want to take it to a gunsmith for install.
I have explained how to do it in detail on perfectunion, so won't go into it all here, but you need to get it straight up at 12 o'clock so you don't find later that you've used up all your windage to get zeroed. A cheap laser cartridge like the Sightmark will get you close.
You then use the bottom set screw to secure it long enough to check zero at the range, then you can drill the roll pin holes.
The Ruger steel seems very hard, be prepared to go slow with the drill press, and have a couple good bits for each roll pin hole.

I assume the guy you refer to on PU is FMJ50, of TrueShot Tecnologies.
If you like his designs, then go for it. I think you could contact him directly on his website without having to PM him.

The guy is a trip. He starts producing one of his new sights, THEN comes on the forum and asks our opinion.
Almost unanimously, we say it looks too big for a Mini, too blocky and sharp angled., and we'd rather have a pin on instead of a clamp on sight. He gets all defensive, and tells us he's already producing that design, can't change it now, and that we don't know what we're talking about. He has the worst customer skills of anybody I've ever seen.  Threads that he starts always turn into a shitfest.
He did just come out with a design that is more in line with what we wanted, but still a clamp on. It took him a few years, but he is starting to come around to what the customer desires, instead of what HE thinks is cool looking.

I have threaded several Mini's with hand tools I got from Carolina Shooters Supply. Easier to do than the Choate and you can change the FH out for something else later if desired. With a newer Mini like you have, the winged front sight is already there.
I only used the Choate on a couple builds as I couldn't locate a take-off winged sight for my older Mini-30's to replace the fat single blade old style sight.
The Choate, already having a winged sight built in, was the next best option.

After doing the threading, it's a good idea to clean up the crown, also done with hand tools I got from Brownell's. It doesn't take much to improve on the factory crown job, this will also contribute to better groups.
Here is one of mine I threaded and put a Ruger FH on:
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glass won't do a mini14 any good. I've had 3 and none were worth a damn.
View Quote
I was  surprised that on an AR15 forum that there were many who appreciated Mini's and didn't badmouth them, only a matter of time before a hater appeared.
gsc0527, I had a couple Mini's years ago, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say they weren't worth a damn, I wasn't that happy with 3 or 4 MOA and sold them.
When I decided to get another in 2012, I learned a few simple mods from guys over at perfectunion forum, and that Mini went from 3 MOA to 1 3/4 with stuff like PMC and PPU, and 1 MOA with my hand loads and Match bullets. I've had three more older Mini's since (189 series Mini-30's) and they have all been as good.

While your Mini's might not have been worth a damn, that doesn't mean they all are.
I could teach you a lot about the Mini platform, but if your mind is already made up, what's the use ?
I had problems with a new F-150 and a new Jeep, but that doesn't mean I think all of them are bad.

The new heavier barrel Mini's don't have the accuracy and stringing issues of the old ones either.
Some guys will lump all Mini's together until their dying days.
Another example that comes to mind is the 2007 takeover by Marlin of the Cerebrus/Freedom group, of which Remington is also a part of.
All the old workers were let go, and some were so pissed they sabotaged the machinery. The new workers were struggling, and for a couple years after the take over, new Marlins were being shipped out with poor wood to metal fit, rough actions, and other problems. Those issues were corrected, and Marlins I've purchased in the last few years have zero issues.
But some guys still say that new Marlins are crap, and should be avoided, which is bunk.  Those two years or so of problem guns will haunt them forever.
As Winston Churchill once said, "A lie will travel halfway around the world before the truth can get it's pants on".

I'm not saying your statement is a lie, but broad generalizations about a product are sometimes wrong. Much of the Mini badmouthing comes from guys just repeating what they heard on the internet, with no real experience like you had. I used to think all AK's are not capable of good accuracy, until I put some glass on one, used better ammo, and shot it from a rest.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I listed Techsight, however, that's with a modification in that I got a Techsight Mini200 rear sight but I also got their optional .042" dia Target aperture that along with a thinned .050" wide front sight blade, gives me National Match like iron sights.

(Note: My current front Choate sight/fh pictured below also has a thinned .050" front blade but this gives you a picture of how thin the front blade is now.)

Together with the rest of the accuracy mods I did on my Mini, I've got one that will produce just over 1 MOA performance with my handloads.  Plenty accurate enough to shoot bowling pins at 200yrds.  My RRA AR mid-length carbine doesn't produce any better results than my Mini and the Mini is so much more fun to shoot than the AR, I barely use my RRA anymore.

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly I have always wanted a mini but could not justify paying $700+ for one. Part of my hesitation came from all the negative I heard online. When a local Walmart marked down a ranch rifle to $399 I knew it was time to give it a try.

It isn’t an AR and that’s ok, it’s still fun and so far it’s just as accurate (for me) to shoot offhand with irons as an AR.

One of my earliest shooting memories was my dads buddy shooting a mini with one of those 90 round drums. I don’t remember if it was worth a damn but I remember being impressed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Bone stock will work, but the Tech is easier to adjust than the Ruger rear sight, and is generally better liked by those that have done the switch.
A Tech sight is the first thing I do to older Ranch rifles to replace the dinky folding rear sight.
All carbines that might be used for defensive purposes should have a good pair of irons.
I'm a firm believer in the Ultimak, and being able to take the dot off, slap a scope on it, and later have the dot back on it, is nice.
So for your poll, I need to vote for 3 of the 4 choices.

If you do want some magnification, there's nothing wrong with a compact 2-7x or a fixed 2.5x one.
3x is plenty to get you out a long ways especially if it's a sharp prism scope like this, with the excellent ACSS reticle. It's made in a 7.62 x 39 and .300 BO model, and one that is for 5.56mm, 5.45x 39 and .308.
This has a tad under 3 inches of eye relief, so you couldn't use one on an Ultimak, it's have to go over the action on the Ruger rail.
My 1st gen one would have to have a lower ACOG mount for it to use on a Mini. The new 2nd Gen Primary Arms Prisms come with a detachable spacer in the mount.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-gen-ii-3x-compact-prism-scope-acss-cqb-m2-5-56-nato-reticle-black
I was starting to have trouble using irons, as the front sight was getting pretty fuzzy. After CoSteve tried the smaller Tech aperture, I put them on my sights, and it, along with thinning the front sight blade some, really made a difference. The front sight is sharper now, and I can see to use irons a few more years.
You can see the smaller hole Urethane inserts in both of these sights:
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I scored a couple of Leupold VX-2's for $74 a piece and installed one today. I played around with it and ended up taking it off almost immediately. It kind of killed the low profile and slim feel of the mini and made it heavy. I think I will look into an ultimak with a vortex crossfire 2 red dot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know if something like a TRS25 will cowitness on the ultimak?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top