Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2021 10:34:06 AM EDT
<-- Raises hand with a dumb question...

I using the B40 target for pistol shooting, 10m and am confused. Which point on this target should I use for my point of aim?
If I use B, then the area becomes torn and I start to loose a clear POA. Tried to google but no luck, may post on one of the airgun forums but you guys like me more

Point of Aim, A or B? Sights are "iron" open sights.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Right now, iron sights.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree with AEROE

6 O’clock hold on your front post works for most shooters. The small variation on that hold depends on your eyesight and preference.

Some folks are pumpkin on a post, and some folks are flat tire.

Pumpkin on post is tangent to the 6 O’Clock.

Flat tire is an attempt to bring the two corners of your front post to the radius of the aiming black.

There are folks who use Navy Hold at the very center. The tendecy is for shooters with blurry vision at distance who say that just getting their post into the black while focus is on their front post blade will help with their hold. There are even folks who shoot slow fire at 6 O’clock and rapids at center.

For air pistol, you must decide if you are practicing for bullseye or combat. Most folks will use a precision air pistol for bullseye, but there are some who are speed and combat oriented. Just depends on your goal.

Chewing up your 10 ring is a good problem to have.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the details guys...
I am target bullseye with my 2300S on the B40 targets. Will submit my first 40 shot results online this week. Doing a virtual competition over at AGN.

I just installed a red dot on the P17 and it's turning out to be a hoot. Got a tree-rat at lunch today ~10 yards. One shot took him out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
A.

I shoot 6 o'clock hold. I avg 540's at matches and use a Baikal 46.

Unless you are a hard hard holder, shooting center mass you will have more horiz and vert spread. Depending on light if you are shooting in a dark range you may have issues seeing front sight clearly against target.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Avid ISSF 10m air pistol shooter here and I think AeroE alluded to what is known as the "sub-6 hold" where the front sight is actually held with the top of the post below the black bull.  Typically, it is held with the same amount of light above the front post as are on each side of the front sight when in the rear notch.  This is called and "area hold".  The reason for this is so that you don't try to drive the pistol into position and then snatch the trigger as it hits the "perfect" spot.  The key, of course, is to squeeze the trigger while holding in the area and have a surprise break.  Some folks do shoot 10m AP very effectively using a center or 6 O'clock hold but probably better than 50% of top level shooters use the sub-6 hold.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
same amount of light above the front post as are on each side of the front sight when in the rear notch

Interesting and it makes sense. I'm also using a .047"/.050" diopter cling sight on my safety glasses... older eyes and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top