Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2018 6:50:45 AM EDT
gday,

Really odd request from down under today. I'm a professional pest controller and contracted by farmers and government agencies to destroy pests on land.

I need a can for a job. The contract requires the use of a suppressor to limit the rifle report. The agriculture department insists on using a "sound moderator" as the neighbours have complained before about noise when shooting.

I've never needed the use of a suppressor before, as all my contracts have been in really remote areas either on a motorbike or in a helicopter.
I've got my PTA (Permit to acquire) approved by the state Firearms registry (the US equivalent of a NFA tax stamp), which means I have permission to register a suppressor of my choice.

I don't want to import a suppressor into the country, as that requires an import permit from the Attorney Generals office. I essentially have to ask permission from the feds, and that is a really really strung out ordeal. I have permission from the state government to procure a suppressor, not the federal gov. Involving them to import the suppressor can take 6 months or more.

For the cost of shipping some baffles, end caps, a tube + $160 gunsmith signature I can give those components to a gunsmith who can drill a few holes and within the hour 'make' a suppressor for me. So much easier than importing one.

All up the project should cost me much much less than importing a commercial can from the US and save me the migraine from the AG department.

I had to wait for 13 months for the permit on my Ruger AR to come through so it was allowed into the country.... sad times we are in...
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#1]
What you're describing is a "solvent trap" suppressor kit. It might behoove you to join over at form1suppressor.boards.net. The site is geared towards those interested in and the building of those exact items.

Also, you may want to look over at http://www.silencertalk.com. In your unique situation, it may be beneficial to have one made "from scratch".

Whichever route you decide to go, both mentioned sites will be able to provide all the finer details you require.

The type of firearm as well as caliber intended will be important pieces of information.

ETA: I mention building one from scratch as any competent machinist (unless a gunsmith is needed by law) could make one for you in a day. You'll have it in your hand and shooting, most likely, weeks before ordering the parts from the USA.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I would get a 1.5" diversified tube (something around 6-7") with endcaps, Ti will save on weight at a premium. get 5 or 6 baffles from https://www.zmachineworx.com some .035" tubing that fits the inside of the tube for use as a spacer between endcap and baffle stack. have drilled, clipped and your set.

going with a griffin style endcap would give you more mounting options if you plan on multiple hosts. not knowing what critters your shooting I personally would have the can made in the largest caliber you could see yourself shooting (30 cal is often a safe number) it will cost you a few db but gives more flexability if say you need to shoot larger animals and need to step up to a 6 or 6.5mm weapon, ect....
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The can would only be used on my 223 rifle. I only shoot pigs and roos and a hot enough 223 wallops them pretty good.

Asking the feds for an AR10 is too much of a headache...
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
are upper receivers restricted as well? if so what if you needed more knock down power and something like a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc may be needed. having a suppressor that is already compatible would be nice vs needing another down the road.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly there are a few guys who hang out at silencer talk from australia that make silencers.

It might be worth a post to seek some advice, as the majority here will not know anything about the complications of sourcing things from overseas.

I'd also expect a lot of push back from anyone selling "solvent traps" here in the US to try and ship overseas.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks,

i've signed up and will have a poke around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top