Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2017 9:47:41 AM EDT
A laser is going to reflect off everything even remotely shiny and you won’t know you’re being beamed until it’s too late.

My buddy and I were boar hunting this morning. Hehas a full power ATPIAL. Had it on Hi/Hi with the filter over the laser aperture, but the Illuminator was not covered. Saw a boar, shot it out of his truck window and then stashed the rifle muzzle up leaning against the shifter. Drove to get the boar loaded it in the truck and drove all the way home. Like that. Started complaining of eye pain. I guess that shit was pointed right at him for 15 mins bouncing around reflecting off windows and shit. He was good with unloading the rifle but he never once checked the laser.

He’s got a spot on his eye and will be going to the Dr tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad news, that is permanent retinal damage.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Please let us know what the Dr. says, and what, if any treatment he recommends.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Good word and really hope for the best for your friend
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true. But more that likely that laser will go through the glass and not reflect. Hope all is well with buddy. But it's very unlikely the Beam would bounce from a typical car window.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that about your friend. You have to treat the rotary switch on your LAM as  your safety. Hope he'll recover 100%
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Guess I’m confused.if the laser was painting his face wasn’t the rifle bore?

Shooting out of a truck and laying your rifle against the shifter he’s lucky he only has a sore eye.
Regardless,wish him the best!

I’ll go back to my Mr. Obvious where mistakes never happen land now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm too poor for this PSA to be relevant to me. Hope your buddy recovers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is true. But more that likely that laser will go through the glass and not reflect. Hope all is well with buddy. But it's very unlikely the Beam would bounce from a typical car window.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most windows block (reflect) UV light.  I don't know about IR, but I would guess that they are designed to reflect IR to help keep interiors cool.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Most windows block (reflect) UV light.  I don't know about IR, but I would guess that they are designed to reflect IR to help keep interiors cool.
View Quote
There are lots of variables. IR is a pretty broad spectrum but most wave lengths penetrate most types of glass unless it specifically designed to keep that wave length out. I have tested a couple types of IR lasers through many types of glass and composites and very few have effect. Most that do tend to absorb some heat but the light goes straight through.

eta: not saying it isn't possible. There's also lots of other stuff in a vehicle that 100% can and will bounce a beam.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are lots of variables. IR is a pretty broad spectrum but most wave lengths penetrate most types of glass unless it specifically designed to keep that wave length out. I have tested a couple types of IR lasers through many types of glass and composites and very few have effect. Most that do tend to absorb some heat but the light goes straight through.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a quick search, and saw that some window films "absorb" IR light.  Not sure what that means.  I don't think I would want film that made my windows hot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t know what kind of testing you’ve been doing, but I’ve lased plenty of windows, windshields, glass fragments, etc. with aiming lasers “IRL,” and while yes, some of it goes through, you can still get some pretty significant reflection/bloom/splashback, espcially depending on angle and distance.

Spectrums, power, yadda, yadda, maybe the glass reduces it enough not to cause permanent damage (fingers crossed in this case), but you’re still going to get some of it coming back at you.

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

eta: not saying it isn't possible. There's also lots of other stuff in a vehicle that 100% can and will bounce a beam.
View Quote
I was just trying to point out that a laser will reflect off things and damage your eye. Bullets ricochet but not off everything (they will just go through it)

It didn’t matter if it reflected or not for him unfortunately, the IR was pointed right at his face for quite a while.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Automotive glass lets in short IR, but blocks long IR.

That's why your car gets so hot in the summertime sitting in the sun.

The shortwave stuff heats up all the surfaces in the car, then they emit longer wave IR which can't get back out through the glass, so it gets hot as hell inside the car.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Whenever I meet up with a group of guys to do NVG shit, I always wear the green IR laser lense eye protection, the lenses are not cheap and are kind of annoying, but I'd you look on eBay you can find them for less, my revision sawfly IR lens was only $15 bucks.

I have seen some real idiots do some real retarded shit with full power lasers, most people are 100% ignorant of the danger. Some wrap around IR laser goggles give me a little piece of mind.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
He didn’t notice it was still on when he was putting the NODs away?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He didn’t notice it was still on when he was putting the NODs away?
View Quote
I wasn’t there and I’m not really inquiring as to hey man how did you permanently ruin your vision but I would guess he shot the boar threw the rifle in the truck, ripped his NV off and drove to get him. Never putting the NV back on.

In time if he’s not so devastated I will ask exactly what he did.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#19]
That sucks. Guy was probably stoked and hyped up from the shoot and didn’t think twice about it.

It’s easy to say “he shoulda” with the benefit of hindsight but I’m sure we’ve all had our moments.

Hope he is ok. The body is pretty resilient and I’ve seen a lot of recovery when doctors were in doubt. Eye pain sounds bad though.

Both eyes?  Just one?  It’s hard to imagine the beam hit just one eye for long stretches of time. While your vehicle feels smooth, especially if it’s newer, things vibrate and bounce quite a bit. Hopefully this means there wasn’t a lot of full blown exposure to one eye
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#20]
“It seemed like fun at the time” as they are all blind now lol.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wasn’t there and I’m not really inquiring as to hey man how did you permanently ruin your vision but I would guess he shot the boar threw the rifle in the truck, ripped his NV off and drove to get him. Never putting the NV back on.

In time if he’s not so devastated I will ask exactly what he did.
View Quote
Lol I shouldn't laugh but that's funny
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
peq and dbal auto shut off after 5 mins, a good thing im sure in this case!
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
peq and dbal auto shut off after 5 mins, a good thing im sure in this case!
View Quote
this.

5 minutes is still a long time to be subjected to any IR laser in a confined space potentially shining you in the face.  In for an update.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Is this an issue with the civilian lasers like the OTAL-C?

Do the green tinted lenses affect the image of the NOD?

I guess the PVS-14 needs an IR filter too?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry about your friend. Thank you for the reminder.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
This is also why almost every unit including civil stuff has a visible light that illuminates when the unit is actively emitting ir.

Eta:Or they have a clearly marked setting knob.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is also why almost every unit including civil stuff has a visible light that illuminates when the unit is actively emitting ir.

Eta:Or they have a clearly marked setting knob.
View Quote
I know in the USMC we never even removed the blue safety screw from our PEQs even in Iraq.

I’m not sure how Eye safe a civilian IR laser is though. Does anyone have any insight on that? How much damage would an ATPIAL C pointed directly into your eye 5 feet away do? Nothing? Eye ache? Or permanent damage?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I know in the USMC we never even removed the blue safety screw from our PEQs even in Iraq.

I’m not sure how Eye safe a civilian IR laser is though. Does anyone have any insight on that? How much damage would an ATPIAL C pointed directly into your eye 5 feet away do? Nothing? Eye ache? Or permanent damage?
View Quote
I don't think any laser is eye safe. Ever

Even the little piss-ant red ones will disturb your vision for a while at distances of a few miles, according to folks who have been squirted in aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't care how "unloaded" a rifle is—I'm still not storing it with the barrel pointed right at my face.

I hope your friend is ok.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Why muzzle up? That just seems like a bad idea all around.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess it's always a good idea to be sure that shit you can't see is turned off.

The guys who fart around with fluorescent minerals always have to be careful to keep reflections from their UV lamps out of their eyes, and that it really isn't a good idea to look into it "to see if it is on".

I know of one case where a foreign graduate student in a crystallography lab was grabbed and forcibly pulled back just as he was about to look into an x-ray beam "to see if it was on".
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Any update on your friends status?

Hope he doesn’t have any permanent damage.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Any update on your friends status?

Hope he doesn’t have any permanent damage.
View Quote
I don’t know the specifics but they think it’s temporary.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does he still see the dark spot?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
There was a guy on candlepowerforums years ago who zapped himself in the eye accidentally. Laser reflected off something in his house and pop, instant spot in his field of vision. After a year (possibly longer) he posted an update that the spot was mostly gone and admitted he felt lucky considering it could have much worse.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#36]
The human body can be a lot tougher, and sometimes a lot weaker than you think. I’m not completely shocked they said that.

One thing is for sure, I’ll bet he turns into the number one laser safety nazi.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome, I wish him well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#38]
IR laser damage is permanent. The floaters he is seeing in his vitreous humor are a result of the retinal necrosis and resulting inflammation aggravating the initial injury to the retinal ganglion cells.

He will be very fortunate if he does not experience Posterior Uvetitis bilaterally and lose sight from the S-antigen secretion in his other eye, resulting in serious permanent blindness in both eyes. Any inflammation in one eye can result in Autoimmune inflammatory Uveitis in both eyes and permanent loss of vision and is a very serious disease.

https://nei.nih.gov/health/uveitis/uveitis
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
IR laser damage is permanent. The floaters he is seeing in his vitreous humor are a result of the retinal necrosis and resulting inflammation aggravating the initial injury to the retinal ganglion cells.

He will be very fortunate if he does not experience Posterior Uvetitis bilaterally and lose sight from the S-antigen secretion in his other eye, resulting in serious permanent blindness in both eyes. Any inflammation in one eye can result in Autoimmune inflammatory Uveitis in both eyes and permanent loss of vision and is a very serious disease.

https://nei.nih.gov/health/uveitis/uveitis
View Quote
While all technically true and possible if the eye doctors who actually performed the examination said it’s probably temporary I’d probably take their word for it.

Even though doctors can be wrong and beyond that morons even.

Like I mentioned earlier even the smoothest cars bounce a lot. I doubt the beam was in the exact same position on his eye for a lengthy amount of time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

While all technically true and possible if the eye doctors who actually performed the examination said it’s probably temporary I’d probably take their word for it.

Even though doctors can be wrong and beyond that morons even.

Like I mentioned earlier even the smoothest cars bounce a lot. I doubt the beam was in the exact same position on his eye for a lengthy amount of time.
View Quote
If he is still seeing a dark (or black) spot, the retina is either damaged or destroyed in that spot.

The retina is a pretty damned delicate thing, and can be irreversibly damaged fairly easily.

I hope your friend didn't permanently damage his vision.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#42]
There are at least two soldiers sitting in the military prison in Fort Leavenworth because they thought it would be funny to shine lasers in people's eyes while deployed.  One hurt over 200 soldiers in the DFAC.  They caught him because most of the injured went to sick call at the same time and the DFAC had cameras.

ETA fix autocorrect
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good to hear that he's probably ok.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There are at least two soldiers sitting in the military prison in Fort Leavenworth because they thought it would be funny to shine lasers in people's eyes while deployed.  One hurt over 200 soldiers in the DFAC.  They caught him because most of the injured went to sick call at the same time and the DFAC had cameras.

ETA fix autocorrect
View Quote
I for one, hope they sit there for a very long time.

Yet another example of people who can't distinguish between "stupid" and "funny".

They probably think they got fucked by the system, because folks didn't understand that it was just a "joke".
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Update?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yesterday I had a long educational coversation with a Member of a Large Metro SWAT team in TX interested in LA-5 laser/ Illuminators, they want to be able to absolutely flood an area with IR light for their SWAT members to see as well as Snipers, especially into buildings through windons and open doors. Not a bad want, however I asked him if laser safety to both His officers and the public was important to him? He said "of course, but what do you mean?" You see he had no idea that class 3 lasers like PEQ-2's PEQ 15's LA-5's and MAWL DA's could and would damage peoples eye sight and could destroy an intensifier tube with laser damage from even breif exposure to units like that, and had inadvertantly been doing so to both citizens and his officers ever since they got their hand me down PEQ-15's from the Gov't 1033.

I wonder how many people they have injured over the years because they did not read the product manual.
I explained if they want range and eye safety all in one package the MAWL C1+ is the best route to go down, certainly cheaper than an LA-5 and less liability.
View Quote
That's pretty scary actually.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yesterday I had a long educational coversation with a Member of a Large Metro SWAT team in TX interested in LA-5 laser/ Illuminators, they want to be able to absolutely flood an area with IR light for their SWAT members to see as well as Snipers, especially into buildings through windons and open doors. Not a bad want, however I asked him if laser safety to both His officers and the public was important to him? He said "of course, but what do you mean?" You see he had no idea that class 3 lasers like PEQ-2's PEQ 15's LA-5's and MAWL DA's could and would damage peoples eye sight and could destroy an intensifier tube with laser damage from even breif exposure to units like that, and had inadvertantly been doing so to both citizens and his officers ever since they got their hand me down PEQ-15's from the Gov't 1033.

I wonder how many people they have injured over the years because they did not read the product manual.
I explained if they want range and eye safety all in one package the MAWL C1+ is the best route to go down, certainly cheaper than an LA-5 and less liability.
View Quote
It's a shame that someone needed to have it explained to them why shining lasers at peoples faces is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#49]
After reading over the many responses here in this thread regarding IR Illuminators, IR lasers,and such, it is easy for me to see why the FDA regulates these instruments so highly from civilian use as the lack of knowledge of their effects on the human eye leaves much to be desired.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After reading over the many responses here in this thread regarding IR Illuminators, IR lasers,and such, it is easy for me to see why the FDA regulates these instruments so highly from civilian use as the lack of knowledge of their effects on the human eye leaves much to be desired.
View Quote
Same reason they regulate MGs. I had a ND/AD on a familiarization fire with a PPsH41 because I was unfamiliar with open bolts. It went in a safe direction and didn't hurt anyone so that was good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top