Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2021 10:33:25 AM EDT
I have a bump helmet with a mount for one unit.  I'd like to purchase another PVS14 and run duals.  The more I study it, the more confused I get.

Do I just order a "bridge"?  Are there different types/styles of bridges?  If so, how do I know which one to get?  Are there left and right PVS14's?  These are the type questions I have.

TIA
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Nite Walker YouTube channel - I think there is a vid on this. A Mod Armory D-14 is one way, Wilcox also has a Bridge. There is no Left and Right 14. I'm sure there are many ways, someone else will know way more than me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#2]
You will likely need a

Dovetail mount (G24 is a great choice)

Another 14 of similar specs - I would recommend that you call whomever you ordered from and tell them what you want to do, see if they can match the specs.  If you bought used, find your spec sheet and call Robert at JRH or TNVC and see if you can ‘match’ it.

And buy a bridge.  There are a crap ton of choices out there, really comes down to how much $$$ you have / want to spend, options, etc.  Look for Nitewalkers videos on youtube, find the one about bridges.  Great vid

ETA- I have the Mod Armory D14.  Rrally wanted the Knights Armament, but damn!  They believe in those things!
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Rhino2 off ebay
Pvs15 dovetail socket from tnvc
D14 bridge from Mod Armory

Second post of this thread

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/yet-another-mount-question.6978269/

Substitute the Mod Armory light weight bridge if you don't need the quick disconnect. Its lighter and quite a bit cheaper

Eta you probably have what they call a bayonet mount for your single mount jarm. Most people switch to a dovetail style when going to a bridge. Pvs14s are all the same so no left and right. Some bridges like the knights and Mod Armory have left and right arms. On my d14s I switch the arms and it doesn't seem to matter as they just have a slightly different angle. One of the arms is better for running a coti but I don't remember which one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with a tnvc non powered bridge, looked a little more stable holding the housings in alignment wiht the focus stop rings and its lightweight.  I didnt think the IC duel 14 would work well on one of my housings since the contacts for the auto cutoff are flush with the surface and it looks like the IC uses those to locate the housing.

I didnt want to invest too much in a mount in case I didnt like it so I just put a mod armory dovetail adapter on a rhino II.  

I have no problems with running a single PVS14, but I have two of them (one for the wife to use occasionally) so figured I would try to pair them up and see how I like it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The best way is NOT to run dual 14s because of the 25+ ounces hanging off of your face and the 1 pound+ of counter balance weight you'll need in the back weighing down on your neck will cause neck strain after 5 minutes of use.

Second reason is if you don't have match tubes it can cause head aches due to eye strain. Some will say it's not bad, but your brain will try and even out the picture both eyes in what it sees.

Third is cost, by the time you add up all the cost you'll be @ the same cost of set of XLH BNVD binos.

While I do get the attraction of splitting your binos into monos, the downsides of it out weig the benefits. If you need to equip 2 users I'd rather run a single for each. Although running a mono takes a little  more to get use to running a mono, once learned you can become very effective as running binos. The biggest downside of a mono is trying to drive will make most dizzy.

As far as what you need is a bridge, I'd go with a ModArmory D14 light weight in either a horn or dovetail that matches your swing arm
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the comments and vid suggestions. Cleared a lot up.

I ultimately came to the same conclusion the poster above me did...go with binos. When I’m ready to purchase (soon I hope), that’s the route I will take. Also likely going to purchase a thermal device that can double as a good scanner.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just make sure whomever XLSH  Binos you decide to get, insure their return policy allows for returns for your hard earned money back in case you're not happy with your purchae. Most have a 10-15 day return policy. Hope this helps.
View Quote

@TNVC
I purchased my 14 from you all and my Super Hogster from Night Goggles.  I hope my next purchase is with you all as well!

ETA:
Your post makes me wonder if you may be insinuating that I wouldn't be happy with binos.  Am I reading into that too much?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh they definitely want you to have binos.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@TNVC
I purchased my 14 from you all and my Super Hogster from Night Goggles.  I hope my next purchase is with you all as well!

ETA:
Your post makes me wonder if you may be insinuating that I wouldn't be happy with binos.  Am I reading into that too much?
View Quote

He's saying you may not be happy with the XLS specs or cosmetics.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm relatively new to the game but I'll give my 2 cents which may or may not be worth 2 cents

If you are on a limited budget which most of us are  dual 14s or binos are not worth the percentage of your budget they will consume. I have come to view NV as a vehicle for transporting my thermals around and thermals that are worth transporting are expensive and will consume most of your budget.

After a lot of fiddling my setup for most larps is looking like xls pvs14 and coti on left eye and a nox18 on a neck lanyard. This is easy on my neck and allows the nox to be popped up to my eye or quickly popped onto my bridge or rifle.

Another thing to consider if your looking at the xls bnvd is the specs in a lot of cases seem to not be that great compared to the xls pvs14s. People have posted snr in mid 20s with photo under 2k and relatively high ebi. In high heat/humidity under canopy this is going to suck. If seriously considering the xls bnvd I would get on jrh's website and make sure you read and understand the disclaimers for this product.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, slow down!  lol  XLS BNVD.  I see BNVD on TNVC's website, do I not?  Is that a different BNVD than a XLS BVND that you mention?  I'm confused.

Also, are you saying that dual PVS14's will always be better performing than any BNVD?  

I guess I'm sorta asking what is "XLS"?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#14]
BNVD can be a generic term but it’s also a model name for a commercial housing. TNVC has binocular systems but others have BNVDs.

A true binocular is always better at being a binocular than two bridged 14s.

XLS is a commercial/blemish spec tube grade from Elbit Systems America. Consider it (potentially) as low a performer as any Gen three you’ll buy today. Or it could have great specs. Pick a vendor that will let you send back a low spec unit if you don’t like it. Or pick a higher grade tube.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
BNVD can be a generic term but it’s also a model name for a commercial housing. TNVC has binocular systems but others have BNVDs.

A true binocular is always better at being a binocular than two bridged 14s.

XLS is a commercial/blemish spec tube grade from Elbit Systems America. Consider it (potentially) as low a performer as any Gen three you’ll buy today. Or it could have great specs. Pick a vendor that will let you send back a low spec unit if you don’t like it. Or pick a higher grade tube.
View Quote

This. The bnvd is the housing. It has 2 tubes while a pvs14 has one. The tubes have specs. The specs on my xls pvs14s from tnvc are quite good and they work well. Some of the specs from the xls bnvd people have posted are not that great. All that being said I don't think tnvc or jrh put out anything thats junk but some units work better than others. I consider my xls to be a great value for what I paid and the money saved went to thermals.

Eta xls is the tnvc name for the Elbit commercial tubes. I'm pretty sure jrh calls them xlsh or something but i think its the same thing. Jrh also has the photonos or whatever for not much more that has a tube made by a different manufacturer.

If I was going to step up from my xls I'd probably jump up all the way to the tnvc WP filmless.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
A median XLS is a great value. A bad one is a bad value. A great one is a great value. Pick a retailer that will let you send it back if you don’t like the specs.

But if you want binos, get a bino housing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A median XLS is a great value. A bad one is a bad value. A great one is a great value. Pick a retailer that will let you send it back if you don’t like the specs.

But if you want binos, get a bump housing.
View Quote

I thank you for the info, but you got to treat me like I'm dumb!  "Bump housing"?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I thank you for the info, but you got to treat me like I'm dumb!  "Bump housing"?
View Quote

That’s when you type bino housing but autocorrect thinks it knows better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That’s when you type bino housing but autocorrect thinks it knows better.
View Quote

HAHA!  Gotcha!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#21]
THANK YOU for such an in depth and clear description.  All of that is what I have been pondering all morning.  How to distinguish between good, better, best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top