Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

Me as well. I wear a medium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BrentB17:
Originally Posted By sp1shooter:
I'm short and thick too. I went with a medium JPC 1, it fits but is as small as it can go. Wish I could have tried a small.

I’m 6’1” and 210 pounds and my legs grow out of my neck so that’s where I get hung up. Following all of these charts on the internet it says I’d be in a large but I just have super long legs and a shorter torso.

Ok that settles it then I’m going Medium. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#2]
Crye Precision JPC 2.0, MultiCam Arid
RMA Defense Level III+ RF2 Multi-Curve Plates, Large (1093s)
Haley Strategic D3CR Micro Chest Placard
Haley Strategic Triple 5.56 Magazine Insert
Haley Strategic Side Tension Straps
AXL Advanced Admin Zipper
Forward Observations Canoe Club Patch
URT URT Charlie's Patch

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:54:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smitty_007] [#3]

View All Quotes
I'm short and thick too. I went with a medium JPC 1, it fits but is as small as it can go. Wish I could have tried a small.

I’m 6’1” and 210 pounds and my legs grow out of my neck so that’s where I get hung up. Following all of these charts on the internet it says I’d be in a large but I just have super long legs and a shorter torso.

I’ve gone back and forth on plate size…currently I have 10x12’s, but I want to move to SAPI cut RMA RF2’s or Hesco M210’s.

Medium SAPIs are on the verge of too small in width, but I think a Large SAPI would be slightly too wide.  What I need is a 10x13.5!

Everyone I’ve asked says to choose what’s more important to me between mobility and coverage since I’m in between.  If you can get your hands on one of each at a local shop, I’d recommend that.  My local shop doesn’t have any SAPI, and I swear everyone around here says “just get 10x12 shooter’s cut”.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

I’ve gone back and forth on plate size…currently I have 10x12’s, but I want to move to SAPI cut RMA RF2’s or Hesco M210’s.

Medium SAPIs are on the verge of too small in width, but I think a Large SAPI would be slightly too wide.  What I need is a 10x13.5!

Everyone I’ve asked says to choose what’s more important to me between mobility and coverage since I’m in between.  If you can get your hands on one of each at a local shop, I’d recommend that.  My local shop doesn’t have any SAPI, and I swear everyone around here says “just get 10x12 shooter’s cut”.
View All Quotes

I disagree with the mobility vs coverage thing. Imo you should choose the smaller size 100% of the time. People like to put PC's on and think they are the juggernaut which is a faulty way of thinking-plates are supposed to be a second chance when you fuck up, not turn you into a human tank. I find the added mobility goes a long way into making myself small and getting behind cover.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]

I disagree with the mobility vs coverage thing. Imo you should choose the smaller size 100% of the time. People like to put PC's on and think they are the juggernaut which is a faulty way of thinking-plates are supposed to be a second chance when you fuck up, not turn you into a human tank. I find the added mobility goes a long way into making myself small and getting behind cover.
View All Quotes

Scuba Steve has me re-thinking my 3810s.

I wanted .308 rating because I think it's common enough, but his U210s might stop that anyways and are literally half as thick
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

I wanted .308 rating because I think it's common enough, but his U210s might stop that anyways and are literally half as thick
View All Quotes

U210's are pretty awesome. They aren't any lighter than the 3810's though (or not enough to really make a difference). So unless you need a concealment vest I don't really see much of an improvement. It should also be noted that while they are rated for a wide variety of threats, Thinner plates will not hold up to multiple strikes as many times as their thicker counter parts-or at the very least are not rated to.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:56:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#7]

U210's are pretty awesome. They aren't any lighter than the 3810's though (or not enough to really make a difference). So unless you need a concealment vest I don't really see much of an improvement. It should also be noted that while they are rated for a wide variety of threats, Thinner plates will not hold up to multiple strikes as many times as their thicker counter parts-or at the very least are not rated to.
View All Quotes

Agree with all that.

Bonus to me is thinner because mags on the front already make it fatter.

To give an example, I ordered on my first PC a rifle+pistol mag front. Sounds great right? Yeah put it on it is horrible. I'd go naked but it's just too easy to get 3 extra mags so I'm doing that.

I'm probably keeping my 3810s but he did get me thinking about it
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#8]

Agree with all that.

To give an example, I ordered on my first PC a rifle+pistol mag front. Sounds great right? Yeah put it on it is horrible. I'd go naked but it's just too easy to get 3 extra mags so I'm doing that.

View All Quotes

Agree with all that.

Honestly if I didn't get such a screaming deal on my 3810's I would have gone with the u210's since .308 battle rifles aren't really a common threat and anybody using larger calibers are sitting further away using more magnification anyway. If that was me behind say an sr25 and saw someone wearing plates, I would aim for where there's no coverage anyway making mid sized caliber armor pointless anyway. I'm assuming you're using an esstac placard-while nice they sit out too far for my liking and stick to elastic ones these days. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Honestly if I didn't get such a screaming deal on my 3810's I would have gone with the u210's since .308 battle rifles aren't really a common threat and anybody using larger calibers are sitting further away using more magnification anyway. If that was me behind say an sr25 and saw someone wearing plates, I would aim for where there's no coverage anyway making mid sized caliber armor pointless anyway. I'm assuming you're using an esstac placard-while nice they sit out too far for my liking and stick to elastic ones these days. Ymmv.
View Quote

Its still new to me, but I’m starting to like the elastic stuff a bit more too. The Spiritus MK5 is my placard and it sits pretty tight. I should be running it in a class soon and really tweaking out the bugs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CJ47:

Its still new to me, but I’m starting to like the elastic stuff a bit more too. The Spiritus MK5 is my placard and it sits pretty tight. I should be running it in a class soon and really tweaking out the bugs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJ47:

Unobtainium just did a SLED insert for the mk5... it vastly improved magazine indexing/storage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Unobtainium just did a SLED insert for the mk5... it vastly improved magazine indexing/storage.
View Quote

You ought to be a paid sales rep for Unobtanium by now lol you rep them good. Now that I think about it, you recommended a lot of stuff I have bought and am looking into. I’ll look into their insert. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol I pretty much designed the jsta and spiritus inserts for him. He's a super cool dude.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#13]
This thread is light on pics lately!

Admittedly, I don't train like some of ya'll.  I'm not usually at it for more than a day but it still feels right to have hydration capability.  I also prioritized GP and multi-tool over more mags.  Batteries for all electronics which supplement the batteries already kept in grips, helmet, etc.  

This is the only PC I've owned but it is damn comfortable.  It shifts slightly in movement when the front is full of stuff but totally wearable for longer periods and I'm no athlete at almost 50.

I do need to figure out a better way to secure my PTT.  The jaw clamp it came with isnt the answer.  Otherwise, it all comes together nicely for my use.

Hesco L210 special threats (large)
Spiritus LV119 (Large)
Spiritus Microfight placard
Spiritus triple AR stretchy mag insert, Spiritus double pistol stretchy mag insert (used for utility mostly)
Spiritus GP Pouch
Spiritus elastic cummerbund (I find these way more comfy than the tubes but I'm also a fluffy desk diver)
Whiskey Two Four zip-on backpack
Camelbak Crux 100oz
TRex TQ holder kept at 6pm belly
Unity Spark IR Light (nods training)
Disco 32 PTT (comms training....Baofeng gang yikes)

for size reference without accessories before i changed tubes to elastic
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Lol I pretty much designed the jsta and spiritus inserts for him. He's a super cool dude.
View Quote

@hoody2shoez how’s the retention on the unobtainium sleds?  I’m looking hard at his AVS flap for my SPC but was trying to figure if I need the flaps too.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bdover:

@hoody2shoez how’s the retention on the unobtainium sleds?  I’m looking hard at his AVS flap for my SPC but was trying to figure if I need the flaps too.

View All Quotes

Are you jumping or doing maritime things? Flaps/some type of retention is smart. Otherwise not needed. Ive had a mag upside down on mine for about 6 weeks now and even with running and jumping its never fallen out. No additional retention
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
This thread is light on pics lately!

Admittedly, I don't train like some of ya'll.  I'm not usually at it for more than a day but it still feels right to have hydration capability.  I also prioritized GP and multi-tool over more mags.  Batteries for all electronics which supplement the batteries already kept in grips, helmet, etc.  

This is the only PC I've owned but it is damn comfortable.  It shifts slightly in movement when the front is full of stuff but totally wearable for longer periods and I'm no athlete at almost 50.

I do need to figure out a better way to secure my PTT.  The jaw clamp it came with isnt the answer.  Otherwise, it all comes together nicely for my use.

Hesco L210 special threats (large)
Spiritus LV119 (Large)
Spiritus Microfight placard
Spiritus triple AR stretchy mag insert, Spiritus double pistol stretchy mag insert (used for utility mostly)
Spiritus GP Pouch
Spiritus elastic cummerbund (I find these way more comfy than the tubes but I'm also a fluffy desk diver)
Whiskey Two Four zip-on backpack
Camelbak Crux 100oz
TRex TQ holder kept at 6pm belly
Unity Spark IR Light (nods training)
Disco 32 PTT (comms training....Baofeng gang yikes)

https://i.imgur.com/nzvgXbLh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zSVjB66h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rd2G5jxh.jpg

for size reference without accessories before i changed tubes to elastic
https://i.imgur.com/hTCCs4yh.jpg
View Quote

@DV8EDD
looks good!
Wtf panel is awesome. I love mine
For the ptt-take the clamp off and buy some type of ptt retainer. See pics
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Are you jumping or doing maritime things? Flaps/some type of retention is smart. Otherwise not needed. Ive had a mag upside down on mine for about 6 weeks now and even with running and jumping its never fallen out. No additional retention
View Quote

@hoody2shoez I hope I don't have to.  Thats what I wanted to confirm before I jumped on it.  Looks like I'll be ordering one in the next week along with his TQ pouch.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#18]

@DV8EDD
looks good!
Wtf panel is awesome. I love mine
For the ptt-take the clamp off and buy some type of ptt retainer. See pics
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/download__1__jpeg-2852109.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/gear-rigs-plate-carrier-parts-ferro-conc-2852110.JPG
View Quote

Thanks, I'll take a look!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:41:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#19]
@bdover
I dont use the tq danglers. I hate having tq's there-they always rub/get uncomfortable for me. Too many other places to layer/stack. I would recommend you get it without the tq and buy a cheap tq dangler add on to try out, so if you don't like it you can remove it. Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#20]
@bdover
I dont use the tq danglers. I hate having tq's there-they always rub/get uncomfortable for me. Too many other places to layer/stack. I would recommend you get it without the tq and buy a cheap tq dangler add on to try out, so if you don't like it you can remove it. Ymmv
View Quote

@hoody2shoez  I was talking more of a molle mounted one; i've got an elastic trex one i'm not a fan of that is below my plates.  I've got a dangler set up on a recce rig that I don't mind.   I was talking the flashbang pouch that he notes works with TQs.  this one:

https://unobtainiumgear.com/products/longship-designs-flashbang-pouch
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#21]
@BDOVER
Gotcha. Ya those will work. Spiritus tq pouch will work. You could also buy a cheap dangler add on and mount it vertically next to the placard. You could buy some shock cord and attach it that way. Don't overthink/overspend on this. A lot of gp pouches have drainage holes underneath you could route some sock cord though as well.

Basically, don't buy a $30 pouch for something you're not even sure if you like. Buy a cheap $10 Amazon pouch and see if it's workable for you
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe move this convo to PM?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Maybe move this convo to PM?
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#24]
After spending countless hours researching Plates / Carriers - its crazy how fragmented and complex this gear can be. That said, I'm stuck deciding between two plates, which will help drive my carrier choice.

HESCO M210 v. RMA 1092 Gen2

I am prioritizing M855A1 over 308. Thinking being A1 will become more prevalent over the next 10years and an AR15 is my most likely foe. Although 308 coverage would be great, it would likely come from a magnified distance and seeing how little coverage a plate really is, I'm probably done anyways by an unseen sniper w/ 308.

So go with the M210 right? Save the weight and thickness.. But is it true that the 1092 is thicker/heavier because it has more backing material and foam? Would this equate to more comfortable? and if it did stop a round - less backface deflection / internal injury? Plus it is slightly cheaper.

I'm between these plates due to budget (~$550-$650 for the pair). I know there's better but damn it gets expensive fast.

My goal is to have a minimalist setup. Basically if I'm throwing on a chest rig to carry extra mags I might as well have some armor in it. So weight and bulk is a factor but if I am honest concealment is not.

Once I have the plate decided I'll determine carrier, but the list so far is: Slickster, JPC2.0, MEPC, LV119, K-Zero, Deaodon

Thoughts? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Why?
View Quote

Because this is a pic thread and this convo unfolding before our eyes is uniquely specific to the participants; feels like it should move to a PM conversation. Call me crazy!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Bushtree:
After spending countless hours researching Plates / Carriers - its crazy how fragmented and complex this gear can be. That said, I'm stuck deciding between two plates, which will help drive my carrier choice.

I am prioritizing M855A1 over 308. Thinking being A1 will become more prevalent over the next 10years and an AR15 is my most likely foe. Although 308 coverage would be great, it would likely come from a magnified distance and seeing how little coverage a plate really is, I'm probably done anyways by an unseen sniper w/ 308.

So go with the M210 right? Save the weight and thickness.. But is it true that the 1092 is thicker/heavier because it has more backing material and foam? Would this equate to more comfortable? and if it did stop a round - less backface deflection / internal injury? Plus it is slightly cheaper.

I'm between these plates due to budget (~$550-$650 for the pair). I know there's better but damn it gets expensive fast.

My goal is to have a minimalist setup. Basically if I'm throwing on a chest rig to carry extra mags I might as well have some armor in it. So weight and bulk is a factor but if I am honest concealment is not.

Once I have the plate decided I'll determine carrier, but the list so far is: Slickster, JPC2.0, MEPC, LV119, K-Zero, Deaodon

Thoughts? Thanks!
View Quote

@bushtree you're overthinking this. Stop the rounds you need to be able to stop in the lightest package you can afford. I think mid sized caliber protection is overrated. Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Because this is a pic thread and this convo unfolding before our eyes is uniquely specific to the participants; feels like it should move to a PM conversation. Call me crazy!
View All Quotes

Why?

I think hashing out little details on stuff that works/doesn't work is a great addition.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#28]

I think hashing out little details on stuff that works/doesn't work is a great addition.
View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Why?

You just described most of the threads in this sub forum.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Which storage box is that? Looks huge but very solid.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Gasman:

Which storage box is that? Looks huge but very solid.
View Quote

It’s the Pelican 1650. Has a pair of wheels and a handle on the opposite end to maneuver.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWHAILYEAH] [#32]
Crye Precision JPC 2.0, MultiCam Arid
RMA Defense Level III+ RF2 Multi-Curve Plates, Large (1093s)
Haley Strategic D3CR Micro Chest Placard
Haley Strategic Triple 5.56 Magazine Insert
Haley Strategic Side Tension Straps
AXL Advanced Admin Zipper
Forward Observations Canoe Club Patch
URT URT Charlie's Patch

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52973032396_4284ab4e76_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52973032376_8e72d1c483_b.jpg
View Quote

@AZ_SBR

What gear case is that and size?

ETA:  Well shit already answered thanks...............
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#33]
Pelican 1650

Interior dimensions (L x W x D): 28.57 x 17.52 x 10.65 in
Exterior dimensions (L x W x D): 31.59 x 20.47 x 12.45 in

They also make lid organizers (pockets) and MOLLE panels for the lid.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 2:03:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#34]
Haven't posted in this thread in a while... random reminder to get out and wear your PC while doing PC shit.

Gray Ghost with Ten Speed three mag pouch and Battle Steel III+ plates.  Currently playing with running com wires

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Esstac gave away a Daeodon plate carrier with 3810s to whoever could do the most push ups before failure.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bushtree:

Thoughts? Thanks!
View Quote

I've no experience with the RMA, but I just got in a set of M210s from TRex Arms, who also threw in their AC1 carrier. The plates are damned thin- almost as thin as my Velocity Systems PBZs- and the carrier's going to be my primary slick carrier. If you're really worried about comfort and you like the M210's threat profile, just get a set of backers. That being said, I've never seen a need for plate padding unless it's an ICW plate that needs the backer. I'll be running the 210s without a backer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Pelican 1650

Interior dimensions (L x W x D): 28.57 x 17.52 x 10.65 in
Exterior dimensions (L x W x D): 31.59 x 20.47 x 12.45 in

View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lew:

I've no experience with the RMA, but I just got in a set of M210s from TRex Arms, who also threw in their AC1 carrier. The plates are damned thin- almost as thin as my Velocity Systems PBZs- and the carrier's going to be my primary slick carrier. If you're really worried about comfort and you like the M210's threat profile, just get a set of backers. That being said, I've never seen a need for plate padding unless it's an ICW plate that needs the backer. I'll be running the 210s without a backer.
View Quote

@lew I’ve got m210 in a crye SPC.  If feels a TON thinner than my other rf2 plates in the same Carrier, even though it’s only a 1/2” difference.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#39]

@lew I’ve got m210 in a crye SPC.  If feels a TON thinner than my other rf2 plates in the same Carrier, even though it’s only a 1/2” difference.
View All Quotes

@ bdover  I talked with my brother and he has the RMA plates. The Hescos are substantially thinner.

How do you like the SPC?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#40]

@ bdover  I talked with my brother and he has the RMA plates. The Hescos are substantially thinner.

How do you like the SPC?
View Quote

@lew  I love it honestly.  Only caveat was that I needed my shoulder pads with actual padding, the OEM ones didn't do it for me.  My only issues was fitment.  I'm a 44" chest & a 32" waist so I have it way cinched down; that was 2 hours of trial & error and then adjusting again after taking it to the track for a jog.  I think currently loaded its at 22 lbs with 5 mags, tq, ifak, some misc stuff; I've got a water bladder in a pouch on the back & should be taking it out this weekend for a ruck to see how it does.   I don't know if I'd pay new prices for one, but I grabbed mine off the EE.  

At this point I've got it pretty well set up, the only additional thing I might do is to make it a QD cummerbund with AXL parts.   PM if you want me to email you some pics.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#41]

@lew  I love it honestly.  Only caveat was that I needed my shoulder pads with actual padding, the OEM ones didn't do it for me.  My only issues was fitment.  I'm a 44" chest & a 32" waist so I have it way cinched down; that was 2 hours of trial & error and then adjusting again after taking it to the track for a jog.  I think currently loaded its at 22 lbs with 5 mags, tq, ifak, some misc stuff; I've got a water bladder in a pouch on the back & should be taking it out this weekend for a ruck to see how it does.   I don't know if I'd pay new prices for one, but I grabbed mine off the EE.  

At this point I've got it pretty well set up, the only additional thing I might do is to make it a QD cummerbund with AXL parts.   PM if you want me to email you some pics.
View All Quotes

How do you like the SPC?

@bdover That sounds most excellent. I debated long and hard between the SPC and JPC, and then Crye had a sale on JPCs, which tipped my hand. I appreciate the pics offer, but I was just curious. My JPC does what I need it to, and most of my intended usage is covered by a slick carrier and Brit-style belt kit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:51:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Space-Cadet] [#42]
Self accessible pack panel...https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/20230509_170611_jpg-2811206.JPG
View Quote

Don't think it'll necessarily be an issue with your setup, but I've noticed an issue before of backpack straps sliding off of the sides of the plate carrier shoulder straps.

If using 1" webbing for the straps of the DIY plate carrier pack/panel, you might be able to tie cordage through the holes of 1" tee-mounts to the straps of your carrier, and then slot in the 1" straps into the tee-mount to prevent them from slipping off, while still allowing you to move the straps if you need to access the pack.

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I've had a a mind gremlin attacking me for a minute now

I think most of the concealable carriers people have setup are really kind of misnomers -- the biggest issue being that most people are using SAPI/swimmer cut plates/platebags, which aren't optimized for concealment.

Obviously a soft armor vest will be the most concealable, but if you want rifle threats, there's only really one option for true concealment -- that being the Velocity Systems Ultra Low Vis plate cut.

Attachment Attached File

They've made a lot of strides over the years, namely in materials composition. Originally offered in a titanium and steel offering (with the steel being more prevalent, and heavy as fuck), they were very thin but had some drawbacks.

More recently they've released a pure UHMPWE level III plate, which is extremely light, but also very thicc.

The above picture is of their new-new, special threat ceramic plate. 0.52" thick, and 4.2 lbs per plate.

Threat profile:
- 7.62 x 39 Armor Piercing Incendiary (API-BZ), Multi-Hit
- 7.62 x 39 Mild Steel Core, PS Ball
- 7.62 x 51 NATO M80 Ball, Multi-Hit
- 5.56 x 45 M855, Multi-Hit
- 5.56 x 45 M855 A1, Multi-Hit
- 5.56 x 45 M193, Multi-Hit
- 5.45 x 39 AK-74, Multi-Hit

Now, they've also made different variants of carriers for the plate cut, highly specialized for concealment (see EODFish's videos on the gen 1 and 2 of the carrier for the weirdness that the carriers are).

There's also a shirt with plate pockets to house the ULV plates, but the shirts, along with the gen 1 and 2 carriers aren't super versatile and I have doubts as to their longevity/durability.

Luckily, they have more conventional construction carriers available.

Attachment Attached File

I think this carrier (if you remove the female swiftclip), in conjunction with a g-hook elastic placard, and an elastic/slotted cummerbund (like below), would be extremely concealable and capable of being scaled based on need.

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet:

I think most of the concealable carriers people have setup are really kind of misnomers -- the biggest issue being that most people are using SAPI/swimmer cut plates/platebags, which aren't optimized for concealment.

Obviously a soft armor vest will be the most concealable, but if you want rifle threats, there's only really one option for true concealment -- that being the Velocity Systems Ultra Low Vis plate cut.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/520283/low-visibility-bz-stand-alone-plate-ulv--2857756.JPG

They've made a lot of strides over the years, namely in materials composition. Originally offered in a titanium and steel offering (with the steel being more prevalent, and heavy as fuck), they were very thin but had some drawbacks.

More recently they've released a pure UHMPWE level III plate, which is extremely light, but also very thicc.

The above picture is of their new-new, special threat ceramic plate. 0.52" thick, and 4.2 lbs per plate.

Threat profile:

Now, they've also made different variants of carriers for the plate cut, highly specialized for concealment (see EODFish's videos on the gen 1 and 2 of the carrier for the weirdness that the carriers are).

There's also a shirt with plate pockets to house the ULV plates, but the shirts, along with the gen 1 and 2 carriers aren't super versatile and I have doubts as to their longevity/durability.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/520283/low-vis-carrier-plate-carriers_2_529_720-2857760.JPG

I think this carrier (if you remove the female swiftclip), in conjunction with a g-hook elastic placard, and an elastic/slotted cummerbund (like below), would be extremely concealable and capable of being scaled based on need.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0154/1077/products/FERRO_CONCEPTS_CEC_CARRY_ELASTIC_CUMMERBUND_SLICKSTER_FCPC_MULTICAM_53e03c83-5be8-4d94-93b7-64e7ac009a60_1024x1024.png?v=1619559562

View Quote

That carrier sucks
Those plates suck

Speaking from tons of experience with it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#45]

That carrier sucks
Those plates suck

View Quote

i guess if you want concealability you need compromises....

A lifetime ago i bought the thin metal concealable plates and carrier from Battlelab, it was a basic carrier like that and it was definitely more comfortable than the "concealable" carrier i wore with the UHWPE plates form the italian issue body armor vest which were light but big.
If i remember correctly there was also Patriot Performance Materials that made tiny sized very thin concealable ceramic plates that were to be used ICW their concealable IIIA, that is why i dind't buy it.

I don't own it, but i was expecting the Velocity carrier and plates (that entered the market some 15 years later that the Battlelab one) to be an improved model. Honestly i don't understand why they want to add kit carrying capability to a concealable vest.

Is the first spear concealable carrier better? i read it is a SAPI sized carrier
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#46]

That carrier sucks
Those plates suck

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/520283/low-visibility-bz-stand-alone-plate-ulv--2857756.JPG

Threat profile:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/520283/low-vis-carrier-plate-carriers_2_529_720-2857760.JPG

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0154/1077/products/FERRO_CONCEPTS_CEC_CARRY_ELASTIC_CUMMERBUND_SLICKSTER_FCPC_MULTICAM_53e03c83-5be8-4d94-93b7-64e7ac009a60_1024x1024.png?v=1619559562

That carrier sucks
Those plates suck

What didn't you like about each?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:

i guess if you want concealability you need compromises....

A lifetime ago i bought the thin metal concealable plates and carrier from Battlelab, it was a basic carrier like that and it was definitely more comfortable than the "concealable" carrier i wore with the UHWPE plates form the italian issue body armor vest which were light but big.
If i remember correctly there was also Patriot Performance Materials that made tiny sized very thin concealable ceramic plates that were to be used ICW their concealable IIIA, that is why i dind't buy it.

I don't own it, but i was expecting the Velocity carrier and plates (that entered the market some 15 years later that the Battlelab one) to be an improved model. Honestly i don't understand why they want to add kit carrying capability to a concealable vest.

Is the first spear concealable carrier better? i read it is a SAPI sized carrier
View Quote

What didn't you like about each?
View Quote

-It sucks at concealing
-The plates are wacky shapes/sizes
-The plates interfere with shouldering a rifle
-The plates are multicurve in name only. If you're in shape, they will protrude from the bottom. If you are fat good luck breathing.

So that is a gen 2 design. Those plates/carrier were specifically designed for a certain .gov agency that wanted them from their close protection agents in austere environments. While they "conceal" the shape of the plates tends to make you look like a turtle.

What you can't see is internally, that carrier has routing for serv/comms/ear pieces. The gen 1 did not have swift clip attachments.

We are issued two vests, this one and the mayflower one. Those plates fit poorly on regular PC's. Depending on if you were close protection or the counter assault element you would wear one or the other. This is the problem-we are only issued 1 ear piece kit and can switch between teams/jobs multiple times a day if required. Which meant ripping all your comms wires off, re-routing them into the other POS carrier, and hopping into a different truck. As you can imagine, this is super super annoying so we all bugged velocity systems to make an updated version so we can throw swift clips on for ease of swapping between elements. Now we have one vest that's either "concealed" or overt depending on assigned job.

Fwiw, the actual client's don't even wear those plates, they all wear hesco's or ltc's which do the job way better. They make us wear them.

I think im around 3000 hours wearing different versions of that carrier.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#48]

That carrier sucks
Those plates suck

View Quote
odd. I have the LEPC and like it quite a bit. I eventually switched over of one of the discount esstac deadon PC's cause esstac is life, and to be honest I think the LEPC is more comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
odd. I have the LEPC and like it quite a bit. I eventually switched over of one of the discount esstac deadon PC's cause esstac is life, and to be honest I think the LEPC is more comfortable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slappomatt:

That carrier sucks
Those plates suck

Because that's actual sapi/shooter cut
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#50]

Because that's actual sapi/shooter cut
View Quote
ah I reread the post. I was confused.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top