Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2018 9:28:17 PM EDT
Hey all, I'm starting a new kit build using a large JPC and I'm having a hard time sourcing 10x13 plates. The JPC is made for the original ESAPI spec 10 1/8" x 13 1/4". I really was interested in the Battle Steel lvl 4 ceramic composite plates sold by Botach but they only have sizes 10x12 and 11x14.

Maybe some of you know some manufacturers/distributors that use the correct ESAPI specs? I was also intending to keep it below or around $200 a plate.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
HighCom. Use code "AR15.COM" at checkout for 20% off. The 4SAS7 is a good budget plate. You can go up in price from there to get a lighter plate from HighCom if you want.

Also those Battle Steel plates are made from "imported materials". They're cheap for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HighCom. Use code "AR15.COM" at checkout for 20% off. The 4SAS7 is a good budget plate. You can go up in price from there to get a lighter plate from HighCom if you want.

Also those Battle Steel plates are made from "imported materials". They're cheap for a reason.
View Quote
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the info. I see that they're 10lbs a piece but I wonder if I would even be able to tell a difference. I'm used to wearing the issued ESAPI in large which is a little over 6lbs a piece. Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You will absolutely feel the diffrence between an Al2O3 strike face and an ESAPI. If you can up your budget to around 400/plate and are willing to level III the 3610 will be a much more bearable plate. If you feel the need for level IV, which is more than overkill for most CONUS threats, the 4600 is another good option at 7lbs for a SAPI large. There is also the Hesco 4400, which Life and liberty gear has for 199/plate and is .8lbs lighter. I would also encourage you to look at the 4S17M which has a 10 year warranty and is on the current NIJ list, so it includes a drop test for the plate.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You will absolutely feel the diffrence between an Al2O3 strike face and an ESAPI. If you can up your budget to around 400/plate and are willing to level III the 3610 will be a much more bearable plate. If you feel the need for level IV, which is more than overkill for most CONUS threats, the 4600 is another good option at 7lbs for a SAPI large. There is also the Hesco 4400, which Life and liberty gear has for 199/plate and is .8lbs lighter. I would also encourage you to look at the 4S17M which has a 10 year warranty and is on the current NIJ list, so it includes a drop test for the plate.
View Quote
In that case the HESCO 4400 and its slight weight savings seems like the better option. I don't need level IV, III would be just fine. Too bad there is no level III that's sub 8lbs for under $240 or so, unless I'm missing something. Have you used a set of 10lb plates? Any thoughts you'd like to share? I'm already not the most agile guy and I specifically picked the JPC to reduce bulk and clumsiness
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Spend the money on 3610 plates. Trust me, you WILL regret it if you do not. Level III+, stand alone, SAPI, multicurved. Don't try to eliminate any of those features and just find the best deal you can. In the end, you will probably just find a deal on 3610 plates, spend more than $200, and not regret spending that money one bit.

Esstac seems to have $400 3610 SAPI M or L for $400 a plate. Dont skimp on that extra $200 a plate and stuff an extra 6 pounds into your PC if you dont need level IV protection.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Spend the money on 3610 plates. Trust me, you WILL regret it if you do not. Level III+, stand alone, SAPI, multicurved. Don't try to eliminate any of those features and just find the best deal you can. In the end, you will probably just find a deal on 3610 plates, spend more than $200, and not regret spending that money one bit.

Esstac seems to have $400 3610 SAPI M or L for $400 a plate. Dont skimp on that extra $200 a plate and stuff an extra 6 pounds into your PC if you dont need level IV protection.
View Quote
You're right, I've been second guessing myself on the 4400s. I've been looking at my JPC and thinking with 20lbs of plates whats the point of having a minimalist carrier? I was thinking I could always upgrade to lighter plates later but I think I'll just plan to buy once, cry once with the 3610s.

They're over a lb lighter than the issued L Ceradyne ESAPIs I'm used to wearing (5.2lbs vs 6.3lbs) so that's pretty impressive.

I think I'll be content with just investing in 3610s in the long run, may take me longer and I may have to get one at a time, but I think I'm going to get these and never look back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top